Thread: Nikon>CCD --- Canon>CMOS

Default Nikon>CCD --- Canon>CMOS

Hi all,

I realised there is a different between the sensor type for Nikon and Canon.

One uses CCD and the other uses CMOS.

Can someone share why Nikon does not use CMOS and why Canon does not use CCD?

Is there a big difference between the two and which is better? Or should I even bother to know?

Thank you.
    Last edited by kevyan; 4th February 2006 at 03:28 PM.

Default Re: Nikon>CCD --- Canon>CMOS

there's a chart over here but i think due to improvements in technology, the cons are getting fewer.

Deregistered

D2X is CMOS....

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Hi all,

Is there a big difference between the two and which is better? Or should I even bother to know?

Thank you.
    The sensor itself is in both cases the same: photodiodes and capacitors that accumulate charges under illumination. The difference lies only in the strategy how these charges are read out, and from a manufacturing point of view the CMOS process is more widely available in chip foundries.

The different readout strategies have both their respective engineering advantages and disadvantages. Since there isn't a groundshaking difference in image quality between Canon and Nikon cameras, I would argue it doesn't really matter for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by kevyan
    Hi all,

Thank you.
    Nikon D2X uses CMOS and D2H uses LBCAST which is a JFET technology. There are some techinical reasons for using one or the other but I guess the biggest difference is that Canon develops their own sensor while Nikon buys available sensors for the D50, D70, D100 and D200, if I'm not wrong, from Sony who probably owns quite a lot of patents in the CCD technology.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Nikon D2X uses CMOS and D2H uses LBCAST which is a JFET technology. There are some techinical reasons for using one or the other but I guess the biggest difference is that Canon develops their own sensor while Nikon buys available sensors for the D50, D70, D100 and D200, if I'm not wrong, from Sony who probably owns quite a lot of patents in the CCD technology.
    But Sony seems to be shifting to CMOS tech for their high-end cameras. Look at the R1.

Honestly I doubt you should bother except for personal interest. At the end of the day, overall performance counts, not the individual parts.
    Last edited by solarii; 5th February 2006 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    But Sony seems to be shifting to CMOS tech for their high-end cameras. Look at the R1.

Honestly I doubt you should bother except for personal interest. At the end of the day, overall performance counts, not the individual parts.
    Yeah.. CMOS will be cheaper from the production point of view. As far as I'm concerned, it's just like using different brand of film. Just make the best of it.

However, that aside, I'm concerned because I'm an engineer in the electronics sector.