Thread: Aperture (Shooting In Raw)

Default Aperture (Shooting In Raw)

Hi guys,

I've just bought the Aperture software from Apple few days ago. However, i've realised that between JPEG and RAW, both the editing methods are the same. We can tweak white balance, control exposure, etc.

So what difference does it make if i take pictures in JPEG instead of taking in RAW ?

Kindly guide me along as i'm still a noob.

Rgds,
    Mark

Default Re: Aperture (Shooting In Raw)

Quote Originally Posted by marklim
    Hi guys,

I've just bought the Aperture software from Apple few days ago. However, i've realised that between JPEG and RAW, both the editing methods are the same. We can tweak white balance, control exposure, etc.

So what difference does it make if i take pictures in JPEG instead of taking in RAW ?

Kindly guide me along as i'm still a noob.

Rgds,
    Mark
    Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...56#post1863356

for JPEG vs. RAW formats

Cheers

i've already read that. but still don't really understand. because previously in Photoshop Camera RAW, i can only edit the exposure for RAW files, not for JPEG. But in Apple Aperture, i can edit exposure for both JPEG and RAW. Why is this so ?

RAW means the data is directly from the sensor, and has not gone through any processing. That means it has the greatest dynamic range, and has the most data to work with at post-processing in your computer.

JPEG, on the other hand, is a processed format, and more so because it's a lossy compression format, unused data is discarded and lost forever in the processing stage.

When you are adjusting a JPEG file, you are working with a limited set of data. With RAW, you are working with the full set of data. "White balance" and "exposure compensation" are just mathematical formulas manipulating the data.

I tend to shoot RAW most of the time as I noticed I get sharper images (only slightly but I am nit-picky) than Jpeg. I don't use Aperture yet but I am currently using Nikon's Capture Editor software to edit my Nikon RAW NEF files. I find I like the fact that I have more option to tweak my files around if need be when I shoot RAW. What Ah Pao said summarizes what I need to say.

ok . sort of understand now. thanks guys !