Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sian fail ippt!

Default Re: sian fail ippt!

Originally posted by eadwine
    Sian failed ippt now must go RT!!! arrgghhhhhh
    have fun again pal

Originally posted by Gunjack

Hmm... but running long distance seem to work for me... When I start training/running long distance, 2.4 become quite easy, as far as I can remember. Hard to imagine one who can run 5km(non-stop) but fail 2.4km. Actually if u just jog at a moderate fast pace WITHOUT slowing/stopping can easily pass 2.4 ... My biggest problem for IPPT has always been my pull-ups though...
    Aiyah.. simple to train lah... do a hand held shot with your camera mounted with a 1200mm len... sure pass with 5 points

Pull ups has always been difficult for me! Try weight training and also practice chin-up. If u can do 1 or 2 chin up, then try to do a wee bit more and put wts to your ankles, so that your upper body works harder than it shld. Soon, u will be on your way to do more!! Also, practice your techniques by using those low chin up bars (for ladies) and practice like mad!!

Also have problems with my chin-ups all the time...sigh. Somehow find that doing weights doesn't really help much....now I go to the chin-up bar to do flex arm hang to train. Luckily it only comes around once a year.

Originally posted by Gunjack

My biggest problem for IPPT has always been my pull-ups though...
    Pull ups for me used to be a problem but I found that doing a lot of specific exercises for my back muscles and biceps really helped. So I usually go to the gym and do 3 types of exercises for the back (advice from a fitness freak friend ). The 3 exercises are:

1. lat pull down machine which is very effective as it simulates the actual chin-up motion.

2. seated pulls, where I sit in front of a machine and pull the weights to my stomach in a horizontal motion.

3. bend over while standing up (remember to keep back straight and motionless!) and raise a barbell from the floor to my stomach.

Pretty dramatic results. I went from 4 chins to 10 within 4 weeks!

For me, my weakest station is the broad jump. I still can't jump beyond 212 or thereabouts, which is the passing point. Any pointers?

andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew

Pull ups for me used to be a problem but I found that doing a lot of specific exercises for my back muscles and biceps really helped. So I usually go to the gym and do 3 types of exercises for the back (advice from a fitness freak friend ). The 3 exercises are:

1. lat pull down machine which is very effective as it simulates the actual chin-up motion.

2. seated pulls, where I sit in front of a machine and pull the weights to my stomach in a horizontal motion.

3. bend over while standing up (remember to keep back straight and motionless!) and raise a barbell from the floor to my stomach.

For me, my weakest station is the broad jump. I still can't jump beyond 212 or thereabouts, which is the passing point. Any pointers?

andrew
    Or try missionary position for half an hr with yr gf/wife

of cos hands by the side...great way to strenghten those arms hehehe

Thanks for the tips! Think I will try to overcome this problem of mine.

Anyway, i don't really have problem with standing broad jump coz I think when I was younger I liked to challenge standing broad jump in Primary Sch, not that i can jump that far hehehe... So I guess its the skills and coordinatin for your standing broad jump to be effective. I don't believe its becoz of weak leg muscles or such, unless it is really an exceptional case. For me the timing of the swinging of your arms forward as u jump off is very important to gain your momentum. And maybe lifting your leg up in the air as high as you can just after the hop and just before landing will help gain a few more centimeters. Basically your whole body needs to be in synch.

Originally posted by kh_drew

andrew

JaDe
    Guests

For weak leg muscles, can try doin squats...
    For chin-ups...weights do help...BUT in a ifght way, right form n right times...i can barely do a chin-up...now i can do 12...
    Try doin 3 exercise with 2 sets, 8 reps (Not too light) for biceps, triceps and forearms...
    Practice with chin-ups machines...those with weight to support your bodyweight...do 4 sets of 12 reps fro 50lbs till u need no support at all...Very effective...
    For running...practice makes perfect...~
    Regular jog is the best...
    Juz some advices from a kid~

Originally posted by JaDe
    For weak leg muscles, can try doin squats...
    For chin-ups...weights do help...BUT in a ifght way, right form n right times...i can barely do a chin-up...now i can do 12...
    Try doin 3 exercise with 2 sets, 8 reps (Not too light) for biceps, triceps and forearms...
    Practice with chin-ups machines...those with weight to support your bodyweight...do 4 sets of 12 reps fro 50lbs till u need no support at all...Very effective...
    For running...practice makes perfect...~
    Regular jog is the best...
    Juz some advices from a kid~
    this is too time-consuming lay.......

JaDe
    Guests

Eh....~

me too...pull ups has always been a problem...sigh...

Does drinking red bull help in your stamina for IPPT?

One of the quickest way to improve is to train your breathing technique. I found that many average runners would breathe very fast but shallow. So I changed my breathing technique to slower and deeper breaths which may span about 2-3 running steps. This helps you conserve energy, stamina as well as let your lungs have more time to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen. Of course, it wont work on its own without regular training.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Does doing push-ups help with chin up training?

definitely... but still need to go and pull to confirm how many u can achieve.
    i thought i could do 8 but when i went to pull only ended up with 6. haha... old liao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    Does doing push-ups help with chin up training?

This is an old thread, but an annual headache for most male Singaporean adults
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post
    definitely... but still need to go and pull to confirm how many u can achieve.
    i thought i could do 8 but when i went to pull only ended up with 6. haha... old liao.
    In other word, the answer is no

I practice on my door frame, the top horizontal bar, which is can only hang with 4 fingers, if I can do 6, I can get 8 or 9 or 10 during the test.

Do at your own risk if you want to do the same, if you end up exempted from ippt due to the frame breaks and you get injured.

going cat z soon... MR very soon too.

I never fail any IPPT for so many year, mostly i got silver, only a few gold.

I don't jog or really train-up. My only training is carry my gear to go shooting 2-3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezmund Soh View Post
    me too...pull ups has always been a problem...sigh...
    digger spotted.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast