Thread: How to interpolate?

Default How to interpolate?

hi, sorry this may be a newb question, but how do u interpolate a digital photo, say a 3000 x 2000 300dpi into a really big one, without significant reduction in quality? i know it is possible to have life-size prints of people, for example, using 5-6 megapix cameras. is it possible to do with photoshop? or special software needed?

Default Re: how to interpolate?

try this...

Clcik me

PS will do. Resize your image, keeping the resample box checked (if not it you're just playing around with dpi)

Advisible to increase in 10% increments until you reach the desired resolution. This will minimise loss in image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie84
    hi, sorry this may be a newb question, but how do u interpolate a digital photo, say a 3000 x 2000 300dpi into a really big one, without significant reduction in quality? i know it is possible to have life-size prints of people, for example, using 5-6 megapix cameras. is it possible to do with photoshop? or special software needed?
    why exactly do you need to interpolate your image? i know this software can create human sized posters

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    why exactly do you need to interpolate your image? i know this software can create human sized posters
    All bow to the almighty Rasterbator!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnie84
    I think you need to be more specific on the following:

1. "really big one"

2. "without significant reduction in quality"

FWIW, in my experience, there is no one best interpolation algorithm. It's more about suitability to the type of picture content.

Viewing distance is a major consideration when you think about 'quality'.
    Last edited by kahheng; 1st February 2006 at 09:15 PM.

I normally use the 110% smootth bicubic method in PS
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Default Re: How to interpolate?

I have 2 questions. How big are you going to print this image? What is the printer resolution that this image is to be printed?

Until you can figure out what your final output size is, bigger is not necessarily better.