Thread: Studio Portraits

Default Studio Portraits

Hi, i need to do a few simple portraits and was hoping to recreate the effect one gets when there is a spotlight on the face, ie: subject is well lit with a dark background. Any ideas how one can do it? I have access to maybe a 300w light in addition to my 550ex. Softbox, umbrellas, honeycombs, snoots, the works should not be a problem. Initial thought was to use a snoot or a diffusion dome. But failing which i'm really open to ideas at the moment.

Default Re: Studio Portraits

barn doors & place the subject far away from the background.

Smile Re: Studio Portraits

how far should the barndoors be from the light source? and how far the barndoors from the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    barn doors & place the subject far away from the background.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    how far should the barndoors be from the light source? and how far the barndoors from the subject?
    the studio lights i've used have barndoor attachments that can be mounted on directly infront of the head.

barn doors sound like a plan. Not sure about subject placement though. Probably subject far from background i guess and lights either head on or at a 45deg from the photog.

how much of the subject is in frame? head, head & shoulders, waist, full? props? i nomally angle my lights 45deg top down, that's my basic simple setup lah.

Smile Re: Studio Portraits

could you clarify what you do mean by 'a spotlight on the face'? there are more than one interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by szekiat
    Hi, i need to do a few simple portraits and was hoping to recreate the effect one gets when there is a spotlight on the face, ie: subject is well lit with a dark background. Any ideas how one can do it? I have access to maybe a 300w light in addition to my 550ex. Softbox, umbrellas, honeycombs, snoots, the works should not be a problem. Initial thought was to use a snoot or a diffusion dome. But failing which i'm really open to ideas at the moment.

sorry guys......
    Ok, i need to do head and shoulders, max half body shots. The idea is to have the effect like on stage where you have distinct subject to background separation. In retrospect, using a dark background placed far away might just do it. Its hard to explain but its kinda like having a hot light in the face type. Simple stuff and i'd be able to do it a while back had i not been shooting birds/animals for the last 12mths and have almost forgotten all my studio stuff...

You should use a snoot, if this is the effect you are trying to achieve:

http://www.bron.ch/vt_pd_lg_sc_en/index.php