Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can i buy a light and cheap tripod???

Default Re: Where can i buy a light and cheap tripod???

Tripods are available in plenty of shops in Sim Lim square as well, but try to avoid the camera shops on the first floor. Step on the escalators and go further up...try your luck there and you'll immediately notice the difference in price. In the end, I bought an aluminium one for just $35...slightly shorter than I am, so it must be somewhere around 160cm or so, complete with spirit levels, which I hardly ever use.

The brand is Mora. It gets the job done, but a little flimsy. With a compact camera, it does the job perfect. But use a 350D and kit lens on it, and you may see that is becomes slightly imbalanced. Put a 350D and a 70-200mm f/4 (without tripod collar) on it, and it still works, but the head tends to drag a little and you'll need to compensate by tilting the head a little higher before locking it in place.

Not bad for $35. If you want to travel light, be sure to look also for a bean bag. Quite useful on days when you want to leave the tripod in the hotel, or when shooting wild animals on safari from a vehicle (if you ever get to that stage...I don't know if I will).

just get a low cost one will do.
    I realize like 90% of the time, dont need tripod, or lazy to carry it along.
    just get a $20 one and use for a few months.
    if there is a need for sure, then upgrade to a better one.
    most people invest in hundred of dollars but finally left in store room collect dust.

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    just get a low cost one will do.
    I realize like 90% of the time, dont need tripod, or lazy to carry it along.
    just get a $20 one and use for a few months.
    if there is a need for sure, then upgrade to a better one.
    most people invest in hundred of dollars but finally left in store room collect dust.
    Good point. I'm one of those who is lazy to carry a tripod everywhere I go, though it's easier to do so now since I can simply hook it onto my backpack. However, as mentioned before, a cheap and reasonably-sized tripod is many hundred times better than having no tripod at all.

And a cheap tripod is not many times worse off than a really expensive one, unless you're a serious photographer and use heavy equipment that needs the balance of a sturdy tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    And a cheap tripod is not many times worse off than a really expensive one, unless you're a serious photographer and use heavy equipment that needs the balance of a sturdy tripod.
    I know a few friends who invested couple of hundred for those ball heads alone (dont ask me brand, not my cuppa) for their tripods, tells me day in and day out that they are easier to use, faster to get locked and the angles, etc. But I see they usually leave home without it funny people with deep pockets

I know a few friends who invested couple of hundred for those ball heads alone (dont ask me brand, not my cuppa) for their tripods, tells me day in and day out that they are easier to use, faster to get locked and the angles, etc. But I see they usually leave home without it funny people with deep pockets
    A ball head is conceivably easier to use...and though I've never had one, I'd think they offer more mobility than a panning head.

Heheh...well, perhaps they just haven't taken the time or the chance to use their tripod yet. In the end, we can only buy what we think we need. I just fear the day that my profession becomes my entire life and I can't even take photos anymore. Photography is practically my only hobby at this time.

Default Re: where can i buy a light and cheap tripod???

Hi, would like to know where is "syketang", I want to go down and take a look at the manfrotto sales. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    A ball head is conceivably easier to use...and though I've never had one, I'd think they offer more mobility than a panning head.

Heheh...well, perhaps they just haven't taken the time or the chance to use their tripod yet. In the end, we can only buy what we think we need. I just fear the day that my profession becomes my entire life and I can't even take photos anymore. Photography is practically my only hobby at this time.
    IMO, ballhead- adjusts 2 axis at a time, some find tis method faster, others prefer 2 adjust 1 axis at a time.

there r many ballheads & pan7tilt heads w/ slightly diff features anyway. its a matter of personal preferance & budget.

I bring my tripod with me most of the time.. IMO your friends are plain lazy.. Dun me..
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

Maybe, you can try this combo - on cheap and light tripod for shooting night scenes and a monopod for sports and other actions or wildlife where mobility is essential.

If I do not need to walk very far from the carpark, like shooting fireworks at the Esplanade or the Powerboat, I bring out my heavy-like-hell Manfrotto 055. Otherwise, it is the monopod for other jobs that needs quite a bit of walking. Just image carrying a 2.5kg tripod in addition to cam and lenses plus some drinks - you know, it is no fun - more like going to battle in full gear.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

gimme, gimme (those tripods)!!

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    yeah.. count me in as well..

my tripod hav been on holiday trips 2 capture some shoots tt i cant do w/o a tripod. ya, mine not d most easy 2 use but it does its job well & its been great help on my holiday trips.

i kno few will bring a 2+ feet long (compacted length) tripod on holiday trips...

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP
    yeah.. count me in as well..
    let's hav a ballot?

since it's been heavilyt under-utilized, they might wanna sell.
    lemme ask them. I dont even know wat brand or model.

Default Re: where can i buy a light and cheap tripod???

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip123
    Hi, would like to know where is "syketang", I want to go down and take a look at the manfrotto sales. Thanks.
    he has a thread in buy & sell forum currently offering tripods.

it seems tt many ppl r saying how bulky and inconvinent tripods r, which is exectly why i use a monopod instead. it straps nicely to the side of my sch bag or belt loops on my pants. they offer very good mobility too. [twist twist retract] and im ready to go unlike tripods which must be folded. monopod+vr=steady shots 95% of the time for me. many ppl overlook the monopod and fail to realize its effectiveness.

1 thing to look out when buying cheap tripods, see if it has a hook at the bottom of the central column. by hanging ur camera bag(or anything else heavy), u can make the flimsy thing much more stable.

but then again as i mentioned, the greatest weakness of cheap tripods is it's inadequate head
    Last edited by roti_prata; 2nd February 2006 at 05:11 PM.

let's hav a ballot?
    How? One takes the ball head while the other keeps the tripod??

Hi... juz like to ask if anyone of u guys used Slik U6600? how izzit?

Quote Originally Posted by w.s.y
    I just posted my comments on this thread http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....&postcount=377.

Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP
    How? One takes the ball head while the other keeps the tripod??
    each of us take 1 leg? u can hav d head, i got my own head already...

Quote Originally Posted by w.s.y
    hi, i've used d "U" series b4.

pros,
    . light in weight
    . easy 2 set up

cons,
    . d fixed angle of d legs is set rather wide 4 stability (potential hazard here)
    . cant take a heavy load
    . not as stable as i would hav liked (IMO), upgraded not long aft...

best if u can bring ur own cam 2 try it out b4 buying. as such, wad i stated r my own opinions, dun take it as facts ya...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast