Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Hand shake or subject moving?

  1. #1

    Default Hand shake or subject moving?

    I know this sounds dumb but let's say out of 20 pics I take, about 8 or 10 of them come out blurred while the rest are in focus, how do I know whether it was due to handshakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was moving?

    I mean if you are taking a photo of a person & he stands still to pose for you, then I would ASSUME that a blurred photo means shakes/vibration. Can't be that he's moving 'cos he's frozen there for you!

    But if the ppl are moving e.g. models walking on a stage or performers doing their stuff outside Ngee Ann City. Then how do I know if a blurred photo is due to shakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was in motion? If I'm not wrong, when your subject is in motion (esp when they're fast e.g. a dancer on stage) it results in blurred photos.

    Just wanna know how I can differentiate when a blur was caused by this & when it was caused by that. Thanks!
    Last edited by wheek; 25th January 2006 at 11:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    tiny dot of the third rock
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    check your shutter speed...
    or just buy a Konica Minolta and turn Anti-Shake on =P

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    India~SNG~HKG~dunno where..
    Posts
    317

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    I know this sounds dumb but let's say out of 20 pics I take, about 8 or 10 of them come out blurred while the rest are in focus, how do I know whether it was due to handshakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was moving?

    I mean if you are taking a photo of a person & he stands still to pose for you, then I would ASSUME that a blurred photo means shakes/vibration. Can't be that he's moving 'cos he's frozen there for you!

    But if the ppl are moving e.g. models walking on a stage or performers doing their stuff outside Ngee Ann City. Then how do I know if a blurred photo is due to shakes/vibration or the fact that the subject was in motion? If I'm not wrong, when your subject is in motion (esp when they're fast e.g. a dancer on stage) it results in blurred photos.

    Just wanna know how I can differentiate when a blur was caused by this & when it was caused by that. Thanks!

    could be due to handshakes.. people could give postive comments if you post few pix
    moving object is blurr.. what is ur shutter speed?
    Last edited by lenzz; 25th January 2006 at 11:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Use some software such as Opanda to check the photo details or the Exif data for the shutter speed and focal length. If shutter speed is slower than 1/focal length, possibility of hand shake.

    In any case, if you are taking models or performers in those Roadshow, try to use a faster shutter speed to avoid the problem, if not, use a tripod.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  5. #5

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by lenzz
    could be due to handshakes.. people could give postive comments if you post few pix
    moving object is blurr.. what is ur shutter speed?
    How to check sia? Paiseh, total noob. I just got the Ixus 400 & used it like that. Everything set to auto. Ok will post pics in a minute.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?



    Here's one taken at 3x optical. They weren't moving about too quickly as they were chatting.



    Also 3x optical. They were moving a bit quicker in this one. Kinda prancing around while dancing. But not what I would consider fast movements like fast dance or what.
    Last edited by wheek; 28th January 2006 at 11:49 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Use some software such as Opanda to check the photo details or the Exif data for the shutter speed and focal length. If shutter speed is slower than 1/focal length, possibility of hand shake.

    In any case, if you are taking models or performers in those Roadshow, try to use a faster shutter speed to avoid the problem, if not, use a tripod.
    Typically what speed would be good for like roadshows?

  8. #8
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    How to check sia? Paiseh, total noob. I just got the Ixus 400 & used it like that. Everything set to auto. Ok will post pics in a minute.
    You can follow this link to download iExif from Opanda. If not, if you are using Windows XP, right click on the photo and go to properties. It will show you the details.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  9. #9

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    the stage background also blur so means u move/handshake also.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    You can follow this link to download iExif from Opanda. If not, if you are using Windows XP, right click on the photo and go to properties. It will show you the details.
    Right click didn't show details like shutter speed leh. Anyway, I just checked, apparently since the cam's on auto setting, I can't even select an ISO speed. Only when set to manual then can change. And mine's auto all the way.

  11. #11
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    Typically what speed would be good for like roadshows?
    If possible, try to use a 3 digit shutter speed to avoid hand shake and subject shake.

    Anyway, the data shows that

    Focal length = 22mm
    Aperture = f/4.5
    Shutter Speed = 1/80s

    Which should not be hand shake, but that is only a rule of thumb. My suggestion is to use a much faster shutter speed.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by benedium
    the stage background also blur so means u move/handshake also.
    So if the stage background is clear but only the ppl blur that means its due to the fact that they were moving too fast? Nothing to do with handshakes then?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SG,Northern
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    From e 2 pics, I can safely say dat itz mainly due handshake.

    Y? Coz e whole image is blur from centre to side. If itz due to moving subject, I reckon some part of e pics shud b in focus...

    Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

  14. #14
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    Right click didn't show details like shutter speed leh. Anyway, I just checked, apparently since the cam's on auto setting, I can't even select an ISO speed. Only when set to manual then can change. And mine's auto all the way.
    Couldn't be, I just check using my Windows XP, did you click the Summary tab?
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    If possible, try to use a 3 digit shutter speed to avoid hand shake and subject shake.

    Anyway, the data shows that

    Focal length = 22mm
    Aperture = f/4.5
    Shutter Speed = 1/80s

    Which should not be hand shake, but that is only a rule of thumb. My suggestion is to use a much faster shutter speed.
    So you feel that its NOT due to handshakes but shutter speed too low? Is shutter speed same as ISO? Because I only recall seeing ISO settings in my cam. Hmm all along I set to auto & as a result can't change any setting 'cos its all auto. If what you say is true, I guess must use manual now & increase ISO speed.

  16. #16
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    So if the stage background is clear but only the ppl blur that means its due to the fact that they were moving too fast? Nothing to do with handshakes then?
    Yap. That is right, stationary object will be in focus even if subject shake occurs.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  17. #17

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Even though shutter speed appears to be faster than 1/focal length, the pictures clearly suffered from severe handshake.

    The words on the stationery background are having blurred edges, indicating that there was very severe handshake.

    Warning : The above may not be 100% correct.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 25th January 2006 at 11:47 PM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Couldn't be, I just check using my Windows XP, did you click the Summary tab?
    Ah, I didn't go under Advanced. Silly me. Anyway, so the landscape pic was 1/80 while the portrait one was 1/60. As mentioned, I set to auto which would explain why 2 pics taken at same day got diff speed.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SG,Northern
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    Right click didn't show details like shutter speed leh. Anyway, I just checked, apparently since the cam's on auto setting, I can't even select an ISO speed. Only when set to manual then can change. And mine's auto all the way.
    1) Right-click on e pic
    2) Click on Properties
    3) Click one Summary tab
    4) Click on e Advance tab

  20. #20
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Hand shake or subject moving?

    Quote Originally Posted by wheek
    So you feel that its NOT due to handshakes but shutter speed too low? Is shutter speed same as ISO? Because I only recall seeing ISO settings in my cam. Hmm all along I set to auto & as a result can't change any setting 'cos its all auto. If what you say is true, I guess must use manual now & increase ISO speed.
    ISO speed is not the same as shutter speed. Please follow this link to understand about ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed.

    As for your case, even though the rule of thumb is satisfied, but it is quite obvious that your hand shake because the stationary backstage seems blur also.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •