Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uniquely Singapore places

Default Re: Uniquely Singapore places

I agree.. The essence of the thread is a list of special places CS-sers could consider going to for shoots with a S'pore flavour. Even if the best description of these places is not "unique", was there a need to be so pedantic?

Quote Originally Posted by redstone
    Finding fault in my posts..............

recommending that you do some research before posting is 'finding fault' in your posts? right, i give up.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    I agree.. The essence of the thread is a list of special places CS-sers could consider going to for shoots with a S'pore flavour. Even if the best description of these places is not "unique", was there a need to be so pedantic?

Being pedantic is one issue, helping to correct certain errors for the benefit of all, falls into the category of helping others.And that should never be a negative thing.In this case, what is nitpicked on, is not spelling, nor is it grammar(those, IMHO, are issues more intertwined with being pedantic).What some of the members have tried to do here, be it subtly or slightly over-the-top in terms of tone, is try to bring more knowledge and enlightenment to this thread.

Anyway, I feel that the conflict began out of a sheer difference in frequency and how certain individuals perceive constructive criticism to be.So it's not about finding fault for the sake of thread crashing, rather, it is ultimately the goal of enrichment that is surely the aim of everyone here.

Cheers.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Black & White bungalows
    As their name implies, they are always painted in the two colors. B&W bungalows can be found all over Singapore, in the old areas. There also have unique styles of their own. Generally being Tropical Neo-Classical in design. Only found in Singapore and Malaysia if I'm not mistaken.
    1. The word 'Bungalow' orignated from India in the later 1600s/early 1700s, where British described houses built to suit the hot, humid tropical weather as being built in Bengal style.

2. These black and white Bungalows (which style is adopted by colonial immigrants) found throughout the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia are direct climatic design responses to the weather compared to the heavily sealed temperate European houses.

3. Large spanning pitch roofs are the result of the direct borrowing of the tropical vernacular roof efficient in the draining off of rain water during monsoon season. The house has large open verandahs to setback the enclosed living areas to gain more shade for the latter. Perforated walls and louvred windows allow for the building facade to 'breathe' in order to ventilate the inner spaces. The white colour on the exterior primarily reflects sunlight, and thus prevent the building from absorbing excessive solar heat.

4. These Bungalows are often built on 'stilts' to rise above the flood that occurs during the monsoon, at the same time the black oil-based paint on the foot of each column is treated to deter pests from climbing up the columns. This is a borrowed wisdom from the tropical vernacular, where traditional timber base construction are always layed above stone 'pads' with similar function.

5. The structural layout and ornamentation of Bungalows often reflect the culture of the local, like the 'borrowing' of the '4 pillars' found in Mosques (check out Burkill Hall in Botanical Gardens), the use of Chinese decorative tiles etc. making each Bungalow unique.

just some short points i can think off my mind now. if you want to talk about finding fault, this is finding fault and showing you where your fault lies. i don't want to go into details of every listed spaces, i recommend you go to the library to find out more.
    Last edited by eikin; 23rd January 2006 at 09:42 AM.

Hey redstone,

I gave up finding answers to the Tyersall house. It seems that my father gave very vague answers. Anyway not to OT much, I think we should start shooting old HDB flats like Teban Gardens, Geylang, Taman Jurong, Boon Lay, Pasir Panjang etc... I feel that they're 'unique' in our time now. We'll meet up soon for another outing ya?

Cheers
    Hazmee
    Last edited by hazmee; 24th January 2006 at 12:02 AM.

eikin's post is more educational, less confrontational.

The gripe I have is about "unique", saying for example that Raffles hotel is not unique, shophouses not unique, etc.

If you really want unique, there's only one thing there's unique about S'pore, you know that? COE. C'mon!

What value does arguing over whether "unique" is the right word to describe the places recommended?

That's not enrichment, that's being pedantic.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Being pedantic is one issue, helping to correct certain errors for the benefit of all, falls into the category of helping others.And that should never be a negative thing.In this case, what is nitpicked on, is not spelling, nor is it grammar(those, IMHO, are issues more intertwined with being pedantic).What some of the members have tried to do here, be it subtly or slightly over-the-top in terms of tone, is try to bring more knowledge and enlightenment to this thread.

Anyway, I feel that the conflict began out of a sheer difference in frequency and how certain individuals perceive constructive criticism to be.So it's not about finding fault for the sake of thread crashing, rather, it is ultimately the goal of enrichment that is surely the aim of everyone here.

Cheers.

eikin's post is more educational, less confrontational.

The gripe I have is about "unique", saying for example that Raffles hotel is not unique, shophouses not unique, etc.

If you really want unique, there's only one thing there's unique about S'pore, you know that? COE. C'mon!

What value does arguing over whether "unique" is the right word to describe the places recommended?

That's not enrichment, that's being pedantic.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Then I am afraid you have misread my posts.

What I am putting across is the intrinsic value and accuracy of "uniqueness" in differing circumstances.Perhaps it's a case of different strokes for different folks, but accuracy and eye for detail is something valued and enshrined from where I come from, and the study of memory and geographical impact on the social narrative is an important issue to me.

Let's agree to disagree.In the first place, I never shot across the bows, if you have taken the time to notice.Henceforth, if being detailed and and succinct in my speech is deemed as confrontational, then it is a huge miscommunication.The only two-bit and remotely pedantic actions are those up in the thread.

Have a good day.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

The gripe I have is about "unique"
    How about just replacing the word "unique" with "interesting"? Everyone could be happy, and redstone wouldn't get slammed for trying to share and contribute something to this forum.

You are right, I was not referring to you, and there are other more pedantic posts earlier, saying X is not unique because it's found in Penang, Y is not unique because it can be found in Holland, etc.

However, I disagree that "pedantic" means just quibbling over grammar or spelling or punctuation. That's why I quoted your post.

Pedantic means not being able to see the big picture. It's obvious that redstone used "uniquely" because it's the current catchphrase promoted by S'pore Tourism Board.

It's also obvious that the intent of the thread is to recommend a series of special places for CS-ers to consider shooting.

Whether "uniquely" it's an accurate description is secondary. Hence arguing over the description is losing sight of the big picture and being pedantic.

As for yourself, it may be important to correct Redstone's place descriptions for accuracy. I don't regard that as pedantic per se unless your intent is to point out every single inaccuracy and ask him to retract every description and cease and desist spreading any inaccurate information. That would not only be pedantic, but obssessive and compulsive behaviour. Sort of like some of our politicians, actually.

We all make mistakes from time to time, we may be wrongly informed, so being corrected is fine. However, it should not detract from the purpose of the thread. And frankly, even if the place description is totally inaccurate (eg lets say redstone claims the black and white bungalows were built by aliens), it does not diminish their photographic value and will not cause them to be dropped from the list of places recommended for shooting by CS-ers.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerLordz
    Then I am afraid you have misread my posts.

What I am putting across is the intrinsic value and accuracy of "uniqueness" in differing circumstances.Perhaps it's a case of different strokes for different folks, but accuracy and eye for detail is something valued and enshrined from where I come from, and the study of memory and geographical impact on the social narrative is an important issue to me.

Let's agree to disagree.In the first place, I never shot across the bows, if you have taken the time to notice.Henceforth, if being detailed and and succinct in my speech is deemed as confrontational, then it is a huge miscommunication.The only two-bit and remotely pedantic actions are those up in the thread.

Have a good day.

You are right, I was not referring to you, and there are other more pedantic posts earlier, saying X is not unique because it's found in Penang, Y is not unique because it can be found in Holland, etc.

However, I disagree that "pedantic" means just quibbling over grammar or spelling or punctuation. That's why I quoted your post.

Pedantic means not being able to see the big picture. It's obvious that redstone used "uniquely" because it's the current catchphrase promoted by S'pore Tourism Board.

It's also obvious that the intent of the thread is to recommend a series of special places for CS-ers to consider shooting.

Whether "uniquely" it's an accurate description is secondary. Hence arguing over the description is losing sight of the big picture and being pedantic.

As for yourself, it may be important to correct Redstone's place descriptions for accuracy. I don't regard that as pedantic per se unless your intent is to point out every single inaccuracy and ask him to retract every description and cease and desist spreading any inaccurate information. That would not only be pedantic, but obssessive and compulsive behaviour. Sort of like some of our politicians, actually.

We all make mistakes from time to time, we may be wrongly informed, so being corrected is fine. However, it should not detract from the purpose of the thread. And frankly, even if the place description is totally inaccurate (eg lets say redstone claims the black and white bungalows were built by aliens), it does not diminish their photographic value and will not cause them to be dropped from the list of places recommended for shooting by CS-ers.

Wai Leong
    ===
    Some good points there.Well, no hard feelings.

More likely you think your posts are faultless? Maybe you should learn to accept the advice given instead of think that you are above fault. What pple are trying to tell you is that you shld do some reaserch before you lay claim to some of what you say.
    Still, it does look like you and your supporters refuse to see that , then too bad for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Germinc
    More likely you think your posts are faultless? Maybe you should learn to accept the advice given instead of think that you are above fault. What pple are trying to tell you is that you shld do some reaserch before you lay claim to some of what you say.
    Still, it does look like you and your supporters refuse to see that , then too bad for you.
    Nobody refuses to admit the mistake, its just redundant to keep saying it. It was learnt, and we need to move on from there.

Its as good as saying the Japanese should be blamed for their atrocities and that we should isolate them.

Redstone: Perhaps what you can do now is close this thread, and open one with the appropriate title/opening.
    Last edited by Slivester; 27th January 2006 at 08:02 PM.

All I am trying to do was to share some nice places to shoot.

And ended up getting seriously flammed for minor mistakes. As if I am publishing a research journal.

Thread closed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123