Thread: Satori

Default Satori

Hi hi....

helped a friend's sister take some shots of her solo exihibition. She is a ceramicist....
    thot i share some shots here..... C & C welcome of course......

1)

2)

3)

4)

Default Re: Satori

some more....

5)

6)

7)

8)

That's all folks.......

nice.... ceramics. Besides the one that looks like a bowl, i have no idea what the other ceremics are supposed to be. I think you captured them pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by topster
    nice.... ceramics. Besides the one that looks like a bowl, i have no idea what the other ceremics are supposed to be. I think you captured them pretty well.
    Hi Topster,

Thanks for the comments.
    In fact, I have no idea of what they are either. They are... well... art pieces....
    clay, ceramics, glass..... fusion.....

Exposure is good.
    However, I felt that the composition is too tight for a few of the pics. If it is meant to be a record of the event and showpieces, then I think too tight composition is not appropriate in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by OCP
    Exposure is good.
    However, I felt that the composition is too tight for a few of the pics. If it is meant to be a record of the event and showpieces, then I think too tight composition is not appropriate in this instance.
    Hi OCP,

Points Noted...

In actual fact, my friend had wanted me to take each and every exihibit for records...
    After seeing that there are a few more photographers helping them, I told my friend that I will shoot from another angle as I knew I wouldn't do a good job shooting direct without proper lightings. I think will require proper studio lighting to get good shots of each exihibit.....

so I chose to shoot closeup to show the details in the showpieces... or at odd angles....

But I do agree that my series doesn't give the viewers a clearer picture of the event and showpieces..... do browse thru my gallery which have more pictures of the event....

sometimes abstract shots look nicer than showing the entire subject. anyway, very nice shots but i find the dof on the bowl is a little too shallow. any more to show?

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    sometimes abstract shots look nicer than showing the entire subject. anyway, very nice shots but i find the dof on the bowl is a little too shallow. any more to show?

Hi Drudkh,

Thanks... I can't agree more with you....
    In fact, I'm quite amazed at the fine details displayed using clay....
    For the bowl, I wanted to focus on her initial....
    You can see more HERE.
    Last edited by Chlee; 2nd February 2006 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlee
    some more....

5)

6)

7)

8)

That's all folks.......

For this pics how was your setup? Did you use bounce flash? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by grado
    For this pics how was your setup? Did you use bounce flash? Thanks!
    Hi grado,

if i remember correctly, I was using Canon 20D with 17-40mm f4. Most of the showpiece pics are without flash. If there is flash involved, it is direct ceiling bounce.

I asked because I was there and virtually all my pics sucked, haha! Mostly underexposed. I remember the ceiling was quite high, maybe I forgot to charge my flash.

I asked because I was there and virtually all my pics sucked, haha! Mostly underexposed. I remember the ceiling was quite high, maybe I forgot to charge my flash.

OIC..... i also bumped up the ISO quite abit and of course PS to adjust....
    You were there on the opening day?

yup..the ceiling was quite high but still ok. However, I prefer those pic without flash... colours are better.
    Last edited by Chlee; 6th February 2006 at 01:54 PM.

My D70 cannot bump up the iso too much, haha! And I dunno how to use PS, haha! Anyway, nice compositions... I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlee
    OIC..... i also bumped up the ISO quite abit and of course PS to adjust....
    You were there on the opening day?

yup..the ceiling was quite high but still ok. However, I prefer those pic without flash... colours are better.

My D70 cannot bump up the iso too much, haha! And I dunno how to use PS, haha! Anyway, nice compositions... I like them.
    Oh.... you are using D70... ya... i understand. I used to use D70. Sometimes got to balance between losing shots or getting noisy shots. Can always use noise reduction software during post processing...

Anyway, I think should try out some software for post processing your pics be it PS or other software. I think it's part and parcel of digital photography.

Thanks.