Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Laptop is good for image editing?

Default Re: Which Laptop is good for image editing?

I will choose 12" PowerBk Mac + 20" cinema Display + One More Mac key Board.

On the go.. you can use as laptop

And For Home-- Using PowerBk as a CPU (It could use like this without consuming your laptop's display) Plug the Keyboard and connect the Display..

colour is accurate although it is LCD

Once you use mac.. no turning back.. haha.. BBB

But of course... pricey..

Quote Originally Posted by erizai
    I will choose 12" PowerBk Mac + 20" cinema Display + One More Mac key Board.

On the go.. you can use as laptop

And For Home-- Using PowerBk as a CPU (It could use like this without consuming your laptop's display) Plug the Keyboard and connect the Display..

colour is accurate although it is LCD

Once you use mac.. no turning back.. haha.. BBB

But of course... pricey..
    woah... if like then you would benefit from docking station. I got my docking station for my laptop. so that i dont have to plug in my power cable, mouse, keyboard, 2x24", wacom 6x11, epson2100, HP laser 1020, motorola charger and media card reader.

basically with the docking station i can plugin of those in less than 1 sec.

oh just realised. a mac. no idea if a mac has got docking station.
    Last edited by anka; 15th February 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    woah... if like then you would benefit from docking station. I got my docking station for my laptop. so that i dont have to plug in my power cable, mouse, keyboard, 2x24", wacom 6x11, epson2100, HP laser 1020, motorola charger and media card reader.

oh just realised. a mac. no idea if a mac has got docking station.
    Mac Have... Third party one, but what for? you can take out your battery and use AC.. to save your battery's lifespan.. as for expansion; coughx2.. it use wireless.. coughx2.. printer, internet, even keyboard n mouse...

I agree about being everything wireless bit for a mac. but audio in/out, dual monitor out, A3/A2 printers dont have wireless unless you have a print server.

what i do with the docking station is I just dock the laptop into a custom built drawer and stowaway everything out of sight.

well, wacom tablet dont have wireless. unless you dont use 1,

media card readers dont have wireless. I dont have 1 either, but with 2x24" dell, i ended up with dual card readers.

but the key factor about docking station is able to plug IDE drives internally into it. which is really tidy and neat. with the docking station, I have a total of 3 internal IDE drives.

my wireless KB and mouse has got the dongle thingy. so.. *shrug* dont see the point in getting BT KB/mouse.

but another main reason why i got the docking station is the rapid charge for my batteries. I have 2x2 sets of batteries. which allows me to go on field for 24 hrs on batteries. the docking station charges both internal and external simultaneously.
    Last edited by anka; 16th February 2006 at 10:57 PM.

No battery needed, just plug in AC.. your battery only required when you want to go mobile. it just serve as a cpu.

Speaker have.. Apple airtune .. it can remote the speaker and printer as well..

I agree about being everything wireless bit for a mac. but audio in/out, dual monitor out, A3/A2 printers dont have wireless unless you have a print server.

what i do with the docking station is I just dock the laptop into a custom built drawer and stowaway everything out of sight.

well, wacom tablet dont have wireless. unless you dont use 1,

media card readers dont have wireless. I dont have 1 either, but with 2x24" dell, i ended up with dual card readers.

but the key factor about docking station is able to plug IDE drives internally into it. which is really tidy and neat. with the docking station, I have a total of 3 internal IDE drives.

my wireless KB and mouse has got the dongle thingy. so.. *shrug* dont see the point in getting BT KB/mouse.

but another main reason why i got the docking station is the rapid charge for my batteries. I have 2x2 sets of batteries. which allows me to go on field for 24 hrs on batteries. the docking station charges both internal and external simultaneously.

fast solution to all hook up problems...that's the cross we have to bear for Win users...just so many options of things that can be plugged in

No battery needed, just plug in AC.. your battery only required when you want to go mobile. it just serve as a cpu.

Speaker have.. Apple airtune .. it can remote the speaker and printer as well..

I just got another thing new, it just arrived this morning. .. I dont have to plug my laptop battery into the laptop to charge it. I can just charge it with a seperate cradle that charges up to 10 laptop batteries simultaneously.

buying another 6 batteries is going to allow me to sustain 36 hours on batteries. not that i need it anyway.
    Last edited by anka; 17th February 2006 at 11:15 AM.

What is, approximately, the price of a decent docking station for a Windows-based laptop?

the docking station is around $200-$250. it depends which manufacturer it is.. Mine is HP. only the business class laptops have docking facilities for HP so it seems.

HP options are here..
    http://h30143.www3.hp.com/options.cf...=oid&val=64295

HP's Charging Cradle. DT534A
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12257_na.html

HP Advance Docking Station PA287A
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../12075_na.html
    the docking station has got a 2A USB2 port. for high powered devices. like those USB harddisk. can draw power from there.
    Last edited by anka; 17th February 2006 at 11:38 AM.

Oh, so the docking station is not universal. Ah, I am really interested to get an Acer laptop, and purchase a docking station for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    Oh, so the docking station is not universal. Ah, I am really interested to get an Acer laptop, and purchase a docking station for it though.
    if i recalled correctly acer do not offer options for external battery and docking station.

and from what i know, only HP docking station allows the laptop internal and external battery to be plugged in and dock at the same time. seems like HP got it right with the design.

Damn, and there goes my hope.

Anyway, I am looking at below S$3000 for a laptop that is efficient enough for most image processing applications, of which I preferred at least 1GB of RAM, core-duo CPU if possible, decent pro-gaming graphics card (which are offered by the Acer Aspire 5672WLMi - http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....8&postcount=17), widescreen display is mandatory, since I watched alot of HDTV programmes from the Amerika and BBC.

What do you recommend, and do you think HP do provide such price range with such specifications? Sorry, I am at office now, can't go through all those pricelists.
    Last edited by Slivester; 17th February 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Acer ezDock

Only for their high end 8000 series and their ultraportable 3000 series...look at the rear of the laptop and you can see the connections for the dock in these 2 series...

Have been eyeing the 3000 series...will wait for the dual core version

nice. good searching RBK. i didnt know that acer had docking. the concept of aceris quite good. interface via PCIe. HP I presume is propietry.

as for HP, nope, no business class has got dual-core yet.

side note on acer. it seems that acer prefers to use their own wireless NIC rather than Intel. hence there are not centrino. centrino is basically intel CPU, intel Chipset and intel wireless = centrino.

I have got a friend who has the the acer ferrari. she complains to me that the wireless is ver hard to be stable as in it keeps disconnecting even thou the router is just next room. even in school she experienced the same thing. I am not sure about other models. just a note that's all.

if i am not wrong about HP. only the 8000 and 6000 series has got the docking..

all i can say is the nw8240. it doesnt have dual-core but it has
    1920x1200 15.4" LCD matte
    up to 2Gb of ram. mine is max to 2Gb already
    ATI FireGL GPU.
    2.26Ghz Intel

for those who have intel laptops. those of sonoma core.. download NOTEBOOK HARDWARE CONTROL.. google it

at lowest x6=800Mhz. reduce the voltage from 0.988V to 0.7xx. that will give you more juice power.

and at highest x17(2.26Ghz) reduce from 1.408v to 1.0xx. that will give you about 1-2 hours extra batter power.

Does docking station provides IDE sockets? If so, I will most definitely go for one laptop that docks, otherwise, I should do fine with what a laptop has to offer.

Sorry. I think you got me wrong.

The battery is not neccessary when you at home. you can charged it full, stand by for going out. that save your lifespan on the batt. at home just use AC. in short just treat your powerbk as a cpu. that's it. you don't even need to open up the LCD. just plug it with the display.

I just got another thing new, it just arrived this morning. .. I dont have to plug my laptop battery into the laptop to charge it. I can just charge it with a seperate cradle that charges up to 10 laptop batteries simultaneously.

buying another 6 batteries is going to allow me to sustain 36 hours on batteries. not that i need it anyway.

Sorry. I think you got me wrong.

The battery is not neccessary when you at home. you can charged it full, stand by for going out. that save your lifespan on the batt. at home just use AC. in short just treat your powerbk as a cpu. that's it. you don't even need to open up the LCD. just plug it with the display.

if i were u i would only charge the batts a few hours before going out.

li-ion loses about 3% a day. storing at 100% only damages the battery. Li-ion is meant to be in storage with 30-40% capacity.

Does docking station provides IDE sockets? If so, I will most definitely go for one laptop that docks, otherwise, I should do fine with what a laptop has to offer.
    go for sata. just grab a PCMCIA SATA. docking functions varies from brand to brand. some has, some doesnt.

hmm. i dont think acer got docking station ar.. im also using acer.. whats your model? mine is the quite outdated[cuz now got dual core laptop] aspire 5502wxmi..but can still see the newer updated models at other stores..

go for sata. just grab a PCMCIA SATA. docking functions varies from brand to brand. some has, some doesnt.
    Alright, thats a really helpful tip from you!

So how will the harddisk be sat? I mean in terms of the ribbon cable and power supply.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast