Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

  1. #21

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    taxpayers's money gone again just like tat...

  2. #22

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    16666 is possible with the technology of today... the recolt might be very strong that why the monut it on wheels, I've seen the impossible before when i was in saf but not supergun.
    Favouritism | Design + Lifestyle + Art

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    HOME
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    "Bo Bo" isn't the correct term, it should be "WO WO" which stands of "Wash Out Wash Out".

    "Wash Out" is the term that the Brits used when someone didn't hit any of the targets. This was when they still ruled over Singapore and it's armed forces. Some of the older CSMs and Warrent Officers and NCOs (That used to work under the British before transferring to the SAF) will remember the correct term "Wo Wo".

    "Bo Bo" is a recent *******isation (about 20yrs ago) probably by Hokkien Pengs who couldn't understand or refused to pronounce it correctly.

    Another term that is often mispronounced is "Flannelette". This is the beige cotton cloth we use to clean our M16 barrels with. Even 20yrs ago when I did my BMT, the guys were mispronouncing it as "Fan-der-lite". Taught to them by the training NCOs. So God only knows how long it has been mispronounced.
    wow constantly amazed by what i can learn in clubsnap.
    anyway, Singapore has those weapons? or are they just testing it here?

    with these weapons, no more bobo (or wowo) shooters anymore, but IA drills super siong, so many rounds, how to dig out. or will it cause a big explosion in the barrel?
    Last edited by pcwe68; 30th January 2006 at 03:01 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by zerofour
    16666 is possible with the technology of today... the recolt might be very strong that why the monut it on wheels, I've seen the impossible before when i was in saf but not supergun.
    i feel very strongly that a handgun cannot let of 16,666 a second! unless the barrel was stacked for several meters in which case it would be pointless as a handgun!!!

  5. #25

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    i feel very strongly that a handgun cannot let of 16,666 a second! unless the barrel was stacked for several meters in which case it would be pointless as a handgun!!!
    I believe the specs of 16,666 per second is the rate of fire. i.e. if it could hold that many rounds, it could discharge them in one second.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    I believe the specs of 16,666 per second is the rate of fire. i.e. if it could hold that many rounds, it could discharge them in one second.
    So that basically means it cannot fire 16,666 a second as it hasnt got the capability to store enough bullets, therefore the handgun cannot fire 16,666 rounds in one second!

  7. #27

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    So that basically means it cannot fire 16,666 a second as it hasnt got the capability to store enough bullets, therefore the handgun cannot fire 16,666 rounds in one second!
    They put it this way to indicate the rate of speed the bullets can leave the barrel - you have to do the math.

    Anyway, here is a clearer explanation of the technology (which is still a closely guarded secret).

    http://cseserv.engr.scu.edu/StudentW...earchPaper.htm

    I believe, it is loosely based on inkjet technology.

  8. #28
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Wonder how many projectiles can it really hold.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    these kind of weapon is useful for suicide bombers or kamikaze type, as the target is not trying to evade being hit but rather rushing in to detonate at all cost. so the answer is to impact the target with so many projectile that it disintegrates before hitting home.

  10. #30

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Yes, as I was wondering, shooting so fast, where's the time to aim and shoot at each target.
    If it could hit 240,000 individual targets in a minute, then will be fun, but is this just a spray?

  11. #31
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,651

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Great!! We really need more guns around.....

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Metal Storm is developing weapon systems for unmanned ground vehicles and possibly base defense turret systems, utilising a saturation spread to defeat incoming mortars/RPGs/rockets, or simply deter a large group from entering the compound.

    The system uses electrical pulses to ignite and fire the rounds, not chemicals, thus allowing for this phenomenal ROF.

    This is in conjunction with DARPA, STK and DSTA.STK provides the airburst munitions for this test.DARPA is the integration agency for the platforms, IIRC.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Metal Storm is developing weapon systems for unmanned ground vehicles and possibly base defense turret systems, utilising a saturation spread to defeat incoming mortars/RPGs/rockets, or simply deter a large group from entering the compound.

    The system uses electrical pulses to ignite and fire the rounds, not chemicals, thus allowing for this phenomenal ROF.

    This is in conjunction with DARPA, STK and DSTA.STK provides the airburst munitions for this test.DARPA is the integration agency for the platforms, IIRC.
    best explanation.

    for those familiar with MG firing. Imagine sweeping a traverse target (eg: a charging infantry platoon). When you sweep the MG with a faster firing rate will mean you would cover more damage in the same sweep than one with a slower firing rate.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore.
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    this is just like how it was in the Aliens II movie!

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    end of there
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    The system uses electrical pulses to ignite and fire the rounds, not chemicals, thus allowing for this phenomenal ROF.
    I read from a gun mag a few years ago:
    The mechanism for firing is very similar to your inkjet printer head.
    Multiple projectiles are loaded into a single barrel, such that primer+charge is behind bullet, behind primer+charge, behind bullet, behind primer+charge etc.. (basically just stack 'em up)
    Tiny electrical pulses, driven by computer, fires the primer/charge at a specific location along a barrel; just like inkjet printer squirting a drop of ink out of a specific printhead.
    No moving parts since electrically fired not mechanically fired (hammer)...

    All you need to do is to cluster a whole mother-load of barrels together, and hey presto! "METAL STORM.."
    Also in the mag: There was a multi-barrel pistol prototype, which allowed the firer to select between "normal" or "less-than-lethal" shot... As the article said, it's like Judge Dredd..
    Canon 30D 100-400mm L IS|Tamron 17-35mm/f2.8-4,28-75mm/f2.8|Cosina Voigtlander Bessa-R 35mm/f2.5C

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by newbiegrapher
    taxpayers's money gone again just like tat...
    Good saying dude. Anyway, tax-payers money is free for them to do whatever they want, right?

  17. #37

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    another

    handheld gun 9mm shoots 1 million rounds per min.

    http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...e/1281426.html
    Well this wonderful. Get my hands on a couple of these and they would sell like hotcakes in East L.A.

    The Romans believed that one shouldn't kill ones nemesis, for if your nemesis is dead there is no one to demonstrate your superiority. Killing is the act of a coward, to allow life is to show power.

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Redhill
    Posts
    1,728

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    I think they wanna make sure no 1 can use the MAtrix trick to evade the shots

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode
    "Bo Bo" isn't the correct term, it should be "WO WO" which stands of "Wash Out Wash Out".

    "Wash Out" is the term that the Brits used when someone didn't hit any of the targets. This was when they still ruled over Singapore and it's armed forces. Some of the older CSMs and Warrent Officers and NCOs (That used to work under the British before transferring to the SAF) will remember the correct term "Wo Wo".

    "Bo Bo" is a recent *******isation (about 20yrs ago) probably by Hokkien Pengs who couldn't understand or refused to pronounce it correctly.

    Another term that is often mispronounced is "Flannelette". This is the beige cotton cloth we use to clean our M16 barrels with. Even 20yrs ago when I did my BMT, the guys were mispronouncing it as "Fan-der-lite". Taught to them by the training NCOs. So God only knows how long it has been mispronounced.
    you are right about the british terms. but we are now singapore armed forces! 'bo bo' is used here and we all know what it means. try saying 'wo wo' shooter here and you will get strange stares..

    'bo bo' makes alot more sense to us, when we say 'bo tiok target! bo tiok target!' or simple 'bo! bo!'
    (all of us regardless cheena, malays, indians, or local born eurasians who served before all
    know what 'bo bo' means)

    hokkien peng so wat? combat fit, can run fast, obey orders = good soldier.
    agree?

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: New super-gun to be tested in Feb in singapore. 240,000 rounds per minute

    kinda reminds me of the ending in the show Ying Xiong (Hero?) where Emperor Qin order the volley of arrows on Wu Ming... how many arrows was that...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •