Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing but still sharp so that can upload

Default Resizing but still sharp so that can upload

anyone and tell me how to resize a pix but not lowering the sharpness of it pix? tks a million and happy cny to all

Default Re: Resizing but still sharp so that can upload

if you're using photoshop, you can sharpen using Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask

this should be the last step in your processing.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    if you're using photoshop, you can sharpen using Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask

this should be the last step in your processing.
    tis is for wat??? i am new to everything. tks for the info

wot if do not have photoshop?...

Quote Originally Posted by seanlim
    wot if do not have photoshop?...
    do a search.

resized pics usually look sharp unless your pic is really very soft or OOF
    eat. drink. shoot

no lei...i got some pretty sharp pix ready to post in CS but after resizing to abt 80-100kb..they look really blur and small..

Blog Entries

search for more info on jpeg compression

no lei...i got some pretty sharp pix ready to post in CS but after resizing to abt 80-100kb..they look really blur and small..
    that is due to compression i think
    eat. drink. shoot

show us how you do that.

The best way is to do sharpening as the last step, preferably after resizing.
    Depending on your print size, the sharpening settings differ.
    If u wanna post pics on net, try to resize to ard 600px, do USM (settings: 100,1,5), save JPG quality 85%.

er..i got Microsoft Office Picture Manager ..how to USM?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    The best way is to do sharpening as the last step, preferably after resizing.
    Depending on your print size, the sharpening settings differ.
    If u wanna post pics on net, try to resize to ard 600px, do USM (settings: 100,1,5), save JPG quality 85%.

my opinions differ.. I'm assuming your resizing means making the image smaller (not enlarging).

IMO it is best to to any processing with a hi-res image, and leave any down sizing to the last step. When you downsize an image, you are working on an image with less information, naturally with less info, less details are retained. In the same way that is why people work on RAW files for adjustments.

This said, things are different if you enlarge an image, i usually increase the the image size, then the do the processing/adjustments.

In Photoshop CS... resize with the option "Bicubic Sharper" on.. it has the effect or resizing and USMing at the same time..

Quote Originally Posted by mudsoap
    my opinions differ.. I'm assuming your resizing means making the image smaller (not enlarging).

IMO it is best to to any processing with a hi-res image, and leave any down sizing to the last step. When you downsize an image, you are working on an image with less information, naturally with less info, less details are retained. In the same way that is why people work on RAW files for adjustments.

This said, things are different if you enlarge an image, i usually increase the the image size, then the do the processing/adjustments.
    First I want to declare that I've not done any vigorous comparison between sharpening before resize and after resize but here's my take.

As you've said, I don't think there is any disagreement that we should try to retain as much details as possible before doing resizing because resizing throws away some data in the picture. So almost all other processing should be done before resize.

As for sharpening, I read that :

1) If you sharpen before your resize, the sharpness may not be at the level you want for that image size and printing medium (including screen display etc.) (I read that different printing gives different picture effects and sharpness may appear different on different medium).

2) according to photoshop help, it's suggested that sharpening be done in small amount for a few times than in large amount once. I suppose this is to retain as much the orginal picture as possible with each small sharpening and then gradually get all the necessary sharpening done.

Sharpening and resizing both cause some changes of data. So the question is which one is more severe. I don't have the answer and dare not venture into making a guess or I'll be branded as "pretending to know all".

If I recall correctly, photoshop help recommends that sharpening be done as the last step mainly because of (1) above.

If you need a few different sizes and also printing on a few different mediums, the sharpening required will be all different. If you've sharpened before resize, then you may end up with a sharpening which doesn't fit all the sizes and mediums. If you've done all the other processing but before resize and sharpening, then you can save the processed image and then use it to resize to different sizes and sharpen each accordingly to each size and printing medium. It's more convenient and better this way and that's why it is recommended that sharpening be done last.

A compromise approach would be to do small sharpening before resize and then fine-tune the sharpening with a few more small amounts after resize, according to the image size and printing medium.

I don't think there is one correct answer and am of the opinion that it depends on the situation.

The above is just my personal opinion and the information may not be 100% correct.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 24th January 2006 at 12:36 AM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by mudsoap

Clockunder is right, sharpening varies for different image sizes/prints etc. Sharpening should be ideally left to the last step.

You're right in saying there's some loss in sharpness when you down size images. The only solution is to sharpen AFTER resizing, as the last step before saving, as everyone has mentioned.

Its a univerally accepted procedure that's documented in almost every photographic book, cos it works.

No PS how? Dunno. I can't imagine working without my PS!

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    You're right in saying there's some loss in sharpness when you down size images. The only solution is to sharpen AFTER resizing, as the last step before saving, as everyone has mentioned.

Its a univerally accepted procedure that's documented in almost every photographic book, cos it works.

No PS how? Dunno. I can't imagine working without my PS!
    Depends on what you need.. resizing and sharpening are definitely the last 2 steps.. most will want to sharpen at the last step to ensure best sharpening..

But I use sharpening as my 2nd last step and resizing as my last.. this is because I want to use the anti-aliasing effect (smoothens 1 pixel width) of the resizing to smoothen out the effects of sharpening. It also makes the JPG slightly smaller and thus load faster on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by willyfoo
    Depends on what you need.. resizing and sharpening are definitely the last 2 steps.. most will want to sharpen at the last step to ensure best sharpening..

But I use sharpening as my 2nd last step and resizing as my last.. this is because I want to use the anti-aliasing effect (smoothens 1 pixel width) of the resizing to smoothen out the effects of sharpening. It also makes the JPG slightly smaller and thus load faster on the web.
    Thanks for the tip... will try it out next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast