Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backing up your pictures

Default Re: Backing up your pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ywh
    Thus what I get is 3 copies on HDDs (the initial copy from the CF card is deleted) and 3 copies on CDR and 1 copy on DVDr. CDRs used are Verbatim Datallife plus Super Azo and Fuji Taiyo Yuden. DVDs are Fujis too. Even with all this really redundant backup, I worry about the 'readability' of the data in the future.
    According to friends working in data storage research, a much better medium than dye-based DVDs/CDs are rewritables. They use phase change media, which supposedly is much more stable in the long run. Alas, they are not that cheap ...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    According to friends working in data storage research, a much better medium than dye-based DVDs/CDs are rewritables. They use phase change media, which supposedly is much more stable in the long run. Alas, they are not that cheap ...
    yes, i hv read somewhere tat RWs do not use dye and hence do not hv those problems like the dvd&cd-Rs...

dvd-r now <S$1 right? how much are those dvd-rw?

Quote Originally Posted by metallilan
    can always try microsoft's synctoy. clicky

Thanks for posting this link. I tried it and it works perfect for quickly backing up your data.

once i clear my photos....i juz burn them on a dvd and stack them up hahaha

If u backup ur stuff to DVD/CD, pls do so on media from different manufacturers -- to avoid situation where they have quality problem in a single batch.

Read this for more on disc lifespans:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-10149-0...11&tag=nl.e497

and people who are thinking of using CD or DVD RWs to backup, read the last paragraph of the main answer...

to have bullet proof protection, you would just have to combine RAID 1 backup of files on 2 seperate HDDs, store each HDD in different physical locations that are climatically controlled, backup the files also in DVDRs, and then rebackup files every time a new disc storage medium is introduced for greater safety and futureproof-ness...

RWs have never been recommended for archival storage. Rs are more stable but tape drives would be one way to go a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by ywh
    RWs have never been recommended for archival storage. Rs are more stable but tape drives would be one way to go a little further.
    I foudn some claims on the web that rewritables would not last very long, but nothing that would substantiate this claim (or the opposite). But I would expect better stability from rewritables. The phase change layer is an inorganic metallic alloy, whereas dyes are organic molecules that are chemically not very stable and require little activation energy (e.g. exposure to sunlight) to bleach them. (Has anyone ever thought of taking a photo by exposing CDR media in a camera?)

oh dear - this has got me worried! Time I started doing a bit more than bunging them all onto one external HD!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12