Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand shake or subject moving?

Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

Ok I took a look at several pics. With regards to shutter speed, strangely enuf some of the pics which had relatively low speed like 1/79 didn't come out blur.

Not that I don't trust Francis247, but I'm just saying that if low speed results in blur, then by right all pics taken with low speed should be blur rite? That's a noob's assumption lah.

But below I have a pic which is reasonably sharp. And its using 1/79 which is even lower than the other pic's 1/80 yet its not blur. Wierd sia! And I have another pic which is using 1/60 just like one of the blur pics. But yet its super clear. Maybe its 'cos no zoom was used for that one lah.

Don't tell me that means all my blur pics are due to my hand ah!
    Last edited by wheek; 28th January 2006 at 11:49 AM.

Just wondering, can it be that you have not focused at all? =p
    Maybe it's on MF and you just snap away.

My advice is back to basics.

1. Stand in a position so that you feel comfortable and will not sway or need to tip-toe
    2. Stand firmly
    3. Try not to operate your cam single handed
    4. No "Chicken Wing" when holding camera (more for SLR user)
    5. Breathing techniques.

You need these basics to help to overcome hand shake.

The rule of thumb of 1/focal length can only be satisfied if these basics are met.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

my view on this:

if the entire scene is blurred, it's handshake.
    if only the subject is blurred, it's motion blur
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Hoky
    Just wondering, can it be that you have not focused at all? =p
    Maybe it's on MF and you just snap away.
    Focus as in press half way, wait for the beep then snap? If yes then I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    My advice is back to basics.

1. Stand in a position so that you feel comfortable and will not sway or need to tip-toe
    2. Stand firmly
    3. Try not to operate your cam single handed
    4. No "Chicken Wing" when holding camera (more for SLR user)
    5. Breathing techniques.

You need these basics to help to overcome hand shake.

The rule of thumb of 1/focal length can only be satisfied if these basics are met.
    Ok so it looks like its all due to my hands.

1. No, didn't have to tip toe that day but it was crowded so I guess I might've been bumped a little now & then.

2. See no. 1.

3. Both hands were used. Maybe I pressed too hard when I clicked?

4. Was using the LCD screen so my arms were like 90 degrees? Not tucked in for sure.

5. SAF style ah? Half breath then snap?

Quote Originally Posted by wheek

No offence taken.

For this photo, the background (stationary) is sharp, but the subject hand is slightly blur, this is subject shake. If your shutter speed increase, you can freeze her hand moving and capture it clearly.
    Last edited by Francis247; 26th January 2006 at 12:03 AM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Quote Originally Posted by wheek

Diz 3rd pic looks ok. Itz not razor sharp but ok. There is still slight handshake here.

Not that I don't trust Francis247, but I'm just saying that if low speed results in blur, then by right all pics taken with low speed should be blur rite?
    Wat Francis247 is tryin to say is if u wanna freeze a movin subject then a high shutter speed wud b appropriate. Notice e left hand of e lady in ur 3rd pic, datz due to slow shutter. If lets say u r usin a high shutter here, dat motion of e hand wud b frozen (dead sharp).

The reason I'm asking is 'cos I'm thinking of getting a new camera. Either Nikon Coolpix S4 or Canon Powershot S2. If the blurness was NOT caused by handshake, then I'll go with S4. Its cheaper, more compact & since handshakes wern't the cause, then the fact that it has no stabiliser wouldn't be an issue.

In this case, since handshakes WERE the cause, I think I better not risk getting a cam with no stabiliser. At least S2 got optical stabiliser. I think my Ixus 400 got no stabiliser too which made the handshakes worst.
    Last edited by wheek; 26th January 2006 at 12:10 AM.

If possible, try to use a 3 digit shutter speed to avoid hand shake and subject shake.

Anyway, the data shows that

Focal length = 22mm
    Aperture = f/4.5
    Shutter Speed = 1/80s

Which should not be hand shake, but that is only a rule of thumb. My suggestion is to use a much faster shutter speed.
    Pardon me for my this comment, wasn't really paying attention to the details of the photos but more of the setting details. Well, this is what you get for getting up early to work and leaving office now.

Anyway, for wheek, try to find a camera that you find comfortable holding to and can give you a good grip. More ergonomic design that you can overcome your handshake.

Anyway, happy shooting.

Pardon me for my this comment, wasn't really paying attention to the details of the photos but more of the setting details. Well, this is what you get for getting up early to work and leaving office now.

Anyway, for wheek, try to find a camera that you find comfortable holding to and can give you a good grip. More ergonomic design that you can overcome your handshake.

Anyway, happy shooting.
    I'm guessing the Ixus 400 being so small is kinda hard to have a good grip. And I'm guessing that since it didn't have optical IS, that made things worst too.

Whether your camera got IS or no IS, I think it is important that you learn
    to hold your camera steady and shoot stationary subject at least 1/60s.
    You should get 9/10 shots sharp, else more practice is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by obewan
    Whether your camera got IS or no IS, I think it is important that you learn
    to hold your camera steady and shoot stationary subject at least 1/60s.
    You should get 9/10 shots sharp, else more practice is needed.
    Yes, I agree with the concept of steadiness of the hand. However I would also agree with Wheek on the difficulties of handling the Ixus under indoor / low light conditions.

I currently own the Ixus 400 and 350D. And I'll use the Ixus whenever it's too bulky to bring the DSLR (company travels... etc).

You cannot adjust the shutter speed of the Ixus. The only thing that you can do similiar is to change the exposure setting in M mode. However this is only for setting long exposures.

The best way to get a shot in such conditions (using the Ixus) is to use a high film sensitivity (high ISO) and hopefully the camera adjust it's shutter speeds accordingly to achieve a decent shot.

Well if your hand shakes like crazy then obviously IS wouldn't help at all. But I'm assuming it DOES help for minor vibrations rite? If not why even have it in the 1st place?

Background (stationary object) blurr + subject blurr = handshake
    Background clear + subject blurr = subject moving
    Background blurr + subject clear = handshake (on purpose - Panning)
    Background clear + subject clear = Do I need to elaborate?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12