View Poll Results: do you feel threatened by new dSLRs from competitors? WHY???

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

6 6.74%
  • NO

83 93.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dSLR owners mindset?

Default Re: dSLR owners mindset?

Well, others can change to new systems, but i am sticking to my nikon, cause I can still use the lenses with the new bodies.... I am more interested in my pics turning out the way i want it.

I do not feel "threatened" by anyone; in fact competition is good. But one has to realize that the "big names" in the photographic business have a certain reputation and continuity, whereas consumer electronics giants like Sony or Samsung are more known for short-lived gadgets.

Sigma has quite a good reputation in the photographic market, but look how hard it is/was for them to gain market share with their own SLRs and DSLRs.

Olympus is a special case; they had an excellent reputation in the past which they largely ruined with their neglect of the serious amateur market (ZLR debacle while neglecting the OM system) and their introduction of several incompatible DSLR "systems" that where obsoleted and abandoned within short time. I think a lot of people look at them as on probation. If they demonstrate their commitment to stability by maintaining the 4/3 system for some more years, they have a good chance of regaining some trust.

D70 DSLR owner since 2004. Still happily shooting with it at work and play in 2006. Will still be happy in the years to come using it. Fits my needs to a "t". The only short I have in using it might be my creativity more then anything. I am sure I will have to get a new body one day but it would never be because my ego needs a stroking.

It is a good sign to see more dSLRs in the market. The new features found in these new dSLRs will allow the R & D of the major players to wake up. My prediction is that Canon and Nikon will be the two big boys that will remain in this game for the next ten years.

Serious photographers will not try to run into error by acquiring any of the other brands unless they have the financial freedom to do so. There will still be those who wants to enjoy every dSLRs in the market.

Fuji and Kodak won't stand a chance against the two major players with their poor inefficient marketing. Nikon has waken up now in the area of marketing efforts. The other manufacturers trying to take a pie are Sigma and Samsung.

Sony KM, Pentax and Olympus has already good reputations in the past. Now is the time for them to see if they can market a dSLR with better features at a lower price not withstanding that they must have the advertising dollars for promotions.

Olympus 4/3 system is original but they fail in their marketing and competitive pricing.

Looks like there is no way Sigma, Samsung, Pentax, Fuji and even Kodak can make a break into the dSLR maket especially with the knowledgable consumer.

Read somewhere that Nikon and Canon together commands 90% of the market for dSLR. So, for the rest to be able to survive is a somewhat uphill task. Kodak has thown in the towel and KM gone to Sony. Well, could Sigma and Pentax continue to struggle?

Any new entrant would opt for Nikon or Canon. The advantages are obvious like range of assessories, able to buy and sell used stuff and long term viability, etc.

I guess Sony could be the only one with the financial muscle to fight it out. The dSLR market might be lucrative if you have a winner product, but could be a financial disaster if it's a flop in the market. The R&D cost is enormous and things changes so very fast and unpredictably.

Here are some of the big question marks IMO:
    1 Nikon going FF?
    2 Nikon/Canon going for the VR/IR on the sensor
    3 Will No 3 be Sony or Olympus?
    4 8Mp - 10Mp enough or there could be more for the APS size sensor
    5 More lenses for the APS size sensor, especially in the tele-zoom range that are smaller, lighter and therefore cheaper, yet of pro-quality.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Yes, indeed. There's this saying that's been floating around for a long time, "It's not the equipment that matters, but the photographer behind the camera." However, I've sought to refine that into, "The photographer's brilliance is worth more than the equipment, for the equipment is just a tool. However, just as a tool without a mind is incomplete, a photographer without the correct tools is crippled."

Simply put, I think we should accord an almost even amount of importance to both the development of a 'seeing' eye and the building of a setup that best fits our needs and allows us to express our subject and ourselves.

If a PnS is sufficient for our purposes, then I'd say go for it. But if there is a reason to go into prosumers or SLRs, then so be it too! Except that the wallet would soon start to hurt...
    haha...many pple equipment wankers will deny being equipment wankers..lol

but i like how this guy puts it....

Great photographs are born from great moments and nothing else - everything else is just icing.

joseph elis...
    his webby... http://www.josephmark.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hammer_400
    haha...many pple equipment wankers will deny being equipment wankers..lol

but i like how this guy puts it....

Great photographs are born from great moments and nothing else - everything else is just icing.

joseph elis...
    his webby... http://www.josephmark.com/
    Heheh...if I am not guilty of it now I certainly will be at some point in the hobby. But I wouldn't indulge in it. It's terribly unhealthy. Do not caress your equipment!

If Samsung can make dslr and lenses as good as Nikon and Canon and significantly cheaper I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    If Samsung can make dslr and lenses as good as Nikon and Canon and significantly cheaper I'll buy it.
    Do not underestimate Samsung from now on. They will shine when
    they take your advice and start doing research into making better
    optics and more rugged camera bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by singapurasteve
    Voted no, because in the end the consumer benefits from all the competition between the manufacturers. The only thing that feels threatened is my wallet.
    i have same view as you

but one thing i cant understand, why would end user like us feel threatened?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    i have same view as you

but one thing i cant understand, why would end user like us feel threatened?
    Which photographer will go around showing off his Sumsung DSLR that only costs $300?

Photography is associated with flashy cameras and big lenses with big price tags and big egos.

Why should we feel threatened even by release of new cameras when we are satisfied with our current setup?
    Maybe if you're planning to sell your camera, then you are afraid that the price will drop.

Which photographer will go around showing off his Sumsung DSLR that only costs $300?

Photography is associated with flashy cameras and big lenses with big price tags and big egos.
    if it's really $300 i dont mind buying it as a backup DSLR lol

If that's the case, they should probably buy Contax or Lecia! They would than use their technologies and Leica/Contax 's optics and skills to make better cameras! Just look at what they did to handphones!

Yummy!

In the past, a lot of people where quite happy with Seagulls or OEM/rebranded/no-name SLRs: they used lens mounts like M42, Pentax K, or Minolta SR/MC/MD, so the supply of lenses or orther optical accessories wasn't dependent on the survival of obscure brands or encumbered by a lack of distributors and tiny second-hand markets. I think the smaller players would fare much better if they could standardize on a system, best one that is already well established (Pentax KAF?). This would not only be attractive for the consumers, but also for third party manufacturers that can justify developing products for a larger market.

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    if it's really $300 i dont mind buying it as a backup DSLR lol
    Haha, me too, and it will be even better if the unassociated DSLR is made to match EF-mount, and probably there will be a day when people will start dropping their DSLR and say, "ah, its alright. I can just buy another."

There might be people who does that now though.

small players have no kick. they can come up with as many tricks and gimmicks but seriously look at the percentage of pros and what they use. everybody knows deep down inside that the pros dont use the products from the small players. ultimately the real show is still back to kwanon v.s the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    Haha, me too, and it will be even better if the unassociated DSLR is made to match EF-mount, and probably there will be a day when people will start dropping their DSLR and say, "ah, its alright. I can just buy another."

There might be people who does that now though.
    Nah! I won't even do that with a film P&S...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12