Thread: Any tips on Travel Photography?

Arrow Any tips on Travel Photography?

Will be going on a backpacking trip to Europe soon, anyone has any tips on what to look out for? Still debating whether to lug my tripod around, what do you guys think? Worth the effort?

I believe if you want nice panaromic pics, city night shots, nice waterfall pics, better bring a tripod. At least a small one. Or else, must find a stone or trashbin nearby.

bring a bean bag? hear its good for support when a tripod can't be used.

bring more film. heard that film's much cheaper here. (assumin gyou're a film user.) if you're digital, then bring more storage facilities(?)
    Last edited by jon33; 16th November 2002 at 11:40 AM.

Will one of those small mini-tripods be a good substitute?

Originally posted by velocity
    Will one of those small mini-tripods be a good substitute?
    Well, my 2cents :

- I would try to bring a decent light tripod; you could bring your camera and try out the Slik tripod mentioned in the consumers corner forum. At less than 1kg, looks like a good travelling tripod. If yours is a heavy SLR setup, than its your call on whether to bring a heavier tripod; an alternative would be a monopod

- If your plans include alot of walking & hiking, bring a monopod instead; it acts as a walking/hiking stick too

- If u really want a mini/tabletop tripod, then try the Ultrapod II. Can tie to railings/branches, and if you find a suitable stick, can make into a makeshift monopod. (Again, not really suitable for heavy SLRs)

- For travel/backpacking etc, its always a challenge to find a compromise of weight and equipment. However, becareful not to sacrifice certain essentials in favour of more photographic equipment, eg. warm clothes when travelling in cold regions, medication etc. Ultimately, your health is more important!

- Finally, my best advise for travel / travel photography is : Enjoy!

..NuTs..

Thanx for the tips! Sorry forgot to mention that its for a normal digital camera, so nothing too heavy. Any idea how much is the Ultrapod II?

Originally posted by nuts

Well, my 2cents :

- I would try to bring a decent light tripod; you could bring your camera and try out the Slik tripod mentioned in the consumers corner forum. At less than 1kg, looks like a good travelling tripod. If yours is a heavy SLR setup, than its your call on whether to bring a heavier tripod; an alternative would be a monopod

- If your plans include alot of walking & hiking, bring a monopod instead; it acts as a walking/hiking stick too

- If u really want a mini/tabletop tripod, then try the Ultrapod II. Can tie to railings/branches, and if you find a suitable stick, can make into a makeshift monopod. (Again, not really suitable for heavy SLRs)

- For travel/backpacking etc, its always a challenge to find a compromise of weight and equipment. However, becareful not to sacrifice certain essentials in favour of more photographic equipment, eg. warm clothes when travelling in cold regions, medication etc. Ultimately, your health is more important!

- Finally, my best advise for travel / travel photography is : Enjoy!

..NuTs..

Think I bought it for $28 or $32 at Cathay Photo a year or two ago...

..NuTs..

Originally posted by velocity
    Thanx for the tips! Sorry forgot to mention that its for a normal digital camera, so nothing too heavy. Any idea how much is the Ultrapod II?

Up. Any other tips from anyone?