Thread: MD player

Talking MD player

Does anyone here knows where I'm able to find cheap and good MD players.

Which brand and model is good?

My budget is $300.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Sony is clearing their MZR909 at RRP of $399, you should be able to get it around $350. It's worth the price. This recorder unit was the top of the line model before the NetMD came along. One advice though, ditch the earphones that comes with it and get an Aiwa 161 for $15, it sounds almost as good as a $80 Sony 888. If you don't mind the real-time recording, you'll be in mp3 heaven

andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew
    Sony is clearing their MZR909 at RRP of $399, you should be able to get it around $350. It's worth the price. This recorder unit was the top of the line model before the NetMD came along. One advice though, ditch the earphones that comes with it and get an Aiwa 161 for $15, it sounds almost as good as a $80 Sony 888. If you don't mind the real-time recording, you'll be in mp3 heaven

andrew
    Thanks for the info

Where abt can I get this price?

Sim Lim??? any idea which shop?

Thanks

andrew
    The 909 was quite good, as from what I read on the net, it has a high quality ATRAC Type R DSP or something like that - similar to the ones used on those MD decks.

The Aiwa 161 sounds almost like a Sony 888??
    OMG!!!!!

Originally posted by SNAG

OMG!!!!!
    yeah, maybe the shopkeeper mixed up the two while packing

anyway it's not quite the 888 but for the kind of price it's really value for money. one of the good design points about it is the rubber seal that fits into the ear snugly, helping to seal out more of outside noise.

i got mine from a guy i knew working at dynasty audio in SLS though i generally wouldn't recommend you get any audio stuff from SLS coz they sales folks have a tendency to cut customers' throat if they see the chance. try paris store at holland v, staff not v attentive but prices are ok. avoid people's park like the plague! if you're around bras basah/serangoon area, can try Lee Meng, kinda hard to tell you how to get there but they're along this stretch of road with lots of lighting shops.

andrew

andrew

Unhappy

If you are really not mentally prepared for the "real-time" recording, it can really be an annoyance in the long run.

It will be good if you have a Sony discman or CD player with optical output for you to record songs into your MD. The optical signal allows "track breaks" between CD tracks to be marked in the recorded MD.

Blog Entries

OMG!!!!!
    Not sure if many ppl know this, but Aiwa is actually a subsidiary of Sony.

Actually, I think the buyover happened some time back, but Aiwa continued to operate on its own, but recently, their operations have been merged.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Pr...0209/02-0927E/

Red face

yeah, maybe the shopkeeper mixed up the two while packing

anyway it's not quite the 888 but for the kind of price it's really value for money. one of the good design points about it is the rubber seal that fits into the ear snugly, helping to seal out more of outside noise.

i got mine from a guy i knew working at dynasty audio in SLS though i generally wouldn't recommend you get any audio stuff from SLS coz they sales folks have a tendency to cut customers' throat if they see the chance. try paris store at holland v, staff not v attentive but prices are ok. avoid people's park like the plague! if you're around bras basah/serangoon area, can try Lee Meng, kinda hard to tell you how to get there but they're along this stretch of road with lots of lighting shops.

andrew

andrew
    Thanks alot.

I think I'll drop by Parisilk at holland v later this evening

Hopefully Kevin will give me a good price on the Sony MZR909

So this is by far good and value for $$$ MD player right.

Cheers,

OMG!!!!!
    sure or not!! a $15 earphone can beat my $80 one?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Red face

Anyone here has a NetMD?

What's the Pros & Cons of a NetMD player?

MP3 player vs MD player ---- which is better???

Is the Sony 888 earphone really good? I find in-ear buds earphone much clearer, like the Sony 70SL.

NetMD recorder has all the pros and cons of a normal MD recorder, plus the ability to record via USB. The additional speed might not be significant, depending on your workflow or habits. NetMD audio is stored as ATRAC on the PC. If you're only keen in getting your music by downloading MP3 files, they have to be converted to ATRAC3 by the Sony program before downloading.

I do not manage my music using MP3. Instead, the source of my recordings are via CD direct. I don't do much mixing or combination, so the direct recording is about 10mins or so. NetMD is an advantage for me.

Compared to MP3 players, the MD plays much longer on one charge, about 40hours or more. The number of songs is limited by MD discs, not memory in the player. The cons of MD is high initial investment and slow recording (non NetMD). If you think about it, did it take you a lot of time to download or encode MP3s?

Originally posted by alyee

It will be good if you have a Sony discman or CD player with optical output for you to record songs into your MD. The optical signal allows "track breaks" between CD tracks to be marked in the recorded MD.
    Yeah, initially it was a pain not being able to mark the tracks automatically. but there's a freeware floating somewhere on the web where it introduces a 2 to 4 second pause in between songs for the winamp player, the MD recorder interprets this 2 to 4 second pause as the "mark" between tracks. One thing though, when using this freeware, be sure to mute the analog output (most often the headphone output) on older soundblaster cards like the SB Live, apparently the analog output has a certain level of "noise" that gets introduced into the optical TOSlink, so the MD player won't be able to "hear" the 2 second pause and thinks that there's still music coming out from the optical TOSlink. Don't know why it happens but it does and eventually managed to solve the problem after 2 nights of tearing my hair out If you get this problem, just mute the analog output (usually the headphone out).

andrew

Originally posted by Wai

sure or not!! a $15 earphone can beat my $80 one?
    I'm sure the technically the 888 is better. I must qualify my statement by saying that I tested both (888 courtesy of a friend) earphones in a fastfood restuarant. In fact tested three earphones, the 888, the 161 and the one that came with the MD. Given that the environment outside is not exactly condusive for testing. However the phones that came with the MD did really sucked big time compared to both the 888 and the 161. Sound was very tinny and almost no bass even with megabass turned to max.

The reason why I think the 161 is value for money is because I listen to the MD while commuting, so any advantage that the 888 has over the 161 gets cancelled out by the screaming kids and chatty aunties on the trains

If the MD is used in the home setting then the 888 will kill the 161 I think.

andrew

for a general idea of market prices, check this out.

i got my sharp md-mt20 for 270++ a while back. its got no netMD functions, but the sounds good. and they give u decent earphones too ( the type u clip over yr ear) highyly recommended. use it to tape lectures, good recording functions

Red face

Yippeee!!! I got my Sony MZ-R909 (blue) from SLS for $360 net plus 5 74mins MD free.

Thanks guys.

When I was there I saw it was retailing at $399 w/o GST

Me got it for $360 inclusive of GST.

Me beri HAPPY now!

Thanks everyone.

Time for me to play with it now.

YIPPEEE!!!

P.S the earphones in the package sucks big time. very old fashion type