Thread: Promotional airfares

Default Promotional airfares

Pick some brains here...

I will be going to Europe in June this year on a family holiday. I've noticed that promotional airfares are about 30% cheaper if you book closer to the travel date. What's the disadvantage of doing this? Is it very difficult to get these tickets?

Would appreciate if some folks familiar with the travel industry can give some pointers.

Thanks.

Default Re: Promotional airfares

I'm not from travel industry.. but I got caught in this trap few year back planning a trip to Aus.

The tickets TO aus is cheap but the return trip isn't. In the end.. I ended up paying more.
    They keep telling me.. no return tickets. earliest return is xx weeks or days after my intended return date.

Anyway, I thought it's always cheaper to buy further away from the date? I bought tickets from a few budget airlines and they offer cheaper tickets if you book early.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

June to Europe this year will be tough because of the World Cup. Eventhough it is in Germany, the spill over effect is quite meaningful. If you want to fly direct from Singapore, good luck. I am not even talking about prices now, just availability.

I will book now. Do you have set dates? If so, Zuji.com is a good starting point. Their prices is low, but not always the lowest. Travel agent can sometimes get you lower prices, but they cannot book until much later, by then, no seats.

SQ is best bet out of Singapore, in terms of scheduling, but not cheap. Luftansa, BA and Quantas has direct flights. If you don't mind changing plance, Emirates is a good choice, so is Thai and MAS. Finnair (Finland) has decent deals but you have to fly all the way to Helsinki to transit. Turkish Air is cheap, but you have to transit thru Bangkok and Instanbul.

Book early.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Not from the travel industry. But got some POVs, FWIW.

How close is your closer? The really cheap tickets very close to the travelling date are usually very limited seats and probably not your desired date of travel (mid week etc).

If the destination during that period is the peak season, then if you see a decent deal, get it! The price may fall at a later time but that doesn't mean you can get the tickets!

Currently there're some promos on QF/BA and Lufthansa. Not sure if its applicable for travel in June, but the prices seems to be as good as it gets!

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Pick some brains here...

I will be going to Europe in June this year on a family holiday. I've noticed that promotional airfares are about 30% cheaper if you book closer to the travel date. What's the disadvantage of doing this? Is it very difficult to get these tickets?

Would appreciate if some folks familiar with the travel industry can give some pointers.

Thanks.

It could be a little early to book for June travel. Prices are usually published quarterly so if you book for June, you will probably be getting "list" prices.

If you have a regular / semi-regular travel agent that you're relative comfortable with, you can make a booking first** on their current price list for your travel dates so that you will at least get a seat. As long as the tickets aren't issued, you should not need to pay anything upfront. If there are better fares, you can get your agent to make another booking for you.

TG and MAS generally have quite decent fares, but require you to transit at BKK / KL. You should look out for promotions if available because they usually give the best value. June/July is high season in Europe because of the summer hols, so it might be tough finding promotions.

If you can be slightly flexible on your travel dates, I would recommend leaving in May to avoid the peak crowd / prices. I've been in Europe twice so far. My last trip was in May last year to France and the weather was superb over the 2 weeks I was there.

**Some airlines are a pain and can cancel your bookings after a period if the tickets aren't issued. This usually occurs closer to the travel date though. Your agent would know which airlines are "pickier".

Caveat: I'm not in the travel industry but I do a fair bit of travel myself. Good luck and hope you'll have a great time. Europe is one of my favourite destinations... If only the Euro was a little weaker...

So far in my 2 experience of going Europe, I don't find getting better deal when book the tickets closer to travelling date. I am not sure if you can get good deal for last minute booking, example book today and travel tomorrow.

In fact I found myself paying quite expensive for booking about 2/3 weeks before travelling.

I do notice you can get cheaper ticket if book early. This will be good if you can confirm your plan early.

Monitor Zuji, and you should be able to see the pricing trend ....if you still have some time.

Try to look out for any promotion from any airlines, sometime you can get very good deal.