View Poll Results: The best bounce device is....

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • StoFen Omnibounce

194 32.77%
  • Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer

13 2.20%
  • Lumiquest 80/20

7 1.18%
  • 5x7" bounce card alone

31 5.24%
  • 5x7" bounce card + ceiling

116 19.59%
  • The built-in bounce card on the flash alone

14 2.36%
  • The built-in bounce card on the flash + ceiling

52 8.78%
  • Others

93 15.71%
  • None, direct flash is so much better

13 2.20%
  • None, don't use flash

59 9.97%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The best bounce device is....

Default Re: The best bounce device is....

wat's a bounce card guys ?

A bounce card is just a white card u place behind the flash when u tilt the flash head upwards. It helps catch some of the light shooting upwards to the ceiling in the forward direction to fill in the shadows caused by the downward illumination which is created by the aforementioned upwards flash pulse which bounced off the ceiling.

StoFen Omnibounce at 45, 60 or 90 degrees...

Have been using a 4" x 6" white card attached with rubber band on my Metz 402 since 1975 when I was doing photography in the area of wedding, exhibition and public relation.

Many a time fellow photographers at that time were surprised seeing me at the former World Trade Centre (Harbour Front) covering exhibition events photographing booths with the Metz 402 and the 4"x6" white card. The flash head was tilted 90 degree up with the card attached to it with rubberband. You wonder why? Imagine the height of the ceiling at the World Trade Centre. If I am not wrong, it could have been more than 40feet high!

Continue to use the same size card on the newer Metz 60CT-1 but with different colours (pink, yellow, blue and red). The bounced cards are all DIY and tight to the flash head with strong rubberband.

Today I am using the smaller Metz MZ-32 with a smaller 4"x 3" white card or printed coloured card with DLSR and found it to be just right for me. The card can be released from the tilted flash head and positioned at a higher angle for a softer bounce with my left hand.

Last edited by forward; 7th December 2005 at 12:52 PM.

...a rubber ball?

I'm using Lumiquest Softbox.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 5th February 2006 at 02:59 AM.

Talking Re: The best bounce device is....

Use everything together!

Pull out built-in diffuser, mount Sto-Fen Omnibounce, then mount Lightsphere (+ inverted dome) on top of that, then stick a bounce-card behind it all. I'll call it the Stomnisphere!

Heck, I think I'm actually going to try that out to see how it goes. Cannot get good shot at least still can catch people's attention.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Use everything together!

Pull out built-in diffuser, mount Sto-Fen Omnibounce, then mount Lightsphere (+ inverted dome) on top of that, then stick a bounce-card behind it all. I'll call it the Stomnisphere!

Heck, I think I'm actually going to try that out to see how it goes. Cannot get good shot at least still can catch people's attention.
    Wow.. how much light are you going to lose like that?

Quote Originally Posted by lualua
    With a powerful flash, i prefer ceilings and esp corners of the wall, where the light bounch evenly all over the place, giving nice, clean lighting. So my flash duun always point up, sometimes, you;ll see it pointing backwards..

I use 5X7 and A4 size white cards as well, the bigger the better, never use the plastic cap that goes over the flash, its still a small point source.

Haha ! Pal !

I'm not the only one whom pan the flash head to the back top ceiling corner for a bounce !

Well, joint this thread late...

When I first saw/tried omnibounce, I'm not impressed at all, it's reassembling the idea of a device called "Bulb Flash", it's good for small confined area, but the light will falls off very speedily... Not my cup of tea !

Guess what ?

I drill holes on the top of the omnibounce, to allow light to bounce off the ceiling for some addition light, but still retain the charater of "bulb flash" ! Ah haha... That's getting closer to what I want. But it's still not my fav. I do prefer to do a rear corner bounce whenever possible.

If I have my 54MZ4, I would do a ETTL bounce, and I do not need any compensation, the results turn out beautifully, and very often, if the ceiling height is not too high, and the room isn't that big, I'd do a complete back bounce with the top corner of the rear ceiling for group shots. It works almost 100%, and had never failed me once.

For portraiture, half body or head shot...

No choice, you need a flash system capable to be off from the camera hot shoe, in TTL mode or A mode, with the sensor (in A mode) placed on either the camera hotshoe or on a bracket just next to the camera (as close to the camera as possible), the flash will mount on an white umbrella, about 30 to 45 degree away from the axis of the camera, on the left (my personal habbit) and either a reflector or a fill flash place on the right, producing 2 to 3 stop less than my main flash from the umbrella.

Honestly many of the accesories were DIY, such as the DC 320V supply fed directly to my Minolta 320X flash, and the 3M extenssion between the sensor and the flash, I'm in electronics trade, and it's no big deal to me.... The only thing that I'd not yet extend is the Metz SCA3008A extension cable.

Honestly, I'd not tried any full body shot, as I felt, the power of 54MZ4 might not be adequate and I felt to squueze all the juice out from it for a full body shot. I could be wrong.... though

Had any one tried the 54MZ4 on such a rig ?

For Stofen Omnibounch users.. Have a question..

It says on the packaging that the flash should be used at 45deg angle whenever possible.. So my question is, if the ceiling is too high and not possible to bouch off the ceiling, and there are no walls on either side.. Should I still use 45deg flash angle or should I shoot straight?

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan

It says on the packaging that the flash should be used at 45deg angle whenever possible.. So my question is, if the ceiling is too high and not possible to bouch off the ceiling, and there are no walls on either side.. Should I still use 45deg flash angle or should I shoot straight?
    Then I think you should shoot straight.

straight, bro..

I switched to Flip-it...best I think.

LS

Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan View Post

U can shoot straight but take note that your subject must be within range of your flash coverage. U should be not be more than 2m away otherwise u will get underexposed shots... I still prefer to shoot 45 degrees cos the material kills the flash output by a lot... but the problem with 45 degrees if also if u get the subject distance wrong, u get a shadow on the lower half of the shot... if u prefer to shoot straight then I suggest a bounce card... also shooting straight kills the batteries really fast cos u're firing at full power for every shot u use flash...

Somebody dig this up from Feb?

At Raffles City Atrium, somebody 5metres behind me used the stofen on his flash pointing straight up... I was shooting just with 70-200 at 800iso on monopod. I think he must have better and sharper images then me!

If you wanna to use something everybody uses/recommended/crazy about, at least learn to use it first la...

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post

At Raffles City Atrium, somebody 5metres behind me used the stofen on his flash pointing straight up... I was shooting just with 70-200 at 800iso on monopod. I think he must have better and sharper images then me!

If you wanna to use something everybody uses/recommended/crazy about, at least learn to use it first la...
    Raffles City Atrium? it's super high ceiling, or even no ceiling at all right?

if thats the case, how can bounced flash work? =/

Quote Originally Posted by Stratix View Post
    Raffles City Atrium? it's super high ceiling, or even no ceiling at all right?

if thats the case, how can bounced flash work? =/
    bounced within itself... hahaha

and get no or little light on the subject.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post

Perhaps he thought his is a SEARCH light or FLOOD light!

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    straight, bro..
    Straight means straight up to ceiling or straight at the subject?

how about gary fong lightspere saw the website and all very impressed?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast