Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Advice needed...

  1. #1

    Smile Advice needed...

    Hi to all here...

    I am currently using a Canon S2 IS...the camera is reali great! no doubts abt it...but as time goes by, i kind of get sianz by basically two issues...

    firstly, it's not very compact...though i hv been making the point to bring it wherever i go, the size of it still discourages me to take it out to snap sm pics smtimes...mayb bcos scare i will "scare" ppl ard me wif it hangg it round my neck? erm...pls dun comment tt dslr users not paiseh why shd i be k, bcos i'm referring to normal times, where everybody normally juz take pics wif pocket-sized cameras ya where it comes to a delibrate photo-taking trip, of cos i wun shy my S2 away!!

    secondly, when it comes to serious photo-taking trips, for eg the Countdown Fireworks display or Xmas lightup along Orchard Rd, the S2 performs inferiorly as compared to dslr...there ll be considerable amt of noise when taken at high ISO like 200 or 400, though this can be improved by using a lesser ISO wif tripod lah...

    as a results, it seems like it's either i'm not using the S2 at its max capability (under-using it), or tt the S2 does not suit my needs...hence, i kind of feel like downgradg to a FujiFilm F11..been readg lots and lots of positive comments for the camera! though i ll lose the long zoom and IS functions, it's compact enuff for daily use and it's high ISO capability is reali handy for nite shots! upgrading to a dslr sounds great too, but mayb not timely as i'm still a student and i'm still much of a newbie yet too.. haiz...how how??

  2. #2

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Lol, if still no marnie in pocket..go buy film SLR first! Hehh...

    Well.. okay that's the problem with commercial digis, either too much..or too little... Well, if you still want to use it, why don't you try shooting stuff that would use the full capacity of the camera?

    Sometimes with photography, we tend to find limitations with the equipment, when it actually boils down to our own inhibition....

    Well, just keep on shooting and experimenting, and if you do want to go further in photography, get an SLR which will really bring u a step upwards to creativity and expression.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

  3. #3

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    SLR?? not my cup of tea leh bro...

  4. #4

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    I started out with a digital P&S and now decided to go for film SLR to try and get more creative without that much of a heavy price tag The point and shoot was a good way of making me learn composition and basic techniques first before i moved on to film.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  5. #5
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    I started out with a digital P&S and now decided to go for film SLR to try and get more creative without that much of a heavy price tag The point and shoot was a good way of making me learn composition and basic techniques first before i moved on to film.
    yep! and using a SLR will teach u the relationship bet ISO, shutter speed and aperature. mebbe its just me lah. but, with a film camera, it forces u to slow down b4 pressing dat shutter. after all, u only got 36 frames...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    after 36, reload lor, just bring more catridges the next time

  7. #7

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    yep! and using a SLR will teach u the relationship bet ISO, shutter speed and aperature. mebbe its just me lah. but, with a film camera, it forces u to slow down b4 pressing dat shutter. after all, u only got 36 frames...
    haha true i normally cary one roll spare just incase all the time though
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordwindsg
    firstly, it's not very compact...
    sorry, i just have to say, get over it. i carry my dslr everywhere, and it comes out for all kinds of shots. normal or abnormal. :~p

    secondly, when it comes to serious photo-taking trips, for eg the Countdown Fireworks display or Xmas lightup along Orchard Rd, the S2 performs inferiorly as compared to dslr...there ll be considerable amt of noise when taken at high ISO like 200 or 400, though this can be improved by using a lesser ISO wif tripod lah...
    if you wanna be serious, use a tripod lah. simple.

    if you wanna get an F11 instead, it's up to you. indeed a good cam, but it's strength is more in candid/street photography. i wouldn't use the F11 handheld for night shots - ?!?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordwindsg
    Hi to all here...

    I am currently using a Canon S2 IS...the camera is reali great! no doubts abt it...but as time goes by, i kind of get sianz by basically two issues...

    firstly, it's not very compact...though i hv been making the point to bring it wherever i go, the size of it still discourages me to take it out to snap sm pics smtimes...mayb bcos scare i will "scare" ppl ard me wif it hangg it round my neck? erm...pls dun comment tt dslr users not paiseh why shd i be k, bcos i'm referring to normal times, where everybody normally juz take pics wif pocket-sized cameras ya where it comes to a delibrate photo-taking trip, of cos i wun shy my S2 away!!

    secondly, when it comes to serious photo-taking trips, for eg the Countdown Fireworks display or Xmas lightup along Orchard Rd, the S2 performs inferiorly as compared to dslr...there ll be considerable amt of noise when taken at high ISO like 200 or 400, though this can be improved by using a lesser ISO wif tripod lah...

    as a results, it seems like it's either i'm not using the S2 at its max capability (under-using it), or tt the S2 does not suit my needs...hence, i kind of feel like downgradg to a FujiFilm F11..been readg lots and lots of positive comments for the camera! though i ll lose the long zoom and IS functions, it's compact enuff for daily use and it's high ISO capability is reali handy for nite shots! upgrading to a dslr sounds great too, but mayb not timely as i'm still a student and i'm still much of a newbie yet too.. haiz...how how??
    Err, why would you feel paiseh about carrying your S@ around? Just becasue others like to use extreme compact, which seems the rage for people who just want ot have a camera handy? If you do not think that you are carrying the S2 to show off, that should be enough, why bother with what other people think?

    As with any other camera and equipment, you have to got to learn the limitations of your systems you are using, and work within that. That way, you don't have to keep upgrading. Know your equipment and how it works to get that shot that you want... it can be done...

  10. #10

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Who is that female tennis star who advertised for Canon S2? I can't remember her name. BTW, she is definitely not peiseh or feeling inferior. Of course, she is paid big bucks too.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    wah...why is everybody's advice the same one??

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    well you don't have to listen to us.....

  13. #13

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    haha! true lah... well, my point is tt i'm more interested in taking candid shots for now, but one tt also allows me to play wif manual controls as well...and the F11 seems to be the perfect choice... i might be wrong too lah, but the high ISO is reali tempting! the S2 though obviously a much more powerful cam, does not perform tt well under low light...

    haiz...but now wif so many experienced experts here advising me the same thg...how can i take it lightly??

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordwindsg
    haha! true lah... well, my point is tt i'm more interested in taking candid shots for now, but one tt also allows me to play wif manual controls as well...and the F11 seems to be the perfect choice... i might be wrong too lah, but the high ISO is reali tempting! the S2 though obviously a much more powerful cam, does not perform tt well under low light...

    haiz...but now wif so many experienced experts here advising me the same thg...how can i take it lightly??
    Normally pple upgrade, not downgrade. I think you are just under effects of the current night-shooting-fireworks-fairylights-scene-period aka countdown fireworks/light decorations 'serious photoshoot' illness. Hence the desire for faster faster faster exposure. After this period is over, and normal candids come back, 1600 iso won't be that much a big deal. How many prosumer users actually shoot with 1600iso normally?

  15. #15

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    haiz..u might be rite bro..but frankly, i hate to take shot wif flash..so i guess the high ISO certainly will help when me taking indoor shots or even certain nite shots rite?? after all, when taking normal daily pics, how much more can a S2 aid me better than a F11 other than the long zoom?? which is only useful when comes sm bigshots' autograph sessions!? haha! pls kindly advise...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    From what the threadstarter has described, the Fuji F10/11 suits his needs more.

    Matching of equipment and needs should be more important than just having "better" equipment.

    In terms of dim light conditions where high ISO is necessary for faster shutter speed to freeze movement, the Fuji F10/11 outperforms prosumer cameras.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 19th January 2006 at 11:05 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    hmm...anyway, in my eyes the F11 also considered as a prosumer ma rite? it has manual controls too!

    anyway, can anybody tell me sm key factors which will suggest that i shd keep my S2, instead of the F11??

  18. #18

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    Quote Originally Posted by Swordwindsg
    hmm...anyway, in my eyes the F11 also considered as a prosumer ma rite? it has manual controls too!

    anyway, can anybody tell me sm key factors which will suggest that i shd keep my S2, instead of the F11??
    S2's much longer optical zoom when compared to Fuji F11.

    Against S2 : bulky and high noise level at higher ISO.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    i hope you take into account F11's min aperture at telephoto.

    F5.0 - F8

    S2's min aperture at telephoto is f3.5


    (kindly correct if wrong. thx)
    sources from: dpreview

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Advice needed...

    think in the end, you know your current and projected shooting needs best (i hope).

    if you know what you really wanna shoot, you will know which cam suits you. if you don't know, neither can we

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •