Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

  1. #1

    Default COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    I have a question. I have a series of unique images. in which a bridal studio lifted the images off my laptop without my knowledge.
    the studio used the 2 images for their wedding album and 1 for their NAMECARDS!!!

    the images are not even bridal stuff.

    I have talked to the bridal shop in which they said i have no proof that it's mine (which they later admit that it is really my images)

    they told me that they will consult their lawyers to see if my threat is justifiable.

    This set of images have been publish before in magazines. but have not sent to US for copyrights patent.

    now they tell me that they have no intentions of taking off my images from their album and the namecards.

    anything i should know of before i talk to my lawyer in monday morning?

    i wont say the name of the bridal studio or anything.

    any idea what's it gonna cost them?

  2. #2
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, bridal studio stole my images.

    call up IPOS, see what they can do. singapore is part of the berne convention, which protects the original author of artistic works.

  3. #3

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, bridal studio stole my images.

    ANKA: That is terrible. A couple of things to think about:
    Is there anything in these images that can be linked to you? Objects, furniture, people etc?
    Can you get hold of copies of their album, namecards etc?

    I think the 1st point is very important. If the answer is yes, then you might have a pretty good case. For 2nd question, this help to provide proof as well as to estimate damages. Because the images were published, it may also serve as a date stamp in your favour.

    With regards to protecting & proving copyright, one little trick I learned from my lawyers which is very affordable is as follows(of course this is too late to help in this case):
    Cut your images to a non-rewritable DVD. Then pay $20 for a Public Commissioner of Oaths to sign and witness. This gives your material a date stamp recognised in court. Then the infringing party will have to prove they got it earlier if they claim it is their.
    Last edited by KCLow; 21st January 2006 at 01:46 AM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HoUgaNg (Any stalker? lol)
    Posts
    1,415

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, bridal studio stole my images.

    wish the best for anka.

    you can visit IPOS at Bras Basah. I think copyright is a right that's already there when you make an artwork.

  5. #5

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT, bridal studio stole my images.

    Copyrights for artistic work is automatic and do not need patenting from IPOS. However it is recommended for US and Canada as a form of pre-empting the patenting offices there in case of disputes to similar images.

    You need to get ready your original images and the material in which your pictures have infringed on. Try to recall how your image was removed w/o your consent when talking to your lawyer, probability of hacking may be present.

    Finally, try to keep less talk on a public forum.

  6. #6
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    yes,anything that may help would better be in PM.


  7. #7

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    would love to talk less but i am seeking advice. the images have image comment on them. that states my website name, which is my name.

    but i still need to be a little spoon fed on how to proceed from here.

    as for how my images was lifted off. i just showed my portfolio. but archived it on CD. but left the CD in the studio. and they conviently lifted it off my CD.
    Last edited by anka; 21st January 2006 at 01:57 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    I have a question. I have a series of unique images. in which a bridal studio lifted the images off my laptop without my knowledge.
    the studio used the 2 images for their wedding album and 1 for their NAMECARDS!!!

    the images are not even bridal stuff.

    I have talked to the bridal shop in which they said i have no proof that it's mine (which they later admit that it is really my images)

    they told me that they will consult their lawyers to see if my threat is justifiable.

    This set of images have been publish before in magazines. but have not sent to US for copyrights patent.

    now they tell me that they have no intentions of taking off my images from their album and the namecards.

    anything i should know of before i talk to my lawyer in monday morning?

    i wont say the name of the bridal studio or anything.

    any idea what's it gonna cost them?
    Do you still have the raw files with you?

  9. #9

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    original files are in JPG.

  10. #10

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by blurblock
    Do you still have the raw files with you?
    Good question!

    ANKA: If they only got a proccessed version of your images, then the raw file will be the best proof! Try to also log down all details of your conversation with them, as to contents, people present, date & time.

  11. #11

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    sigh. a pity i cant show the images the used. as this series is infamously known to be shot by me. by showing what image it is would expose the studio.

  12. #12

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    sigh. a pity i cant show the images the used. as this series is infamously known to be shot by me. by showing what image it is would expose the studio.
    No worries. In this case I believe you have a really good case. Now the more troublesome thing is to estimate damages caused to you.

  13. #13

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    sian 1/2.

    now it's getting worst.

    just found that they used it for their brochure and corp. identity/logo.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Land of the Teddy Bear
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    It's your photo and therefore a case is presentable. I'm know nuts about the law stuff but all the best man. =) get some sleep now. Your photo must be really nice.
    I Love You :)

  15. #15

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Speak to a lawyer. They are in a better position to advice you. Especially since you have a lot of things you can't say.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    sian 1/2.

    now it's getting worst.

    just found that they used it for their brochure and corp. identity/logo.
    nono don't sian!

    the more illegal reproductions they've made the more money you can sue off them. make them bleed.

  17. #17

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    nono don't sian!

    the more illegal reproductions they've made the more money you can sue off them. make them bleed.

    ya lah.. sian lah.. cause my name will be famous for bankrupting a bridal studio and not for my photography. then clients dare not ask me shoot.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by anka
    ya lah.. sian lah.. cause my name will be famous for bankrupting a bridal studio and not for my photography. then clients dare not ask me shoot.
    famous, maybe. if the clients are professional businessmen/women then they will treat you with respect, because you have shown you respect your work and will not be pushed around. the shady bridal operators will know to leave you alone.

    yes, copyright infringement is a pain, but the aftereffects are not really that bad as you make it to be.


    must be night time hungry...
    Last edited by foxtwo; 21st January 2006 at 02:55 AM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    famous, maybe. if the clients are professional businessmen/women then they will treat you with respect, because you have shown you respect your work and will not be pushed around. the shady bridal operators will know to leave you alone.

    yes, copyright infridgement is a pain, but the aftereffects are not really that bad as you make it to be.
    it's infringement.. not inFRIDGEMENT. haha. anyway. dunno lah.. just sad that they use my image cuz it's my trademark. i'm like famous for it.. now everyone see my image, they would prolly go.. chey.. see before. nothing new.

  20. #20

    Default Re: COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT: Bridal studio stole my images.

    what kinda images are these? anybody in them posing? if ther are, can't these people act as witnesses to the event, that you are the photographer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •