Thread: Gretamacbeth Huey Monitor Calibration

Default Gretamacbeth Huey Monitor Calibration

I hope someone can help me with this....
    i bought the other day the new monitor calibration device from Getagmacbeth: HUEY.
    To date i still find it difficult to get my monitor properly calibrated. There is no user guide coming with the product that would be of much help. I have the following questions:

1. what are the brightness and constrast settings on the monitor before calibrations starts? I noticed that the final results of the calibration are different when have different settings to start with.
    2. How does a colour managed monitor affect the calibration?
    3. Does the graphic card and drivers affect the calibration?

the questions popped up because i got very different results after calibration depending on the start settings (brightness, contrast, color managed or not).

my hardware is:
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 179T
    Graphic Card: G-Force4 managed by NVIDIA

thanks for the help...

Default Re: Gretamacbeth Huey Monitor Calibration

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I hope someone can help me with this....
    i bought the other day the new monitor calibration device from Getagmacbeth: HUEY.
    To date i still find it difficult to get my monitor properly calibrated. There is no user guide coming with the product that would be of much help. I have the following questions:

1. what are the brightness and constrast settings on the monitor before calibrations starts? I noticed that the final results of the calibration are different when have different settings to start with.
    2. How does a colour managed monitor affect the calibration?
    3. Does the graphic card and drivers affect the calibration?

the questions popped up because i got very different results after calibration depending on the start settings (brightness, contrast, color managed or not).

my hardware is:
    Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 179T
    Graphic Card: G-Force4 managed by NVIDIA

thanks for the help...

Hi Michael,

Good to see that you are giving monitor calibration/profiling a shot in your workflow. (2)For monitor calibration basically, we have to understand that if your intended destination ISN'T print, basically you will never know if it works or not.

I haven't personally tried the HUEY but looking at reviews and tests so far, you shouldn't be expecting terrific results.

FROM http://www.nativedigital.co.uk/shop/...rod=306&xSec=1

"Why is the Huey so much cheaper than say, the Eye-One Display? Huey is aimed at a different market segment, and to an extent, you get what you pay for. The Eye-One Display is a higher quality device, provides more flexibility and ultimately produces better results and more accurate colours on screen, as demanded by semi-pro and pro photographers and graphic designers. Huey junks the jargon and does a great job, simply and quickly for people who want a better 'colour experience'. If you are unsure which product to buy, why not call us for a chat?"

The underlying concept you have to understand basically is "WHITE POINT - Color Temperature"

There are basically 2 camps in this, the D50 - 5000K (WARM) and D65 - 6500K (COOL) and personally i feel that both are still not spot on.

I work on a 5500K white point and that has given me the best results so far coz flash bulbs are calibrated to fire at around 5200K - 5800K and typical midday SINGAPORE sunlight is about that range as well. http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/h2/temp.shtml

The best way is to (1) reset your monitor to factory settings then profile and calibrate.
    Of course the age of the monitors and (3) choice of graphic cards is a critical factor.

Monitors are basically huge expensive lightbulbs that decay over time. the LCD decay is much more linear i.e. - colors are more stable throughout lifespan though they get dimmer as they age. CRTS tend to color-shift over time.

Hope this clears abit of the mystery so far. Best thing to do is to make sure you buy stuff from stores that can give you reliable support. Check with your vendor and make sure you are buying what you need and can afford. Good isn't always cheap but Cheap is seldom sufficient.

Cheers,
    nic

Quote Originally Posted by Gamut Labs
    Good isn't always cheap but Cheap is seldom sufficient.
    Love this quote a lot, will use your quote when my friends asking for cheap solution

Very well explain for Michael problem

Cheers!

nic,

a feature that caught my attention is how the huey automatically adjusts output with varying ambient conditions. would this be an impt feature? is this present in other calibrators in the mkt now?

thanks for any comments.