Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Apprentice

  1. #1

    Default Apprentice

    hey! im 21 this year and currently in the national service. im really into photography and am thinking of going into this line after serving my time...=) however im lacking knowledge and im hoping to talk to someone who can guide me. even better still, it will be great if i can be an apprentice to someone to learn more. hope to hear from anyone soon!

    have a great year ahead..=)

  2. #2

    Default Re: apprentice

    im in a similar situation as u! hehe
    in NS but 23 this year ::grumble:: but got interested in photography recently
    u wanna be a photographer next time?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: apprentice

    what is fun as a hobby is not fun as a ricebowl
    it does not pay well except for the top level of photogs
    see if you can try out other occupations
    as a job it can be tough and stressful

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: apprentice

    you must have

    1) passion
    2) passion
    3) passion


    the rest can be developed later.

    hmm, i have a group going on for photographers' assistants / industry-related counterparts (though not very active). it's listed in my signature below. feel free to chitchat there!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East End
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: apprentice

    I kinda disagree with ricohflex about the not pay well part. I personally think it pays quite well. If you think you've got the standard, kah kah charge what you think you deserve.
    I'm more of a studio photographer and my forte is in products and fashion - primarily for advertisements in magazines and catalogues. I have been charging $1,800 for 3 hours' shoot. This includes the studio, all necessary equipment, film and processing.
    Those who know their stuff will pay if you can produce what they need. There are of course many cheapos out there who will say $500 is way too much. When you meet people like them, wave them off as they're not worth the time and effort.
    Recently a contractor asked me to shoot (in digital) a bungalow they recently built. Never having done this before I thought, just go there and cover the property in some nice angles; show some detail to highlight their workmanship, maybe include a few night shots to show the glamour under lighting; hmm...... $1,000. And they said it was reasonable. Imagine going to a place, snap a few shots, load them onto CD and get paid $1,000. Little? You be the judge.

    Now to the issue about your interest in photography. No one's gonna make you an apprentice if you know nothing.
    Interested? Go for a basic photo course. Read lots of magazines. They are the best source of info on tactics, equipment, trends, and the 'what's hot'. Go to the book stores, flip thru the many titles available and see what suits you best. You'll be amazed at what you can learn.
    Once you have the basics the bros here can shed light on whatever else baffles you.
    Last edited by Heartshape; 22nd January 2006 at 03:08 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: apprentice

    i agree with Heartshape on the following points


    1) if you know where you stand among the competition, place yourself in the right market, you can call the shots when it comes to pricing yourself.

    don't worry about the money part .. there is definitely money to be made...just a matter of how much. most important thing now is to gain lots of experience and knowledge. above all, passion is the one thing that will keep you going when all chips are down.


    2) research and basic knowledge is important, to say the least. know what you are getting into. do you like photography as something you can do day in day out as a 'career' .. or do you see it as something just to pass time? like ricohflex mentioned, it can be a (very) tough, demanding and stressful job. again, this is a question of real 'passion'. are you willing to go through sacrifices for 'photography' ?

    feel free to pm me or anything .. im willing to share my (limited) experience in this line. i am currently working my way through as an assistant photographer
    Last edited by Stereobox; 22nd January 2006 at 03:25 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    what is fun as a hobby is not fun as a ricebowl
    it does not pay well except for the top level of photogs
    see if you can try out other occupations
    as a job it can be tough and stressful


    yeah i understand man..but it really isnt about the $$$, otherwise id have studied all the econs and finance bullshit..

    i got interested in photography like in sec school..got inspired by some really great photographers recently, like Sam Abell from the national geographic. oh, btw im really into black and white photography too!

  8. #8

    Default Re: apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by Stereobox
    i agree with Heartshape on the following points


    1) if you know where you stand among the competition, place yourself in the right market, you can call the shots when it comes to pricing yourself.

    don't worry about the money part .. there is definitely money to be made...just a matter of how much. most important thing now is to gain lots of experience and knowledge. above all, passion is the one thing that will keep you going when all chips are down.


    2) research and basic knowledge is important, to say the least. know what you are getting into. do you like photography as something you can do day in day out as a 'career' .. or do you see it as something just to pass time? like ricohflex mentioned, it can be a (very) tough, demanding and stressful job. again, this is a question of real 'passion'. are you willing to go through sacrifices for 'photography' ?

    feel free to pm me or anything .. im willing to share my (limited) experience in this line. i am currently working my way through as an assistant photographer


    haha i may be still unclear what i want in the future..but i just hope that ill be able to follow someone to take a look during a photoshoot or something...all i want is to experience what does on during the photoshoot..

    ill stand aside and be very quiet i promise!!

  9. #9

    Default Re: apprentice

    have u started shooting??
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Currently, Singapore but hope
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: apprentice

    Been a pro for many years. Yes it does pay in some sense, when the job comes. But unless you have jobs lining up, the $1000 may have to last for 1 month or or more. I have since stopped freelancing, and join a production house where I am also doubling up as a videographer. Now at least the money is more constant and have a chance to learn more as well as to meet big clients and do bigger productions.

    Competion is steep in Singapore, but unless you have company backing, oversea jobs are also hard to come by. But at least the business end is covered by my senior director and I just enjoy my shooting. That's what I call getting paid for my passion.

  11. #11

    Default Re: apprentice

    hmmm not to sound like a wet blanket here but...

    apart from passion, u gotta have talent too i suppose...and networking also plays a very big part in this line.....

    furthermore...which aspect of photog are u into..wat if u assist a fashion photog for 5 years and then discover that ya actually like shooting nature or sth.....

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Cocteau Twins
    Posts
    2,116

    Default Re: apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    hmmm not to sound like a wet blanket here but...

    apart from passion, u gotta have talent too i suppose...and networking also plays a very big part in this line.....

    furthermore...which aspect of photog are u into..wat if u assist a fashion photog for 5 years and then discover that ya actually like shooting nature or sth.....
    exactly.

    i concur with you, just as any sensible aspiring photographer will, passion can only carry one that far...many other 'components' like talent, skills, experience, knowledge, networking have to come into play as well.

    but to me, passion is THE most important stepping stone when considering making the jump from 'hobbyist'. stuff like technical knowledge, skill, experience can be developed along the way.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    I have been charging $1,800 for 3 hours' shoot.
    Wow! That is good money to be made in 3 hours these days. If Hanchew and Willy see this figure wonder would they regret moving into TVC?

    Obviously Dogwood is at his crossroad looking for an avenue for his career after NS. Don 't get carried away by this figure because not many can fletch that these days. Not that it's impossible, heartshape and many has been there and done that with a lot of hard work behind the closed door. I've seen photographer friends survive with barely a thousand dollars a month and of course I've also work with someone who charges US$10,000 a day shoot.
    An apprentice properly get paid $800-$1200, correct me if I'm wrong. Some even stay on as full-time freelance assistant to photographers charges anything from $270-$450 a day. These assistants are really PROs and enjoy their work. Sometimes they are really so good that they could light up a set without instructions and with the camera mounted waiting for the photographer to click that damn shutter. What I'm trying to say here is one does not need to be a photographer to be in the industry, there are always other avenues in this industry to explore. Some turned into Gaffer or Grip and never turn back but many were like you, joined a good studio after NS thought they would be a photographer one day but.......the door closed on them somehow.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East End
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by LucidaM
    Wow! That is good money to be made in 3 hours these days. If Hanchew and Willy see this figure wonder would they regret moving into TVC?

    Obviously Dogwood is at his crossroad looking for an avenue for his career after NS. Don 't get carried away by this figure because not many can fletch that these days. Not that it's impossible, heartshape and many has been there and done that with a lot of hard work behind the closed door. I've seen photographer friends survive with barely a thousand dollars a month and of course I've also work with someone who charges US$10,000 a day shoot.
    An apprentice properly get paid $800-$1200, correct me if I'm wrong. Some even stay on as full-time freelance assistant to photographers charges anything from $270-$450 a day. These assistants are really PROs and enjoy their work. Sometimes they are really so good that they could light up a set without instructions and with the camera mounted waiting for the photographer to click that damn shutter. What I'm trying to say here is one does not need to be a photographer to be in the industry, there are always other avenues in this industry to explore. Some turned into Gaffer or Grip and never turn back but many were like you, joined a good studio after NS thought they would be a photographer one day but.......the door closed on them somehow.
    Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!
    Photography assistants. This is both a big word and a small one. Some assistants are just there to watch and learn and maybe do some petty chores. But the real assistant does exactly what you say. They have worked with a particular photog for a while and know their style and wants. So when something is to be shot, the assistant knows exactly what goes where, sets it all up, and the photog just goes, makes a few finer adjustments and shoots. These assistants get paid in the thousands, not just tens ot hundreds. They are the right hand man of the main man. And they are so good, some of the smaller budget shoots are left entirely to them, without the photog even being present.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!
    Photography assistants. This is both a big word and a small one. Some assistants are just there to watch and learn and maybe do some petty chores. But the real assistant does exactly what you say. They have worked with a particular photog for a while and know their style and wants. So when something is to be shot, the assistant knows exactly what goes where, sets it all up, and the photog just goes, makes a few finer adjustments and shoots. These assistants get paid in the thousands, not just tens ot hundreds. They are the right hand man of the main man. And they are so good, some of the smaller budget shoots are left entirely to them, without the photog even being present.
    Haha just like golf caddies. Some actually give you good advice on how to approach/take a shot, recommend clubs etc ... others are just there to carry your bags.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Apprentice

    lol, thats a funny example
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    99

    Default Re: Apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartshape
    Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!
    Photography assistants. This is both a big word and a small one. Some assistants are just there to watch and learn and maybe do some petty chores. But the real assistant does exactly what you say. They have worked with a particular photog for a while and know their style and wants. So when something is to be shot, the assistant knows exactly what goes where, sets it all up, and the photog just goes, makes a few finer adjustments and shoots. These assistants get paid in the thousands, not just tens ot hundreds. They are the right hand man of the main man. And they are so good, some of the smaller budget shoots are left entirely to them, without the photog even being present.
    Because we are in the same field and see enough to understand this industry. I believe many here are talking about events and wedding here.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East End
    Posts
    121

    Default Re: Apprentice

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Haha just like golf caddies. Some actually give you good advice on how to approach/take a shot, recommend clubs etc ... others are just there to carry your bags.
    Ha ha ha!!! Another prime example. The difference between a trained, experienced one and a greenhorn.
    Last edited by Heartshape; 6th February 2006 at 11:26 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •