Thread: Printing from Neg scans from home... Results??

Default Printing from Neg scans from home... Results??

Hi,

Has anyone tried getting a 2400dpi negative or slide scan from one of those hybrid flatbeds and printed it 8" x 12" at home on a photo printer? If there is could you please provide me some feedback as well as the make and model of your scanner and printer. Thinking of investing in a "home digital studio"...

But would just like to have a heads up of the results before hand... Need to pick some components prior to the upcoming Comex exhibition so I can go straight down and grab some!!...

Thanks alot!!

Default Re: Printing from Neg scans from home... Results??

Originally posted by nivlekx
    Hi,

Has anyone tried getting a 2400dpi negative or slide scan from one of those hybrid flatbeds and printed it 8" x 12" at home on a photo printer? If there is could you please provide me some feedback as well as the make and model of your scanner and printer. Thinking of investing in a "home digital studio"...

But would just like to have a heads up of the results before hand... Need to pick some components prior to the upcoming Comex exhibition so I can go straight down and grab some!!...

Thanks alot!!
    Tried scanning, never tried printing. It already don't look good on screen, so it probably won't look good on print either.

Regards
    CK

most of the new printers can do good photos... it's the ink and paper that's more important.
    if budget then just look for the cheapest INK + printer..
    else can get the epson 2200, which has a matte black ink which is supposed to be nearer to 90+% real black, opposed to the muddy normal black..
    a point to note, inks fade faster than a subdye (basically wax) print.
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Default Re: Printing from Neg scans from home... Results??

Hi,

Thanks alot!!
    if u want a good home digital studio, definitely avoid the hybrid flatbeds u're coveting. they will not do a good job.

go instead for a dedicated film scanner.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

if u want a good home digital studio, definitely avoid the hybrid flatbeds u're coveting. they will not do a good job.
    Yeah, kinda realised that. But money is a big issue on my part, if I buy the Benq Scanwit 2740 then i will definitely not be able to afford a printer.

How does 2400, 2700 and 4000 dpi compare? This I am really unsure and many of the sales people havent been able to give me a convincing explaination yet. Of course 4000 and 2400 makes alot of difference (the prices too...), but what about 2400 and 2700??

What is the set back of a flatbed as compared to a dedicated?

hmmm sounds like me , except I already have the photo printer...
    how about the US wty-minolta from Nirvana? he says it's S$580 only. I worry only about the wty, otherwise hardware+UI wise minolta is imho better. same general features as the BanQ...
    or the 2720s without ICE at 580sgd too.
    again since money is an issue, no point lusting after 4000 dpi. The quality vs price is not linear.
    flatbeds being GP scanners offer minimal adjustability for scans.
    and the canon d2400uf is about the price of the 2720 too. I tried their showroom model but it sucked big time even with their "demo" neg..
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

If i aint wrong we can actually get the scanner the Nirvana is offering, at the same price if not lower, ourselves from www.adorama.com and to be truthful, that model is getting old and its successor Minolta Dual Scan III has already been realeased in the States. One more thing is that this scanner doesn't have ICE so I'd rather pay a lil more ICE. Do check it out, maybe I got the model wrong.

I saw the HP Scanjet 4570 demo yesterday. Doesnt look very good but I really attribute it to the sales person not knowing how to use the machine properly. Waiting for the upcoming Comex to get some more "professional" sales people to do a demo before I decide. But I must admit that the scans don't look as good as one from a dedicated. But for the price, I guess one can't complain either.

I think I am definitely going to go for a printer. As for the scanner, I think I will wait for some demo at the Comex. If it is not convincing then I will stick to letting the minilabs do the job.

Yeah, kinda realised that. But money is a big issue on my part, if I buy the Benq Scanwit 2740 then i will definitely not be able to afford a printer.

How does 2400, 2700 and 4000 dpi compare? This I am really unsure and many of the sales people havent been able to give me a convincing explaination yet. Of course 4000 and 2400 makes alot of difference (the prices too...), but what about 2400 and 2700??

What is the set back of a flatbed as compared to a dedicated?
    I tried a HP 5470c, one of the higher end Canons, the Epson 2450 and all did not perform well when doing 35mm scans, though Epson appears to be best of the lot.

So without a good scan, you can also forget about a good print. A 2900dpi scan can already give you a 10 x 15" print at least. If you don't need to print more than that, you don't really need 4000dpi. Bear in mind that a 4000dpi scan can take up to 130MB.

Flatbeds are good only for scanning documents and prints, not film. At least not 35mm film.

Regards
    CK

I saw the HP Scanjet 4570 demo yesterday. Doesnt look very good but I really attribute it to the sales person not knowing how to use the machine properly.
    How much is the HP 5470c selling now?

Originally posted by binbeto

How much is the HP 5470c selling now?
    Dunno about now, but my company bought it for $400 odd months ago.

Regards
    CK

DUN buy a flat bed scanner with those slides/35mm neg adapter... they are really crappy.. have one myself... **murdered myself** for spending for unworthy stuff like this HP scanjet 3570C

Get those dedicated one like the Canon slide scanner.(forgot model liao)

The review's is that the colour comes out funny, the film/ slide apter light not bright enough.. often a lot of touch up to be done in PS... not worth the time...

Binbeto,

I didn't see the HP 5470 around SLS and Funana yesterday. But the 4570 is around 425 I think. Some shop offered me a bundle price of the Scanjet 4570 and the Deskjet 5550 for 710.