Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a DIY PC

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    As someone mentioned, it's probably not worth your time wandering around Sim Lim Square trying to save a coupla bucks here and there, and spending hours trying to troubleshoot exactly which piece of hardware or software is giving you trouble when you put everything together.

Better to buy from Dell - they're pretty competitive considering the software they throw in - just upgrade your own memory, because their upgrades are ridiculously priced. One thing I have to say, Dell computers are rock-stable. My two Dells (one Win98SE, the other WinXP) have NEVER crashed.

The other option is a local assembler. I've had good experience with http://www.techzone.com.sg/website.htm. The two computers they sold me are still running great. Just check out the preconfigured systems. If you want to upgrade anything, he'll do it for you at local (Sim Lim) prices or better. Specify your system and he will give you a quotation. Includes free delivery (Dell now charges for delivery). To give you an idea, I just got a P4 1.8GHz 512MB 80GB 40X CDRW Geforce 420 (64MB) Soundblaster system for just over 1K, and that was about 3 months ago. Including Win98SE it cost me $1200.
    Just my two cents regarding Dell desktops... and I think these applies to all those other brands as well...

Dell PCs are not bad compared to the other brands, and Dell is relatively cheaper than the other brands as well. And they are rather upgrade friendly as well. I remember opening a Compaq desktop, only to find that all those parts were somewhat positioned differently, and you needed to go back to Compaq for upgrades.

But comparing Dell with a DIY PC is slightly different...
    To those who have the technical know-how and what not, it would be better to get a DIY, as you are getting more premium products for around the same/at a cheaper price, but you will have to get your own softwares.

I think the saying that Dell products work flawlessly with MS's OS might be true because of the customized drivers with MS as well. (not sure about this as well). Maybe Dell has those signed drivers that are tried and tested with Windows perhaps? But for me, both my DIY + Dell systems work flawlessly till now. But I think my Dell system is a tad more stable, but it has hanged on me for quite some times when I was tweaking it....

Another thing that's better in getting a Dell would be the technical support that you will get. Upgrade to 3 yrs CompleteCover. It's a small premium, but you will appreciate it (and especially for laptops).

Regarding tech support, they are not that good... I've had some problems in which the technician didn't sound that competent - probably they were going thru some scripted Q&As. They subcontract their support teams to a 3rd party provider, and they (the 3rd party provider) are rather speedy.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by SNAG; 16th November 2002 at 01:06 AM.

Originally posted by jeff chen

Kena con lar...must be...so can anyone recommend me an optimum set up without monitor for $1500, including Win 98SE OS, and software (original). The purpose of the PC is mainly used for internet, photediting and storage, plus normal operations like words, excel, powerpt dah dah...?
    Just my suggestions:
    Why not use Win XP?
    I think it's more stable.

For graphics, you might want to consider the Matrox G400 / G200
    Or if you want some 3D features as well, get the ATI Radeon....

Originally posted by SNAG

Just my suggestions:
    Why not use Win XP?
    I think it's more stable.

For graphics, you might want to consider the Matrox G400 / G200
    Or if you want some 3D features as well, get the ATI Radeon....
    These cards are difficult to find.

Originally posted by Zoomer

Novices will say wah! Leica (like the p4 whatsoever speed processor), 2.5x teleconvertor (nvidia GF4 MX 420 which is actually based on GF2, and have seriously s***ty performance), and then never notice the rest of the stuff that really suck. Like harddrives. At the price (1k?), you'll be getting a 5400rpm one. That's slow. Even worse, the hard drive is one of the largest bottlenecks in PC performance. A P3 1Ghz with a cheetah X15 will blow the socks off a P4 3gig on many apps. The feel will be, overall, more responsive and quicker.
    Well, actually the drive is a 7200 rpm ATA-133.... In any case, with 512 MB RAM, I doubt there would be much virtual memory swapping.

The motherboard was an Intel chipset. I swore off VIA motherboards after one particular upgrade I did myself. Could never get the USB to work, and the ATA-100 implementation was, let's just say, substandard. I suppose that's where the "AMD not good for broadband" myth arose, since most AMD motherboards run the VIA chipset.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Well, actually the drive is a 7200 rpm ATA-133.... In any case, with 512 MB RAM, I doubt there would be much virtual memory swapping.

The motherboard was an Intel chipset. I swore off VIA motherboards after one particular upgrade I did myself. Could never get the USB to work, and the ATA-100 implementation was, let's just say, substandard. I suppose that's where the "AMD not good for broadband" myth arose, since most AMD motherboards run the VIA chipset.
    One good thing (and this is if especially if you have a lot of RAM and on WinXP - coz it has better memory management) would be to fix your swap file size.

If you are running Win9X, the memory management is so darn lousy that its just like a bottomless pit sucking out all your ram and not putting them back into the memory pool. I strongly advise those running on 9X to download Cacheman (better mem. management) @ www.outertech.com

VIA motherboards had big big problems with their drviers. Not sure if this is the case right now.

These cards are difficult to find.
    Really?
    Then what are Matrox's offerings right now?
    the Parlihea or whatever you call that?
    That card costs a bomb!!

Really?
    Then what are Matrox's offerings right now?
    the Parlihea or whatever you call that?
    That card costs a bomb!!
    G550, bought it last year at aroung $200. Very Good for 2D. Quite a lot of oldie here use G series when we do a survey back in Feb/March this year. If you want ATI go for the the 9000 series. Quite a lot of HTS friend using that.

One good thing (and this is if especially if you have a lot of RAM and on WinXP - coz it has better memory management) would be to fix your swap file size.

If you are running Win9X, the memory management is so darn lousy that its just like a bottomless pit sucking out all your ram and not putting them back into the memory pool. I strongly advise those running on 9X to download Cacheman (better mem. management) @ www.outertech.com

VIA motherboards had big big problems with their drviers. Not sure if this is the case right now.
    You can find a lot of tweaks over at tweak3d. for optimising your pc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate the on-line tutorial on how to build a great PC!

As for my pref for Win 98SE, well, it has to do with the fact that it is more stable...? and the fact that I don't have to register lar...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciate the on-line tutorial on how to build a great PC!

As for my pref for Win 98SE, well, it has to do with the fact that it is more stable...? and the fact that I don't have to register lar...
    Nope, Win9X is way way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too buggy and crashy for a proper user to use.

At least if you don't want to use Win XP, use Win 2k instead.
    At least they are using the NT kernel, which is way more robust than the 9X core.

Originally posted by Goondu

You can find a lot of tweaks over at tweak3d. for optimising your pc.
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    Some of their articles are quite good!
    But seriously, hardcore tweaking is a rather scary thing to do.
    There was once I tweaked the services.msc part on Win XP by disabling some services (ie IR Monitor) on my desktop.

I think i accidentally disabled some services, and wah, the whole system screwed up. I couldn't reactivate some of them, and I had to reinstall all the way from scratch....

PS: Just for those hardcore tweakers with regards to tweaking your services.msc, look here:
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    Last edited by SNAG; 16th November 2002 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks everyone for your contribution. Got my set ordered already! U guys can continue to discuss on this issue.
    Still thinking if I shld go for Win 2000 as suggested by some. Hmmm....

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Some of their articles are quite good!
    But seriously, hardcore tweaking is a rather scary thing to do.
    There was once I tweaked the services.msc part on Win XP by disabling some services (ie IR Monitor) on my desktop.

I think i accidentally disabled some services, and wah, the whole system screwed up. I couldn't reactivate some of them, and I had to reinstall all the way from scratch....

PS: Just for those hardcore tweakers with regards to tweaking your services.msc, look here:
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    You call this hardcore?
    Well...nevermind.

Btw, so what did you choose in the end?

Wanna ask if jdbgmgr.exe found in c drive is a virus or a real degbugging tool installed by microsoft in our OS?

Anyone knows?

Just run it thru a virus scanner and you'll know.
    Btw: Don't believe chain mails.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Thanks guys. Is it possible for a virus to escape Norton and McAfee AV software?

You call this hardcore?
    Well...nevermind.

Btw, so what did you choose in the end?
    Lol... well, it's kinda hardcore for me already.

Erm, i reset everything back, only to disable some dumb stuff like Windows Update (i prefer to update this myself) and the portable media thingy...
    That's all!

Thanks guys. Is it possible for a virus to escape Norton and McAfee AV software?
    Yes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123