Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Supreme Courts

  1. #21

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    hmmmm any recommendation for a lens to replace my current 18-55? i've a budget of about $200-300. thanks for your comments

    Quote Originally Posted by GOMUS
    i think the composition is good! that is the purpose of kit lens. Unless photoshopping to obtain the contrast and colors~. The result from a Kit lens is always very flat for your info.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    i've heard casually that there is a certain guide for calculating aperture vs shutter speed would u be able to guide me?

    Quote Originally Posted by dolpjki
    i do not think it's the fault of the lens. i've shot the same location with same lens and camera with different settings, it turns out crisp and sharp. as suggested earlier by other clubsnappers above, try to change to smaller aperture. cos large aperture might be tough for u to do a proper focusing at midnight/dark lightings.

  3. #23
    Member rTwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Smackdown Boulevard
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    hmm by using aperture or shutter priority?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    i don't have a hood where can i get one? and what kind should i get? i'll get it and shoot again!
    A normal lens hood that fits yr kit lens will do. It helps to prevent excessive side lights from entering yr lens which will cause unwanted ugly flares on yr images.

    Suggest you save up more for good UWA (ultra wide angle) lens like TOKINA 12-24mm, or SIGMA 10-20mm. With one of these lenses, you'll be able to compose and shoot in a great perspective angle. It has more dramatic efx and impact to yr images. But one advice is, buy the lens you need and use most of the time otherwise you're wasting money and the lens is under-ultilised. Photography covers a wide aspects and genres. If you're into architectural photography, then go for the suitable lenses for the job.

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    i don't have a hood where can i get one? and what kind should i get? i'll get it and shoot again!
    Suppose you have a hood come with your kit lens?
    I use hood all the time, day or night.

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    hmmmm any recommendation for a lens to replace my current 18-55? i've a budget of about $200-300. thanks for your comments
    A new or better lens will not improve you shots, your kit lens has far more potential you can do with it. You should learn more about how to making good pictures, try to read books about basic photography, shoot more, look at other people works, ask questions.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    i feel dun nid hood....do nid keep asking him to get stuff. i feel more patience is needed..
    jielun, u shld take time and slowly agar and get the settings rite to get a good picture.
    just my noob comments

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    The kit lens is actually fine for night photography, and it can produce good results when stopped down to f/8-10. Assuming you're using the 350D, there's actually an indicator in manual mode that advices you if your shot is over or underexposed. This flashing indicator can be seen in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen behind the camera when you press the depth-of-field preview button. Set the aperture to f/8, and adjust your shutter speed with the dial next to your shutter button until the indicator shows you have a 'correct' exposure.

    Using small apertures also has the side-effect of making light-sources look like little stars, which is attractive in night shots. A starlight filter is not required to produce the effect. In fact, the starlight filters produce a more radical starlike effect and I've used them on my kit lens when doing handheld night photography.

    In the following example, a cross-screen filter was used. This is a starlight filter that creates a 4 pointed flare on light sources. Do note that 6-point and 8-point filters are also available, but in places with many light sources, even a 6-point might be an overkill:



    As mentioned by another poster, the image you posted lacks a bit of contrast partly because of the light and air pollution and also because the buildings were dimly-lit at that time. If you wish, try to walk a little further over to the Esplanade and turn back to photograph the skyline with the Fullerton Hotel and the Merlion. Try a wide-angle shot of the skyline and the bridge at around 7-7.30pm when there's still a litte light in the sky. I tend to take photos when the sky is very dark, and they're certainly not as nice, but still workable.

    Also, a lens hood is not always necessary. Avoid buying too many things for your kit lens especially since it's likely that you'll be replacing it in no time down the track. Personally, I've been very happy with the kit lens, but more discerning people are not. But do remember that the kit lens covers a very useful range, and you'll have to pay substantially more to find a suitable replacement. Most other lenses that go as wide as the kit lens aren't going to be cheap. It is a good idea to save up, fiddle with your kit lens, decide what you really want to photograph, and then buy the best quality you can afford (and use, of course).

    Have a play with your equipment, and it'll throw many pleasant surprises at you. The 350D and kit lens is a lot more capable than many would have you think.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    geez bro thanks for all that! appreciate it

    yes i was looking thru the sigma and tamron series and no they're not cheap at all... guess i'll have to live with it for the time being.

    just an OT question looking tru my view finder i realised that there is this little speck of probably dust that i can't live with though it doesn't affect the image at all since it's not on the sensor itself. how can i get it removed? i figured it's not the mirror but the piece of glass with lots of lines and mounted just below my flash and before my view finder. kindly advise.

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    The kit lens is actually fine for night photography, and it can produce good results when stopped down to f/8-10. Assuming you're using the 350D, there's actually an indicator in manual mode that advices you if your shot is over or underexposed. This flashing indicator can be seen in the viewfinder or on the LCD screen behind the camera when you press the depth-of-field preview button. Set the aperture to f/8, and adjust your shutter speed with the dial next to your shutter button until the indicator shows you have a 'correct' exposure.

    Using small apertures also has the side-effect of making light-sources look like little stars, which is attractive in night shots. A starlight filter is not required to produce the effect. In fact, the starlight filters produce a more radical starlike effect and I've used them on my kit lens when doing handheld night photography.

    In the following example, a cross-screen filter was used. This is a starlight filter that creates a 4 pointed flare on light sources. Do note that 6-point and 8-point filters are also available, but in places with many light sources, even a 6-point might be an overkill:



    As mentioned by another poster, the image you posted lacks a bit of contrast partly because of the light and air pollution and also because the buildings were dimly-lit at that time. If you wish, try to walk a little further over to the Esplanade and turn back to photograph the skyline with the Fullerton Hotel and the Merlion. Try a wide-angle shot of the skyline and the bridge at around 7-7.30pm when there's still a litte light in the sky. I tend to take photos when the sky is very dark, and they're certainly not as nice, but still workable.

    Also, a lens hood is not always necessary. Avoid buying too many things for your kit lens especially since it's likely that you'll be replacing it in no time down the track. Personally, I've been very happy with the kit lens, but more discerning people are not. But do remember that the kit lens covers a very useful range, and you'll have to pay substantially more to find a suitable replacement. Most other lenses that go as wide as the kit lens aren't going to be cheap. It is a good idea to save up, fiddle with your kit lens, decide what you really want to photograph, and then buy the best quality you can afford (and use, of course).

    Have a play with your equipment, and it'll throw many pleasant surprises at you. The 350D and kit lens is a lot more capable than many would have you think.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    First of all, there isn't really anything much to critique about this shot. The Supreme Court is a common subject for a lot of night shots, but it will be a lot more interesting if it has its lights on (try Friday evenings). The shot is nothing but a gloomy snapshot of a famous landmark (unless that's what you want).

    Secondly, you should check your preview after you have taken your pictures. This picture is prehaps 1 stop over-exposed. The pollution of light from other sources is giving the picture a haze. But luckily, it's not serious as something that a few tweaks in Photoshop can't save.

    Hope you don't mind, but here's my attempt at correcting the picture. But of course, getting the exposure right during the picture taking will make things a lot easier.


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NOMU
    Posts
    890

    Wink Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    First of all, there isn't really anything much to critique about this shot. The Supreme Court is a common subject for a lot of night shots, but it will be a lot more interesting if it has its lights on (try Friday evenings). The shot is nothing but a gloomy snapshot of a famous landmark (unless that's what you want).

    Secondly, you should check your preview after you have taken your pictures. This picture is prehaps 1 stop over-exposed. The pollution of light from other sources is giving the picture a haze. But luckily, it's not serious as something that a few tweaks in Photoshop can't save.

    Hope you don't mind, but here's my attempt at correcting the picture. But of course, getting the exposure right during the picture taking will make things a lot easier.
    Yes I also using kit lens for my shooting. I always use photoshop to correct the images. Sounds like cheating but it really works. Do try to take photo around 7pm, you will notice the differences~!! Cheers~

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by GOMUS
    i think the composition is good! that is the purpose of kit lens. Unless photoshopping to obtain the contrast and colors~. The result from a Kit lens is always very flat for your info.
    are you sure about the kits always giving flat pictures?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  12. #32

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    nicely done... i know why i tend to over expose my shots by 1 stop now.

    u see when i take pictures that are optimaly exposed and upload them into my laptop it is too dark for my liking however when i view in my pc it's just nice. i later found out that the gamma settings on my laptop is on it's darkest! i'm like what the he** no wonder my pics are all so dark.

    thanks for the pointer i'll try friday evenings, but why fridays?

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    First of all, there isn't really anything much to critique about this shot. The Supreme Court is a common subject for a lot of night shots, but it will be a lot more interesting if it has its lights on (try Friday evenings). The shot is nothing but a gloomy snapshot of a famous landmark (unless that's what you want).

    Secondly, you should check your preview after you have taken your pictures. This picture is prehaps 1 stop over-exposed. The pollution of light from other sources is giving the picture a haze. But luckily, it's not serious as something that a few tweaks in Photoshop can't save.

    Hope you don't mind, but here's my attempt at correcting the picture. But of course, getting the exposure right during the picture taking will make things a lot easier.


  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    just an OT question looking tru my view finder i realised that there is this little speck of probably dust that i can't live with though it doesn't affect the image at all since it's not on the sensor itself. how can i get it removed? i figured it's not the mirror but the piece of glass with lots of lines and mounted just below my flash and before my view finder. kindly advise.
    Hmm...to be frank, I can't say for sure where exactly this dust speck is, and whether it's inside your optical viewfinder or on the outer surface of it. If it is outside, then it should be easier to remove with a handheld air blower that some use to clean the exteriors of cameras. Or if you wish, take the camera back to the place where you bought it from and ask if anything can be done to rectify it. Pity you won't be able to provide a sample image for this!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    no i hope i won't have to provide such images anyway i've checked it's not the exterior of vfinder...

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    Hmm...to be frank, I can't say for sure where exactly this dust speck is, and whether it's inside your optical viewfinder or on the outer surface of it. If it is outside, then it should be easier to remove with a handheld air blower that some use to clean the exteriors of cameras. Or if you wish, take the camera back to the place where you bought it from and ask if anything can be done to rectify it. Pity you won't be able to provide a sample image for this!

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NOMU
    Posts
    890

    Wink Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    are you sure about the kits always giving flat pictures?
    I guess I should re-pharse my opinion regarding the flat picture. When i described flat, it mean lacking of contrast. Colour is very subjective, it shall refer to items you taken. It can be very colourful and attractive. Contract may not as great when the aperature is wider open.

    This is quoted from http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/efs18-55/review/

    "The 18-55/3.5-5.6 is a very good lens for $100. It's weaknesses show up at the ends of its zoom range (18mm and 55mm), especially in the corners of the frame when used wide open where resolution and contrast can be rather poor."

    Some images are taken. As my advice earlier, it can be improved using photoshop. so why worry so much, it is a "100 bucks' lens, which covered most of the focus length. " For general photography and, especially, for web use, this lens is perfectly adequate. In fact, for web use it is hard to tell the difference between the kit lens and the 16-35 2.8L." Quoted from review above.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    are you sure about the kits always giving flat pictures?
    I agree also that the kit lens is producing flat colors. Trying taking an array of flora arrangement and you'll see.
    But for night shots, it's as good as gold for it's weight and price (free).

    I still have to give the kit lens credit. It's very sharp for it's (price) range.
    When step down to F8 to F11. It's sharpness is very good.
    Haven't tried anything smaller than F11...

  17. #37

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    hmmmm any recommendation for a lens to replace my current 18-55? i've a budget of about $200-300. thanks for your comments
    Save another 1000 bucks on top of your 200 ~ 300 and get the 17-40 F4L.
    You won't regret this lens.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    http://360.itcow.com
    Posts
    2,363

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    i don't wanna post another new thread but hope to imprive on these.






  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Supreme Courts

    Quote Originally Posted by guojielun
    hmmmm any recommendation for a lens to replace my current 18-55? i've a budget of about $200-300. thanks for your comments
    If u're a starter, continue ur 18-55. It isn't really a bad piece of glass even for night shots.

    Continue on ur 18-55 since the 1st photo doesn't do any justice to it. Looking forward to better shots!
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NOMU
    Posts
    890

    Smile Re: Supreme Courts

    maybe i shall try to take some shot tonight using my kit lens! before the fire works~ see what I can achieve~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •