Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: About stock photos

  1. #1

    Default About stock photos

    Hi all, i'm just wondering if selling stock photos will be a good source of income for serious amerture photographers. Is there any stock photo websites tt you wld like to recommend? thanx

  2. #2

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by laughingstation
    Hi all, i'm just wondering if selling stock photos will be a good source of income for serious amerture photographers. Is there any stock photo websites tt you wld like to recommend? thanx
    Have a read at these 2 threads ... there has been some discussions here in CS about stock photos and stock agencies already ....

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=163834
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=172404


    Hope they help ....


    RGDs

  3. #3

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    thank very much dude

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by laughingstation
    thank very much dude
    I have said this in a previous post, hope it helps:

    Hey, im doing a bit of stock photography and i mostly use RF (royalty free), all the RF sites can be used with the same pics, the biggest and best probably are:

    ShutterStock
    iStock
    Fotolia
    Dreamstime
    CanStock
    123 Royalty Free
    Big Stock

    But be prepared, if you are serious about sticking with stock, it has the ability to take up alot of time, for example keywording uploading and submiting say 100 images from a days shoot could take basically around 4 hours on the computer, depending on internet speed etc etc

    Hope this helps, and good luck in Stock!

  5. #5

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    wildstallion thx load for your help. Right now i have some questions in mind, wonder if you mind helping me out with it.

    Shutterstock will send cheques to me even if i'm in singapore? will it be valid here?
    they require a minimum of 2.5 mb. is this guideline follow strickly because some of my photos do not have such a high resolution.

    once again thank you

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by laughingstation
    wildstallion thx load for your help. Right now i have some questions in mind, wonder if you mind helping me out with it.

    Shutterstock will send cheques to me even if i'm in singapore? will it be valid here?
    they require a minimum of 2.5 mb. is this guideline follow strickly because some of my photos do not have such a high resolution.

    once again thank you
    Shutterstock one of my favourite stock sites, they will send you a check and it is valid in singapore, or they can transfer money to a paypal account if you have one, i would recomend using the paypal option. There is generally no minimum filesize the 2.5 you are reffering to is MegaPixels which must be above 2.5 otherwise they will not be accepted. So this 2.5 MP value has to be strickly followed no going around it. Its the same and even higher for other sites.

    Hope this helps and if you have any more questions and queries feel free to ask.

  7. #7

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    I have received my first $$$ from shutterstock through PayPal two months ago at US$76.xx

    They are genuine and they works
    DR KOH KHO KING

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Kho King
    I have received my first $$$ from shutterstock through PayPal two months ago at US$76.xx

    They are genuine and they works
    Congrats!

  9. #9

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    I'm selling at shutterstock and istock. It takes some patients to get to a decent income from selling stock photos, but it can be done. You'll have to build up a good size portfolio of photos that sell. I would recommend going to a stock site and looking for the most frequently downloaded photos to give you an idea of what to shoot. Just for reference: I have 210 photos on one site and 70 on another and only make about US$30/month. That being said, there a some that make US$1.5k a month and more.

  10. #10

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    if we have uploaded our pic to those website, will we still be able to use our pic for own publication? or photography contest? do we still have the rights to own those pic?

  11. #11

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    if we have uploaded our pic to those website, will we still be able to use our pic for own publication? or photography contest? do we still have the rights to own those pic?
    you can still use the pics wherever you want...but some competition rules stated that you must not have published/used the submitted photo elsewhere...

    most of my pics just rest in peace in my PC hdd...and sank...so it is better to make them worth some value and be used/appreciated by others

    shutterstock is getting tougher nowadays...
    DR KOH KHO KING

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    hi wildstallion, i don't really understand how royalty free photos work. why would you want to post your photos on RF sites. Those this mean ppl can just use your photos for free?
    how do you generate income from RF sites?

    thanks!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    hi wildstallion, i don't really understand how royalty free photos work. why would you want to post your photos on RF sites. Those this mean ppl can just use your photos for free?
    how do you generate income from RF sites?

    thanks!
    royalty free doesn't mean they get free photos, i think you have misunderstood

    royalty free simply means that

    An initial fee is paid for the purchase of the online images and the purchaser may use the image(s) as often as required within the license terms and conditions without paying for the use of the image each time the image is used.

    Also note that the purchase of the image(s) does not offer unlimited or unrestricted use of the image(s). Most distributors have very specific limitations on how the images can be used, placed online electronically, or reprinted.

    Hope this helps to clear things up

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    i see.. very clear now thanks!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    can i send one same photo to all the stock photo agencies?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    can i send one same photo to all the stock photo agencies?
    Yes you can

  17. #17
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Yes you can
    thanks for your reply.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    can i send one same photo to all the stock photo agencies?
    Depends on the contract.

    If you submit your photos to an agency with exclusive contract, you can't send the same or similar photos to another agency.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @Upp Serangoon/ Singapore
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by jacob
    can i send one same photo to all the stock photo agencies?
    Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

    I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

    Cheers
    Linda

  20. #20
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: abt stock photos

    Quote Originally Posted by lashlyn
    Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

    I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

    Cheers
    Linda
    I think there is a trend for agencies to relaxe exclusive contract to attract the cream of stock photographers.

    Masterfile, a highly regarded international agency has relaxed its exclusive demand. Workbook has gone to non-exclusive contract too.

    However some agencies only need regional exclusive contract e.g. after some negotiations an agency in Sydney is cool as long as I don't send the same photos to another agency in Auatralia but I can send the same photos to any other part of the world.

    One thing all contracts are opened to negotiations. They depend on how much the agency wants your images and the cut in selling them for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •