Thread: Question abt developing digital photo

Galaa
    Guests

Default Question abt developing digital photo

Hi! Ive never developed the photos taken with my digicam b4, so would like to have help pls.
    My photos are usually taken in HQ and SHQ mode. I would like to print them out at normal photo size(4R I think). Do I have to resize my photos before sending them to be developed?
    How much is the average cost of each photo and time taken to develop?

Thats all thanks alot!

Default Re: Question abt developing digital photo

Originally posted by Galaa
    Hi! Ive never developed the photos taken with my digicam b4, so would like to have help pls.
    My photos are usually taken in HQ and SHQ mode. I would like to print them out at normal photo size(4R I think). Do I have to resize my photos before sending them to be developed?
    How much is the average cost of each photo and time taken to develop?

Thats all thanks alot!
    Don't do too much to the photos, don't worry about ppi/dpi. Just make sure the resolution (dimension wise) is enough for the print you want to do. I do not know the dimensions for SHQ and HQ (and it varies even on different level of Oly cameras.) At most, just crop to the desired aspect ratio.

But basically, you need :
    640x480 for 4R
    1280x1024 for 5R
    1600x1024 for 8R
    2048x1536 for 10R

Note, these are MINIMUM. Up to a certain point, sending a higher resolution file will give better results.

Regards
    CK

no wonder... cos i developed my digi pics too... and turn out real sucky! =(

Default Re: Re: Question abt developing digital photo

Hi Ckiang,

Means that I can still submit 1600x1024 and ask them to develop into 4R?

Thanks!

Originally posted by ckiang

Don't do too much to the photos, don't worry about ppi/dpi. Just make sure the resolution (dimension wise) is enough for the print you want to do. I do not know the dimensions for SHQ and HQ (and it varies even on different level of Oly cameras.) At most, just crop to the desired aspect ratio.

But basically, you need :
    640x480 for 4R
    1280x1024 for 5R
    1600x1024 for 8R
    2048x1536 for 10R

Note, these are MINIMUM. Up to a certain point, sending a higher resolution file will give better results.

Regards
    CK

On his behalf (since he's gone to bed for the night!) the answer is yes, you can. It will result in better pictures than just sending 640x480.

Originally posted by Jed
    On his behalf (since he's gone to bed for the night!) the answer is yes, you can. It will result in better pictures than just sending 640x480.
    Hee ok thanks Jed!

You're most welcome.

I'm sending in 1600x1067 resolution pics for 4R....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Default Re: Re: Re: Question abt developing digital photo

Originally posted by Blitz
    Hi Ckiang,

Means that I can still submit 1600x1024 and ask them to develop into 4R?

Thanks!

Ah, I see Jed has replied on my behalf (thanks!). Yup, just send them in as is.

Regards
    CK

choonwei
    Guests

where do u all usually develope ur photos guys?

See newspaper ads, Fujifilm offering $0.50 for 4R (no minimum)with handling charge of $5.00 per order. Free postal delivery too.
    Can also order your prints online.

What do you all think of this offer?

One ridiculous price i've been quoted was from Standard Photo in Hougang, $1.60 for a single 4R shot.

Cheerz
    Last edited by choonwei; 19th February 2002 at 12:18 PM.

I pay $0.30 (after 15% discount) for a 4R at Standard Photo, Raffles Place.

Hmm.. personally I found Standard Photo's prints are of not very good quality. I have one roll of fashion show pics printed by them that have a yellowish tint, where as another roll taken in the same event that was printed by Konota and the quality was absolutely stunning...

Originally posted by choonwei
    where do u all usually develope ur photos guys?

See newspaper ads, Fujifilm offering $0.50 for 4R (no minimum)with handling charge of $5.00 per order. Free postal delivery too.
    Can also order your prints online.

What do you all think of this offer?

One ridiculous price i've been quoted was from Standard Photo in Hougang, $1.60 for a single 4R shot.

Cheerz
    A few months ago, the most ridiculous price I've seen is the Standard Photo in West Mall. $18 per 3 4Rs. Apparently they print 3 per A4 page.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ziploc
    Hmm.. personally I found Standard Photo's prints are of not very good quality. I have one roll of fashion show pics printed by them that have a yellowish tint, where as another roll taken in the same event that was printed by Konota and the quality was absolutely stunning...
    Nowadays, Standard Photo seem to have no standard. The Fuji epic labs are much better.

Regards
    CK

I've just sent a 2nd batch of photos to Standard Photo. Would get back on the results when I have them back.

But my experience is that some shops turn out better pics even though they have the same machines.

I have had bad experience with my very first batch of digital photos printed on Fujifilm's E-pic machines too (2 other batches are fine).

Originally posted by mpenza
    I've just sent a 2nd batch of photos to Standard Photo. Would get back on the results when I have them back.

But my experience is that some shops turn out better pics even though they have the same machines.

I have had bad experience with my very first batch of digital photos printed on Fujifilm's E-pic machines too (2 other batches are fine).
    Hmm.. Standard Photo's cost is that if you develop more than $8 (at 35 cents each), the handling fees will be waived. But I was wondering about the quality as well. Will wait for your feedback, mpenza. It takes one week right? Which branch did you send to? I was thinking of the outlet in Marine Parade. Anyone tried that one before?