Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Rising Lions

  1. #1

    Default Rising Lions

    ok i failed the night shots! how about this? was shopping in chinatown before CNY and managed to get this... C&C pls


  2. #2

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    ok i failed the night shots! how about this? was shopping in chinatown before CNY and managed to get this... C&C pls

    Would be better without the bunch of mini lanterns at the side.

    Those lanterns take the attention away from the lions a lil.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    how does this work?



    Quote Originally Posted by FirstDecember
    Would be better without the bunch of mini lanterns at the side.

    Those lanterns take the attention away from the lions a lil.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    how does this work?

    im still having a hard time finding ur subject. focusing is not there. flat lighting is also a big problem, gives the illusion of a flat plane while depth is clearly shown thru dof.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    hmm i'm not sure what you mean.

    i was trying to keep my subject off the centre as it'll probably look ordinary thus i focused it on the right. i'm still figuring out the DOF on my camera as i'm new to this hobby.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    im still having a hard time finding ur subject. focusing is not there. flat lighting is also a big problem, gives the illusion of a flat plane while depth is clearly shown thru dof.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    the positioning.. think its quite alrite..if u do read up those photog tips/books, they'll talk abt the rule of the third. so i guess, when u try to to position it at the center, guess tats a good start lor..

    i dun wanna comment too much lah.. i aint tat good anyway, wait for the more experienced bros to comment..

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    hmm i'm not sure what you mean.

    i was trying to keep my subject off the centre as it'll probably look ordinary thus i focused it on the right. i'm still figuring out the DOF on my camera as i'm new to this hobby.
    my eyes keep drifting to the red tassles in the middle, even when the main subject should be the blueish lion puppet on the right foreground. the main subject does not look as well focused as the some parts of the red tassles do, may be my eyes playing tricks.

    do u understand the flat lighting part?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    no sir i dont understand the flat lighting part (i don't use flash) i'm a beginner i'll take note on focusing subjects though

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    my eyes keep drifting to the red tassles in the middle, even when the main subject should be the blueish lion puppet on the right foreground. the main subject does not look as well focused as the some parts of the red tassles do, may be my eyes playing tricks.

    do u understand the flat lighting part?
    Last edited by guojielun; 4th February 2006 at 08:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    no sir i dont understand the flat lighting part (i don't use flash) i'm a beginner i'll take note on focusing subjects though
    is like all are the same tone, no differential between light and shadow, so the picture looks flat.

    Don't worry, shoot more and post more, you'll learn.

    And also, don't have to go out all the way to find subjects to shoot, just shoot anything around you, in your house, workplace, on your way to work, etc.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    could it be the reason for not using flash? anyway hows the contrast for this?

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    is like all are the same tone, no differential between light and shadow, so the picture looks flat.

    Don't worry, shoot more and post more, you'll learn.

    And also, don't have to go out all the way to find subjects to shoot, just shoot anything around you, in your house, workplace, on your way to work, etc.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    no sir i dont understand the flat lighting part (i don't use flash) i'm a beginner i'll take note on focusing subjects though
    fwah, the only pple who call me sir r those looking for customer. hahh.

    flat lighting is like catchlights says.

    note the angle & intensity of light against subject(s). go next to a single light source, hold up both hands and examine the way light falls on them. move a hand closer and note the changes. slowly u can vary with more light sources and different light sources to learn which scene calls for what lighting. eg. "oh, if i could get soft lighting in this direction, then...." or "i need to come back to this place to catch the noon sun as i need a hard light overhead..." etc etc
    just keep noticing how light falls on objects, u dont even need a camera for this.

    flash helps when you need to take the subject at this time but still need secondary lighting. but it's not essential for general photography. dun worry too much about it for now.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Rising Lions

    i'll try digesting them in. thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    fwah, the only pple who call me sir r those looking for customer. hahh.

    flat lighting is like catchlights says.

    note the angle & intensity of light against subject(s). go next to a single light source, hold up both hands and examine the way light falls on them. move a hand closer and note the changes. slowly u can vary with more light sources and different light sources to learn which scene calls for what lighting. eg. "oh, if i could get soft lighting in this direction, then...." or "i need to come back to this place to catch the noon sun as i need a hard light overhead..." etc etc
    just keep noticing how light falls on objects, u dont even need a camera for this.

    flash helps when you need to take the subject at this time but still need secondary lighting. but it's not essential for general photography. dun worry too much about it for now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •