Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Lens

Default Portrait Lens

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a good portrait lens to be used on my 350D.

Kindly list out some of the lens that you guys recommend.

Thanks Alot,
    Mark

Default Re: Portrait Lens

Your kit lens + 50mm 1.8. period

I know that ppl are going to say the 85mm too, but it is up to your individual style.
    I would prefer to use a 50mm f1.4!

IMO, is both the EF 85mm f1.8 and the EF 50mm f1.4.
    Still waiting to get my hands on them. My fund for them went to something else that came out of the blue. Sigh......
    Though other may have different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin
    I know that ppl are going to say the 85mm too, but it is up to your individual style.
    I would prefer to use a 50mm f1.4!
    Reason why some would suggest 85mm is that 50mm would be too close if you want shoot head shoulder portraits.

Other than that 50mm should be good enough.

../azul123

If you are using the Canon 350D, and with the FOV being 1.6x, the 50mm lens would be equivalent to an 80mm; barely enough for a H&S shot.

The 85mm lens (133mm) would, of course, be a better alternative for potraits... being a longer focal length.

Like someone mentioned earlier, both are good. If you have already have the kit lens, buy the 85mm.

How about a 70-200mm?
    550D|17-40|70-200 4 IS|100 2.8|50 1.8|ST-E2|580EX|190proB 486RC2

hmm.. i'm selling my kit lens as i have a EF-S 17-85mm. Which lens do u guys recommend me to get so that its more 'compatible' with efs 17-85mm ?? btw.. i would like to shoot head & shoulder portraits. so would a 85mm 1.8 (136mm equivalent) or 50mm 1.8 (80mm equivalent) be a better choice ? or... maybe 50mm 1.4 ?

i read on the lens book that came with my 350D, it says that the 85mm is good for portrait. However, i assume it refers to the 85mm being used on a full frame. however, if i use the 50mm on my 1.6 crop. it would be 80mm so is it enough ?

rgds,
    mark
    Last edited by marklim; 19th January 2006 at 11:44 AM.

Deregistered

50, 85, 70-200, 135, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 1200 also can.

To add to espn's list, even fisheye and 35/30 can be added to the list of portrait lens to give different perspective. FOV does not equate perspective. Fisheye for dramatic/comic effect, 30/35 for kids where their face shape can be complimentary with the perception wide angle brings.

A 50mm may "look" like 80mm or thereabouts, but the perspective is slightly different.

for portraiture, what kind of focal lengths would be best?

i've used a 28-105 lens for that purpose, and i've a picture snapped at wider than 50mm, about 28-40mm range, and the person's face looked a little distorted in a sense that it's been slightly pulled longer.

is it due to the wide focal length that caused this "distortion"? or could it be just that my eyes are playing tricks on me?

Quote Originally Posted by antitrust

i've used a 28-105 lens for that purpose, and i've a picture snapped at wider than 50mm, about 28-40mm range, and the person's face looked a little distorted in a sense that it's been slightly pulled longer.

is it due to the wide focal length that caused this "distortion"? or could it be just that my eyes are playing tricks on me?
    That's the perspective I was talking about. An 85mm will have less of this "pull longer" effect than a 50mm, which has less than the 35mm and so on. Of course, I've seen ingenious use of perspectives to use 35mm with remarkable success, even with grown women.

My wife hated the photo I shot with wide, but my sister loved the shot I took of my niece with the same lens. I guess my niece would grow up to hate it when I use a wide on her.

Thus, there's no best. Experiment and try with a zoom, and decide which prime to get (first) from there. Max aperture and bokeh should also be taken into account for portraiture as well.

well.... we are glad some of you are aware that FOV and lens characteristics are too different issues.

If you love taking portraitures, any focal length from 85mm onwards is ideal for the job....it's how far/ near you have to be from your subject to get your preferred composition/ frame

If you have more budget and can afford them, 85mm, f1.2L & 135mm, f2L are also excellent lenses... If not, settle for the 85mm, f1.8 ....someone is selling at B&S for SGD500 ...good price IMHO

I feel like getting a 10-22 or 10-20 for portrait. Think most of the people won't appreciate that. Haai.

I may be selling my 85 1.8 too...its a great lens but im planning to upgrade cause just got my bonus

ok thanks guys.

btw, pardon my ignorance, whats the difference between 50mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 II?

judging by the photos in the link, 50mm 1.8 II looks *old* and the 50mm 1.8 looks *newer*

can someone explain to me whats the difference with I , II & III ?

if i'm not wrong, its markI markII & markIII ??

rgds,
    mark
    Last edited by marklim; 19th January 2006 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    50, 85, 70-200, 135, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 1200 also can.

Quote Originally Posted by marklim
    ok thanks guys.

btw, pardon my ignorance, whats the difference between 50mm 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 II?

judging by the photos in the link, 50mm 1.8 II looks *old* and the 50mm 1.8 looks *newer*

can someone explain to me whats the difference with I , II & III ?

if i'm not wrong, its markI markII & markIII ??

rgds,
    mark
    I would prefer the MkI because it gives me the focussing distance meter....I heard that the MkII is lighter and the focussing ring also changed.U can go to canon lens musuem to take a look.

From what I see, MkII came out because MkI is too expensive? MkI is more expensive and heavier.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by antitrust

Read Post #9 of this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast