Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: circular polariser ???

Default circular polariser ???

sorry to ask stupid qtn but wat's circular polariser used for?

Default Re: circular polariser ???

A good read-up

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...larizers.shtml

Regards

P.S. ... and a "circular P.", as opposed to the Linear P, is the one to be used on autofocus cameras.

i read somewhere that we gotta rotate the filter, as they can spin, to get the 'desired effect'.. however, i dun see a diff when i turn.. how do we know how much to turn if theres such a thing? please advise.. cant find an answer for this. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by niki
    i read somewhere that we gotta rotate the filter, as they can spin, to get the 'desired effect'.. however, i dun see a diff when i turn.. how do we know how much to turn if theres such a thing? please advise.. cant find an answer for this. thanks
    Im not sure, but i think this is for a graduated filter, i.e. poloriser at the top clear glass at the bottom, put the polariser bit at the top and the sky goes bluer and water doesnt (turning for a different effect)

If you have a normal polariser then there will be no effect when turning

PLEASE do a search. Noted members have discussed and debated over this filter many times.

i did. i found this thread, i read the links provided, it doesnt answer my question. thats y i'm asking. thats wat this forum is for rite? if u have nothing contructive to sae, then sae nothing at all..

i did. i found this thread, i read the links provided, it doesnt answer my question. thats y i'm asking. thats wat this forum is for rite? if u have nothing contructive to sae, then sae nothing at all..
    Wildstallion has already explained it to you. Don't get so angry leh...
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

You can try on the tree leaf. Notice that when you rotate the Cir-PL, in some degree, you can see the leaf without white reflection. Or try on the water reflection.

Regards,
    Arto.

True... rotatin it will giv u diff degree of polarizin effect fr min to max.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexlord
    Wildstallion has already explained it to you. Don't get so angry leh...
    Wildstallion is wrong. All the more reason to make a search and find the answer.
    I'm just amazed how asking for members to do a search is "unconstructive". No matter, I'm out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    Wildstallion is wrong. All the more reason to make a search and find the answer.
    I'm just amazed how asking for members to do a search is "unconstructive". No matter, I'm out of here.
    relax dude, it happens all the time

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    dont get your knickers in a twist, i dunno if i was right or wrong, u seem to know, take the time and just explain it, sure saves alot of hassle, and the guy is being nice about it, simply telling someone to search is hardly ever helpful, and if u wanted to u could suggest a search in a much nicer way

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    dont get your knickers in a twist, i dunno if i was right or wrong, u seem to know, take the time and just explain it, sure saves alot of hassle, and the guy is being nice about it, simply telling someone to search is hardly ever helpful, and if u wanted to u could suggest a search in a much nicer way
    Agreed. In a sense, what makes you think that people who are asking such a question is being lazy about it? Mayhap he has already exhausted all available options, or couldn't really understand those he did manage to find.

So, let's not assume.. we are all here to learn and share. Why come to a forum if not for that reason (one of many reasons, lest I be assuming as well)?
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

If you have polarised sunglasses, go down to the beach or a river and have a look at the reflections on the water.

Then take them off and look through them whilst slowly turning them through 180 deg.

On a sunny day do the same looking at a few lone clouds in a blue sky.

Or do the same on a sunny day with your reflection in a glass window.

Somewhere between these examples, you should get an idea what a polarising filter does.

The main reason you use a circular polariser is that the polarised light needs to not only reach your CCD/CMOS sensor, but also reach sensors* that are used for light metering etc.

These sensors* don't respond correctly to light that is linearly polarised.

Cheers.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Effect is most obvious on reflective surfaces. Let the following pictures tell the story.

Left pic NO CP, Right pic WITH Nikon CP II. No PS done on pic.

Cheers

thanks wildstallion, et al..

shall try outdoors again 2moro.. fyi, i've been readin up all sorts of photog books from the library.. i'm not here to ask u guys things like whther i shld buy a 350D or a D70.. it somethin i tried on my filter.. and cant figure out, so i'm asking.. thanks guys.
    Last edited by niki; 19th May 2006 at 11:46 PM.

polarisers work by restricting light passing through it to a certain phase...thus, taking the sofa example, light is streaming through the window from the right of the sofa and bouncing back from the sofa to the camera...by aligning (rotating) the polariser such that it blocks the light coming from that direction, we remove the reflection of the light...the point of the rotating element of the polariser is so that we can adjust it such that light only enters in such a way, that we can try to take out unwanted reflections and glare, and that we can remove some glare in the sky so the sky appears more blue...how much to turn it depends on your preference, there are no hard and fast rule...

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion
    Im not sure, but i think this is for a graduated filter, i.e. poloriser at the top clear glass at the bottom, put the polariser bit at the top and the sky goes bluer and water doesnt (turning for a different effect)

If you have a normal polariser then there will be no effect when turning
    Sorry to say this is totally wrong, what info you provide here is totally misleading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast