Thread: Moved from "General" sub-forum: Help Needed on a Virus Alert

Default Help Needed on a Virus Alert

Hi,

I have received initially a note from someone from clubsnap, by the name of Benjamin Tye (Panz) I think, he informed me that via an email that one of his contact has been infected by this virus:

jdbgmgr.exe

and suggest that we all check out c: drives and all to clear the bug. I then found that file and cleared it from my C: drive, informed all my contacts to do the same.

Then later, I received another from Benjamin Tye, indicating that the file was actually a Java Degugging device installed by microsoft.

Now, that sets me wondering, was the first email a trojan horse or is there really an virus going round? I want to get to the bottom of this.

I mean those pple who have read my first message would have then removed their defences if it was indeed a debugger and made themelves vulnerable. I don't know who is more sick, the person who created the virus or the person creating the hoax!

Anyone with REAL information, pse let us all know.

BTW, there is a website for digital photographers, called dpgallery@aol.com, always sending out emails with exe files telling u Congratulations or Some Questions with no HTML info. I suspect that website is weird. Pse avoid opening all files if u receive emails and their attachment from pple u do not know.

Jeff.

If it doubt, delete.

Best policy. That's why I never got any virus.

Originally posted by Zoomer
    If it doubt, delete.

Hmm.. Actually thats what most people do. Most of this are Hoaxes and the file that they mentioned are mostly Windows System files.. Its best to do a search on the particular file before deleting any file.

Bedpan
    Guests

Default Re: Help Needed on a Virus Alert

If in doubt don't delete cause most of the haux's will try and get you to delete key system files and bugger yer machine..

There are a few keys to safety..

1) Run Active anti-virus software at all times and update it a few times a week with the latest Sig files
    2) Update your OS and Applications on a regular basis with all the latest fixes and service packs
    3) Don't run software from unknown people... Scan it first

If you get a another email like this... I would suggest you first update your antivirus, then run a full system scan... If you don't find anything.. Delete the email and be done with it...

If you want to be really secure... Don't run MS Outlook. over 70% of todays virus use Outlook to infect and propigate... I run Eudora :-) Free and easy!

Mike
    Originally posted by jeff chen
    Hi,

I have received initially a note from someone from clubsnap, by the name of Benjamin Tye (Panz) I think, he informed me that via an email that one of his contact has been infected by this virus:

jdbgmgr.exe

and suggest that we all check out c: drives and all to clear the bug. I then found that file and cleared it from my C: drive, informed all my contacts to do the same.

Then later, I received another from Benjamin Tye, indicating that the file was actually a Java Degugging device installed by microsoft.

Now, that sets me wondering, was the first email a trojan horse or is there really an virus going round? I want to get to the bottom of this.

I mean those pple who have read my first message would have then removed their defences if it was indeed a debugger and made themelves vulnerable. I don't know who is more sick, the person who created the virus or the person creating the hoax!

Anyone with REAL information, pse let us all know.

BTW, there is a website for digital photographers, called dpgallery@aol.com, always sending out emails with exe files telling u Congratulations or Some Questions with no HTML info. I suspect that website is weird. Pse avoid opening all files if u receive emails and their attachment from pple u do not know.

Jeff.

yup...deleting that file is a hoax. many people mistakenly did it. u should only trust articles from trusted sites like anit-virus companies (eg. www.symantec.com). they regularly update their encyclopedias...try searching your virus there 1st. you can simply copy the jobdbmgr.exe back in from another PC or extract the file from you windows .cab files. dun *sweat it
    Believe it. And it will be so.

Originally posted by Zoomer
    If it doubt, delete.

I mean, when in doubt, delete the mail + attachment(s).

Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, so confirm it is a hoax right? If I have completely deleted it from my recycle bin, how does then one reinstall it back into the system. Pse advice. Thanks.

jeff, u always post this kind of topic here. for example :

1: build your own PC
    2: toshiba pda
    3: and this one.

We moved you topics many time and we thought you will learnt.

Any topic which is not photography related please post in banal talk.

Jeff,

We would like to keep the topics in the "General" sub-forum photography related, directly related.

The place for non-photography related topics is the "Banal Talk" forum.

Please follow the forum definitions as much as you can. I will move this htread to "Banal Talk".

Thanks!

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Ok, so confirm it is a hoax right? If I have completely deleted it from my recycle bin, how does then one reinstall it back into the system. Pse advice. Thanks.
    Jeff, you can find more info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q322993

I apologise if I have posted it wrongly and appreciate the thread has been moved to a more appropriate section. Thanks Roy.

As for Ninelives comments, not just that i am justifying myself, I wld not use the word "always". The three instances cited, i have the explanation.

1) For building your own PC, i think for digital image users, a PC is an essential tool, hence it is PC and photography related.

2) Toshiba PDA, again for digital users like me, I wld want to know how it is compaitable when used with the CF card to view images taken, so again, it is photo related. i think it is perhaps not in the right section, but I disagree that it is not photography related. I am sure there r some digital users out there who wanna know abt this PDA as it reads CF/SD cards and direct, to learn more. Afterall, this forum is meant for learning right? Someone asked the same question on the e740 as well, so there must be an interest in the photographers community? i mean others ask abt printers, image tank etc...so are they photography related? U answer that one yrself.

3) As for this virus hoax thing, well the email came from another clubsnapper to me. Now, is that irrelevant? Yes, if I had not been on this forum, then the virus hoax may not have had impact on me, but the answer is yes, it did, so I have every right to ask abt it on this forum as other clubsnappers may receive similar hoax and start worrying.

Do not take it personal ninelives, I do not know u in person and I do not dislike u or anything, but I think yr comments are not fair and justifiable c/w Roy's comments. If u r a moderator, i expect more from you, not those comments u made. I hope we can agree to disagree over this issue and be more gentleman abt the way we argue and disagree. Thanks.

digipix, thanks my friend for educating me, much appreciated!

I apologise if I have posted it wrongly and appreciate the thread has been moved to a more appropriate section. Thanks Roy.

As for Ninelives comments, not just that i am justifying myself, I wld not use the word "always". The three instances cited, i have the explanation.

Do not take it personal ninelives, I do not know u in person and I do not dislike u or anything, but I think yr comments are not fair and justifiable c/w Roy's comments. If u r a moderator, i expect more from you, not those comments u made. I hope we can agree to disagree over this issue and be more gentleman abt the way we argue and disagree. Thanks.

Hack...
    That the 9lives I know....

Just have to get used to it!
    hehhehehhhahaaaa

Actually, your posts are in the wrong forum.

Try not to think of "got some relationship" but instead how linked it is with other threads in the same forums, etc.

For example, following your theory, I can post the virus hoax into the Announcements. I am announcing for all members to be mindful of viruses, no?

1) For building your own PC, i think for digital image users, a PC is an essential tool, hence it is PC and photography related.

2) Toshiba PDA, again for digital users like me, I wld want to know how it is compaitable when used with the CF card to view images taken, so again, it is photo related. i think it is perhaps not in the right section, but I disagree that it is not photography related. I am sure there r some digital users out there who wanna know abt this PDA as it reads CF/SD cards and direct, to learn more. Afterall, this forum is meant for learning right? Someone asked the same question on the e740 as well, so there must be an interest in the photographers community? i mean others ask abt printers, image tank etc...so are they photography related? U answer that one yrself.

3) As for this virus hoax thing, well the email came from another clubsnapper to me. Now, is that irrelevant? Yes, if I had not been on this forum, then the virus hoax may not have had impact on me, but the answer is yes, it did, so I have every right to ask abt it on this forum as other clubsnappers may receive similar hoax and start worrying.

No problem, Jeff. However, I do have issues with the explanations you gave for posting the threads in the "General" forum. Please take this positively. I am trying to explain how I view your 3 threads as the moderator of the "General" forum.

No doubt both the equipment above can be related to photography, but the relation is kind of loose, especially if questions related to photography were not brought up in the original threads at all. If you have even mentioned "image processing" or "storage of photographs" I would have kept the threads there. Even though the sub-forum is named "General..." the definition below the title did specify that it should be related to photography. I like to interpret that as "Directly Related".

Now this is really stretching it. We are talking about the relavance of your topics to the "General" sub-forum. In this case it is clearly not related. Even though you got the email from a fellow CS member, that does not make it photography related. You are totally welcomed to post this in "Banal Talk".

CS is a forum for photography. Since the topics in photography can be very wide, we set up subforums for grouping similar topics in the same place. We even have a "Banal Talk" sub-forum for non-photography related subjects.

Personally, I am fine with members posting in the "General" sub-forum when they are not sure of where to post their topics. I simply move them accordingly when I have the chance.

Thanks.

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Thanks Roy for pointing out that my initial message was not clear enuf and yes, I admit it is stretching things a little. I am pleased that my messages/threads to be moved by u and other moderators to a more appropriate section.

I just hope that the admin pple in clubsnap will be tolerant of misplaced threads and the fact that the person starting the thread does not show proper linkage to photography in starting the thread. Having said that, I am sure that if it wants to attract pple and retain them in this forum, they ought to be more tolerant?

Yes, agree with u that photography these days can include sub topics and making the connections sometimes can be tough.

As such, when I start a thread, I will try to be more conscious of putting it in the appropriate section and be more clear in drawing up the linkages so as not to cause misunderstanding.

Jeff

Thanks!

Thanks Roy, i know and understand that being a moderator on a volunteer basis is really a thankless job!! That said, I think it shld not stop good guys from coming forward to volunteer as mods...

I just hope that the admin pple in clubsnap will be tolerant of misplaced threads and the fact that the person starting the thread does not show proper linkage to photography in starting the thread. Having said that, I am sure that if it wants to attract pple and retain them in this forum, they ought to be more tolerant?
    Well, actually some people get put off by disorganized boards too. So, the moderator has to strike a balance between the two opposing views of what goes where.

You wouldn't want this fine board to become like one of Singapore's most popular boards that have irrelevant threads everywhere, do you? That server is known to have some serious load problems and flames abound among supporters of two big competitors.