Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quadro or FireGL

Default Re: Quadro or FireGL

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Frankly for 3D animation work you need more Horsepower in the CPU and RAM department first. A couple of clients of mine who do animaiton work professionally swear by the Matrox Parhelia cards for general animation work and also for their accuracy when creating mapping textures in 2D using PhotoShop.

AGP or PCI-E makes little difference until you get in to real workstation level cards and they cost a lot of $$.

Ian
    kinda notice it now... there is actually not much of an improvement from previous rendering, except that during sketching the objects move faster...

think either i get a dual processor (dual core = hyperthreading rite... i think i have liao, so dual processor, dual core = Quad pro?) and up the ram...

now hear the sound... like i need a new fan... upon rendering, the cpu work harder...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I must agree.. unless doing 3d stuff. then the fireGL/quadro is used. my laptop comes with FireGL. now i kinda feel it's wasted.. and i hardly play3d games.

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    I must agree.. unless doing 3d stuff. then the fireGL/quadro is used. my laptop comes with FireGL. now i kinda feel it's wasted.. and i hardly play3d games.
    i dun think playing 3D games makes a difference whether its FireGL or Radeon...

anyway, i think ATI really condemned by alot of 3D artist now... and i always thought ATI was good... tried running Vue5 with hardware Opengl, crash like mad... only can use with software opengl, which is like y not dun use better... and vue 5 was even kind enuff to give a warning pop up b4 the software load to tell me my ATI will crash.

I am thinking of going to get more rams, aiya... lazy to dismantle my system, anybody got software that can say how many ram slots i used and what type? cos i forgot which 1 i bought... should be a PC 4300 DDR2 533, but forget brand... and i read the mobo specs, can go up to 4gb... should i get another 2 or 3gb?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

search for this free program called CPU-Z...should be able to tell you what brand of memory, which socket, what speed, what size, and where it likes to hang out after work...

get as much as your board can take without discard of what you have now... unless you want to max out on RAM...you can always see if this improvement is good enough or get more later on...
    Last edited by theRBK; 3rd February 2006 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    search for this free program called CPU-Z...should be able to tell you what brand of memory, which socket, what speed, what size, and where it likes to hang out after work...

get as much as your board can take without discard of what you have now... unless you want to max out on RAM...you can always see if this improvement is good enough or get more later on...
    upgraded 1 to 2gig, and another to 3gig cos both is dual channel 512x2...

now faster alot already....

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    New to this...

Anybody know which is better? and for beginners with limited budget (for learning) which card is better, in AGP or PCI express.
    With limited budget go for the cheapest, upgrade the memory. Little different with the current home PC motherboard.
    YMMV

Cheers

As you should have realised by now, in any 3D software, there are 2 rendering stages, 1st is preview and the other is final rendering which gives you the final image or animation.

Graphics card performance only affects the preview speed. A pro-level OpenGL card is useful when you CAD polygon heavy stuff and wanna model fast with smooth rotation, OpenGL preview, etc. For the average user, you don't need such an expensive card, a decent nVidia card is sufficient.

As for the final render, the graphics card does not contribute to the processing speed. This is a very common misconception and I can vomit blood trying to argue with 'experts' who think and advise people otherwise. This stage purely depends on your processor, memory capacity and busspeed. Rendering speed scale up linearly with an increase in processing speed when you have enough RAM, so having a dual processor or dual core processor usually doubles the rendering speed. This is the reason that renderfarms that do final rendering as controlled by a main system usually uses lousy onboard graphics and they are perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    As you should have realised by now, in any 3D software, there are 2 rendering stages, 1st is preview and the other is final rendering which gives you the final image or animation.

Graphics card performance only affects the preview speed. A pro-level OpenGL card is useful when you CAD polygon heavy stuff and wanna model fast with smooth rotation, OpenGL preview, etc. For the average user, you don't need such an expensive card, a decent nVidia card is sufficient.

As for the final render, the graphics card does not contribute to the processing speed. This is a very common misconception and I can vomit blood trying to argue with 'experts' who think and advise people otherwise. This stage purely depends on your processor, memory capacity and busspeed. Rendering speed scale up linearly with an increase in processing speed when you have enough RAM, so having a dual processor or dual core processor usually doubles the rendering speed. This is the reason that renderfarms that do final rendering as controlled by a main system usually uses lousy onboard graphics and they are perfectly fine.
    I agree. I'm just too tired to repeat myself to some interior designers

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    I agree. I'm just too tired to repeat myself to some interior designers
    Yah boy... I understand your frustration.... just cannot stand these 'experts' who recommend students who do 3D rendering buy a video card that is more expensive than the processor and motherboard add together so that rendering time is 'faster'! Duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Frankly for 3D animation work you need more Horsepower in the CPU and RAM department first. A couple of clients of mine who do animaiton work professionally swear by the Matrox Parhelia cards for general animation work and also for their accuracy when creating mapping textures in 2D using PhotoShop.

AGP or PCI-E makes little difference until you get in to real workstation level cards and they cost a lot of $$.

Ian
    But unfortunately, all the chipsets that support newer CPU only feature PCI-E, so it make more sense to get PCI-E card to couple with the latest CPU.

Anyway, the price for PCI-E and AGP card are about the same, but once u got an AGP card, you are stuck because you wont be able to use the card again when you upgrade your CPU next time.

Yah boy... I understand your frustration.... just cannot stand these 'experts' who recommend students who do 3D rendering buy a video card that is more expensive than the processor and motherboard add together so that rendering time is 'faster'! Duh!
    wonder juz how many of yah do rendering and animation for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by glensky
    wonder juz how many of yah do rendering and animation for a living?
    I used to and my line of work now is still related to that.

I used to and my line of work now is still related to that.
    architectural or interior?

[wonder juz how many of yah do rendering and animation for a living?][/Originally Posted by: glensky ]

I do rendering for consumer products in design. That counts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beserk
    [wonder juz how many of yah do rendering and animation for a living?][/Originally Posted by: glensky ]

I do rendering for consumer products in design. That counts ?
    YEAP

If you notice OpenGL speeds up the rendering a lot, and I would reckon more people will recommend a nVidia-based card.

Quote Originally Posted by darr
    If you notice OpenGL speeds up the rendering a lot, and I would reckon more people will recommend a nVidia-based card.
    No it doesn't and it depends on what you are doing!

Do read the entire thread to understand the difference between OpenGL preview render and full final render.

Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a new PC for my work(architectural renderings)
    What kind of setup would you ppl advise?
    looking at a budget ard 1300-1500.need at least ard 200G for archiving and storage purposes as well.
    it will mainly be used for rendering and for some photoshop DI as well.
    will be doing a lot of cadding as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tiong78
    Hi all

I'm thinking of getting a new PC for my work(architectural renderings)
    What kind of setup would you ppl advise?
    looking at a budget ard 1300-1500.need at least ard 200G for archiving and storage purposes as well.
    it will mainly be used for rendering and for some photoshop DI as well.
    will be doing a lot of cadding as well.
    not enuff lor...

u basically need a 64bit system now... dun talk about software 1st... *tat part more than 1.5k liao (just any of them with some combo will over liao)

system wise...

64bit any processor + mobo = about 600
    graphics card - non pro, maybe about 300
    ram 2gb = 300
    casing = 100
    hdd = 300

beh gao liao... haven add in others like DVDRW drive, KB & Mouse... monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    not enuff lor...

u basically need a 64bit system now... dun talk about software 1st... *tat part more than 1.5k liao (just any of them with some combo will over liao)

system wise...

64bit any processor + mobo = about 600
    graphics card - non pro, maybe about 300
    ram 2gb = 300
    casing = 100
    hdd = 300

beh gao liao... haven add in others like DVDRW drive, KB & Mouse... monitor...
    oh. its ok. I can up my budget. But which is better? AMD or Intel? Any good MOBO to intro?
    graphics card wise any good recommendation for my usage( I dun play games on my PC)?
    I got extra KB, mouse & monitor. So its just the CPU that i need help in.
    A stable mid-end set up would be fine by my standard..

would appreciate the help. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast