Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Lens Hood

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    628

    Default Lens Hood

    When to use , when is it redundant?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    usually its useless, use it when u see flairing

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Outdoors when shooting in bright sunlight... but you can always improvise. Shoot from a shady area instead of under the sun whenever possible.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    i almost never bring out my hood, i use my hand instead

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    I keep my hood on all the time, so to prevent any accidents to the front element or any itchy fingers from straying there.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    http://esmondng.com
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    i also nv use before.

    joke of the week::
    there was this once i had a black shadow in some pics....i was wondering wat the hell....then i realized its my hair casting shadow hahaha......last time hair quite long keke.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    I keep my hood on all the time, so to prevent any accidents to the front element or any itchy fingers from straying there.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    guess i'll save up this $50+ then..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Keeping the lens hood on should be a good practice. 1stly it can help to prevent flare, especially if there is any bright light source you may not notice that is causing some flare when you are too engrossed in shooting. 2ndly, it will help to minimise damage to your lens front element should you accidentally drop your camera or knock against something. Using your hands to shield the sun while holding the camera with the other hand might cause more shake, unless your hand is rock steady. Also I find trying to shield the sun with one hand will cause you to lose concentration on your subject.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by niki
    guess i'll save up this $50+ then..
    for a hood?

    i almost always use a monopod. using my hand is more effective in completely blocking the sun coz the hood's kinda fixed so it dosnt work everytime.

    i find the hood inconvinent and takes up too much space in my bag. on occasions i bring out all my gear i'll bring a hood along since my wide/mid/tele all use 77mm
    Last edited by roti_prata; 22nd January 2006 at 07:52 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Here's a good article on this topic: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...ens-Hoods.aspx

    I always use the hood, saved lens from careless fingers countless times.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    its mainly used to show off. serious. the show off effect will be more significant if u paste stickers on it

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    usually its useless, use it when u see flairing
    Wahahaha... useless... I'm very amused...

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    its mainly used to show off. serious. the show off effect will be more significant if u paste stickers on it
    oic.
    so lots of photographers here r show offs here.

    OT, how come i saw u using a lens hood the other time ah?

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by markccm
    oic.
    so lots of photographers here r show offs here.

    OT, how come i saw u using a lens hood the other time ah?
    It's meant to put on your head and say you are KING... len hood is useless and show off one ma...

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by niki
    guess i'll save up this $50+ then..
    $50 is definitely a ripoff. The "C" brand is known for milking its customers this way, not sure about the "N" brand. Most third party lenses come with hoods, and some lenses (in particular mid-range tele lenses), even in the low-cost segment, used to have slideable hoods built-in.

    If you have a lens whose front element is already deeply recessed, an additional lens hood won't gain that much. Also, fixed hoods for zoom lenses are problematic - unless the lens uses additional mechanics to adjust the hood, they may cause vignetting at the wide end or may be not very effective at the tele end.

    If you have the choice of spending $50 for a lens hood or a "UV filter for protection", there's little doubt that the hood is by far the better investment for image quality.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    yea..i 'invested' in a $15 lens protector instead..haha

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    $50 is definitely a ripoff. The "C" brand is known for milking its customers this way, not sure about the "N" brand. Most third party lenses come with hoods, and some lenses (in particular mid-range tele lenses), even in the low-cost segment, used to have slideable hoods built-in.

    If you have a lens whose front element is already deeply recessed, an additional lens hood won't gain that much. Also, fixed hoods for zoom lenses are problematic - unless the lens uses additional mechanics to adjust the hood, they may cause vignetting at the wide end or may be not very effective at the tele end.

    If you have the choice of spending $50 for a lens hood or a "UV filter for protection", there's little doubt that the hood is by far the better investment for image quality.
    yeah...stingy Canon always make you buy everything seperately....expensive....

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    its mainly used to show off. serious. the show off effect will be more significant if u paste stickers on it
    ttz wad i do, i pasted reflectors!

    so if got vehicles, can c me w/ their lamps if coming from sideways. kiasi eh...

    haven't tot if they come from behind...

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Asylum, Ward 4444
    Posts
    2,095

    Default Re: Lens Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz
    ttz wad i do, i pasted reflectors!

    so if got vehicles, can c me w/ their lamps if coming from sideways. kiasi eh...

    haven't tot if they come from behind...
    user111 is saying u Hao Lian wor.
    coz u paste stickers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •