View Poll Results: The best bounce device is....

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • StoFen Omnibounce

194 32.77%
  • Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer

13 2.20%
  • Lumiquest 80/20

7 1.18%
  • 5x7" bounce card alone

31 5.24%
  • 5x7" bounce card + ceiling

116 19.59%
  • The built-in bounce card on the flash alone

14 2.36%
  • The built-in bounce card on the flash + ceiling

52 8.78%
  • Others

93 15.71%
  • None, direct flash is so much better

13 2.20%
  • None, don't use flash

59 9.97%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best bounce device is....

bounce cards are important...recently did a test and confirmed the results....if u take a portait with the flash bounced off the ceiling...u will get shadows under the eyes...

put on a bounce card and it will reflect some light into the shadow areas and yet still bounce light off the ceiling....givin a soft effect....

no need to pour in too much $$$ into the card...something simple will do...

Now i use mine coupled with my omnibounce..

I like to use walls and ceilings if its an indoor thing, and have the entire exposure created by the flash.

Like this was done with the flash to the right wall. Because it is indoors, the entire room becomes a massive light box with the light boucing everywhere, with a bias towards the right. I dont have any uncertainty with motion blur, WB (if the walls r white or near white). Could be done for birthday parties too.

Of course, if it is a largish place with high ceiling, I like to use a simple bounce card lined with aluminum foil.

in the shadow of the tallest hill in S'pore!

Quote Originally Posted by marcwang
    Like this was done with the flash to the right wall. Because it is indoors, the entire room becomes a massive light box with the light boucing everywhere, with a bias towards the right.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the tip, but in the pic it seems like the guy's right was more brighter than his left, so isnt that bouncing off the left wall?

sorry, quite new to the use of bounce cards, angled flash and omnibounces.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by drummercow
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for the tip, but in the pic it seems like the guy's right was more brighter than his left, so isnt that bouncing off the left wall?

sorry, quite new to the use of bounce cards, angled flash and omnibounces.

Cheers

Oh yes.. I get confuse with left and rights too easily.

This wasnt the best example... abit too harsh for my liking. Facial detail was almost blown. I always use Manual flash in such circumstances. TTL or Auto seems far too conservative with their power.

Whats this thing that's on the flash? Any comments on it?

http://www.shootsmarter.com/images/i...ter/fglove.jpg

I used the rubber band and one flat bounce card and it work pretty well just wondering whats the difference between a single card and the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin
    Whats this thing that's on the flash? Any comments on it?

http://www.shootsmarter.com/images/i...ter/fglove.jpg

I used the rubber band and one flat bounce card and it work pretty well just wondering whats the difference between a single card and the above.
    Your's is a 'DIY' bounce card, this one is a commercially available off-the-shelve bounce card.

If yours is flat, then you'll need low ceiling to bounce part/the rest of the flash (that's not bounced off the card).

This one will take 100% of the flash to bounce forward. Good for no/high ceiling environment.

Of course you also can DIY the same.

Oh ok, any idea where I get one?

Default Ceiling bounce

Taken without any diffuser. I just point the flash to the ceiling.

It will give natural ceiling lights look that our eyes are accustomed to. However, the ceiling must be low and colour must be white.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf
    Your's is a 'DIY' bounce card, this one is a commercially available off-the-shelve bounce card.

If yours is flat, then you'll need low ceiling to bounce part/the rest of the flash (that's not bounced off the card).

This one will take 100% of the flash to bounce forward. Good for no/high ceiling environment.

Of course you also can DIY the same.
    Alternatively I tilt my flash head upright and put a white card behind... I lose some flash power but catch some deflection off the card that goes in the forward direction to light up the subject... not too bad IMO...

just a quick tip from personal experience when using bounce, to get correct exposure on the subject (assuming its a person) always FEL on neutral skintone of subject before recomposing to complete the shot.

Greatly reduces TTL metering messing up.

If u bounce, then usually u cannot leave the flash to the TTL... need some flash compensation...

Default Sticky note pad

Something fairly ubiquitous that I've improvised with is a white piece of 'sticky note' paper.

Quote Originally Posted by kuoann
    Something fairly ubiquitous that I've improvised with is a white piece of 'sticky note' paper.
    How large is the sticky notepad???

I think I voted for the Sto-Fen Omnibounce, probably because I bought into the hype without any substansive proof of its performance.

Well, seeing that I had nothing better to do on a Saturday night, I decided to do some test shots myself. Mind you, it's not an exhaustive test, but it does give an idea how how "good" the Omnibounce is.

All on P mode, multi-segment metering, TTL-flash for bounce, ADI for on-camera direct. By right, I should've set TTL when I mounted the Omnibounce on-camera direct, but I just wanted to keep all settings constant, as I'd probably use them on the field.

My test shots are here.

On the other hand, maybe it's also because I don't know how to use the Sto-fen properly. If anyone could share good shots using the Sto-fen, that'd be excellent.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

U've chosen rather dull subjects....

Edit: Is that a Dynax 7 in your sig? Is that what u are using for this series?

Yeah, not fantastic subjects, but I didn't really plan too much for this lah. Just wanted to see where the shadows were.

That's a Minolta Dimage A2, and it's what I used for the shots (+5600HSD).
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: The best bounce device is....

anone tried the eastgear bounce?

They are all roughly the same... ceiling bounce + bounce card (which u can make yourself is best... most even spread of light with least intense hotspots...

There isn't a best bounce device for me..
    It really depends on the situation.If it's a white walled corridor/small room, then i'd use a stofen omnibounce @ approx 30-45deg

If it's a small room with a wall behind me, i'd use stofen omnibounce straight up or pointing 45deg backwards

If it's a medium ceiling @ regular distances, i'd use a bounce card at 45-0 degrees

If it's a closeup with a bouncable ceiling, i'd use the in-built bounce card of the flash varying the length to modify the amount of flash

If I need to create a mood, i'd use the side walls to bounce

If it's a stage with nowhere else to bounce, I'd use an umbrella (If you have the luxury & space to do the setup) or I'd use a modified bounce card with angled top to direct more light towards the front
    Last edited by willyfoo; 23rd August 2005 at 01:52 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast