Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Question abt developing digital photo

  1. #1
    Galaa
    Guests

    Default Question abt developing digital photo

    Hi! Ive never developed the photos taken with my digicam b4, so would like to have help pls.
    My photos are usually taken in HQ and SHQ mode. I would like to print them out at normal photo size(4R I think). Do I have to resize my photos before sending them to be developed?
    How much is the average cost of each photo and time taken to develop?

    Thats all thanks alot!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Question abt developing digital photo

    Originally posted by Galaa
    Hi! Ive never developed the photos taken with my digicam b4, so would like to have help pls.
    My photos are usually taken in HQ and SHQ mode. I would like to print them out at normal photo size(4R I think). Do I have to resize my photos before sending them to be developed?
    How much is the average cost of each photo and time taken to develop?

    Thats all thanks alot!
    Don't do too much to the photos, don't worry about ppi/dpi. Just make sure the resolution (dimension wise) is enough for the print you want to do. I do not know the dimensions for SHQ and HQ (and it varies even on different level of Oly cameras.) At most, just crop to the desired aspect ratio.

    But basically, you need :
    640x480 for 4R
    1280x1024 for 5R
    1600x1024 for 8R
    2048x1536 for 10R

    Note, these are MINIMUM. Up to a certain point, sending a higher resolution file will give better results.

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    WAT? WAN TO STALK MI AH? LOLZ
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    no wonder... cos i developed my digi pics too... and turn out real sucky! =(

  4. #4

    Default Re: Re: Question abt developing digital photo

    Hi Ckiang,

    Means that I can still submit 1600x1024 and ask them to develop into 4R?

    Thanks!

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Don't do too much to the photos, don't worry about ppi/dpi. Just make sure the resolution (dimension wise) is enough for the print you want to do. I do not know the dimensions for SHQ and HQ (and it varies even on different level of Oly cameras.) At most, just crop to the desired aspect ratio.

    But basically, you need :
    640x480 for 4R
    1280x1024 for 5R
    1600x1024 for 8R
    2048x1536 for 10R

    Note, these are MINIMUM. Up to a certain point, sending a higher resolution file will give better results.

    Regards
    CK

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    On his behalf (since he's gone to bed for the night!) the answer is yes, you can. It will result in better pictures than just sending 640x480.

  6. #6

    Default

    Originally posted by Jed
    On his behalf (since he's gone to bed for the night!) the answer is yes, you can. It will result in better pictures than just sending 640x480.
    Hee ok thanks Jed!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    You're most welcome.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I'm sending in 1600x1067 resolution pics for 4R....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Re: Re: Question abt developing digital photo

    Originally posted by Blitz
    Hi Ckiang,

    Means that I can still submit 1600x1024 and ask them to develop into 4R?

    Thanks!

    Ah, I see Jed has replied on my behalf (thanks!). Yup, just send them in as is.

    Regards
    CK

  10. #10
    choonwei
    Guests

    Default

    where do u all usually develope ur photos guys?

    See newspaper ads, Fujifilm offering $0.50 for 4R (no minimum)with handling charge of $5.00 per order. Free postal delivery too.
    Can also order your prints online.

    What do you all think of this offer?

    One ridiculous price i've been quoted was from Standard Photo in Hougang, $1.60 for a single 4R shot.

    Cheerz
    Last edited by choonwei; 19th February 2002 at 12:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I pay $0.30 (after 15% discount) for a 4R at Standard Photo, Raffles Place.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  12. #12
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    Hmm.. personally I found Standard Photo's prints are of not very good quality. I have one roll of fashion show pics printed by them that have a yellowish tint, where as another roll taken in the same event that was printed by Konota and the quality was absolutely stunning...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by choonwei
    where do u all usually develope ur photos guys?

    See newspaper ads, Fujifilm offering $0.50 for 4R (no minimum)with handling charge of $5.00 per order. Free postal delivery too.
    Can also order your prints online.

    What do you all think of this offer?

    One ridiculous price i've been quoted was from Standard Photo in Hougang, $1.60 for a single 4R shot.

    Cheerz
    A few months ago, the most ridiculous price I've seen is the Standard Photo in West Mall. $18 per 3 4Rs. Apparently they print 3 per A4 page.

    Regards
    CK

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by ziploc
    Hmm.. personally I found Standard Photo's prints are of not very good quality. I have one roll of fashion show pics printed by them that have a yellowish tint, where as another roll taken in the same event that was printed by Konota and the quality was absolutely stunning...
    Nowadays, Standard Photo seem to have no standard. The Fuji epic labs are much better.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    I've just sent a 2nd batch of photos to Standard Photo. Would get back on the results when I have them back.

    But my experience is that some shops turn out better pics even though they have the same machines.

    I have had bad experience with my very first batch of digital photos printed on Fujifilm's E-pic machines too (2 other batches are fine).
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    I've just sent a 2nd batch of photos to Standard Photo. Would get back on the results when I have them back.

    But my experience is that some shops turn out better pics even though they have the same machines.

    I have had bad experience with my very first batch of digital photos printed on Fujifilm's E-pic machines too (2 other batches are fine).
    Hmm.. Standard Photo's cost is that if you develop more than $8 (at 35 cents each), the handling fees will be waived. But I was wondering about the quality as well. Will wait for your feedback, mpenza. It takes one week right? Which branch did you send to? I was thinking of the outlet in Marine Parade. Anyone tried that one before?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •