Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Expert pls help. Need powerful flash for project

Default Re: Flash Expert pls help. Need powerful flash for project

Quote Originally Posted by lowy
    Hi all,
    A noob here. Currently, I am doing a project on high speed photography. I need intense lighting to take picture at in terms of 0.1-0.2 million fps.

Thanks for your attention
    A noob is sent to shoot an F15 jet taking off ?

http://ssls.nus.edu.sg/index.html

ask them for help? :P
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Let's just say that the high speed camera I am using is at about 10 years old bah. I am not sure how it works or what you meant by tracing the movement?
    That is another video based high speed camera which can capture in terms in seconds. The bad thing is that the higher fps it goes, the smaller the resolution it gets. For a 30000 fps, it can only provide 256 by 256 pixels...
    No.. I was just wondering if it was based on electronic image sensing or by using mechanical shutters. I didn't understand why there was a need to set up a digital camera to shoot the phosphor screen. Can't the image be captured electronically?

The manual never say. I think it actually work on shutter control itself cos I can heard the movement of the shutter by itself. Here's a picture of it. The round is travelling about 480m/s... The frames goes continuously like in this sequence:
    3 2 1
    4 5 6
    9 8 7
    10 11 12
    15 14 13
    16 17 18

Last edited by lowy; 22nd January 2006 at 06:30 PM.

The manual never say. I think it actually work on shutter control itself cos I can heard the movement of the shutter by itself. Here's a picture of it. The round is travelling about 480m/s... The frames goes continuously like in this sequence:
    3 2 1
    4 5 6
    9 8 7
    10 11 12
    15 14 13
    16 17 18
    Ah. That was my guess. In a situation like this, maybe you can try the studio flash. Or what you can do it to get the set of Akira studio strobes which comes in a set of 3 and cost around $600+. I don't know if they are powerful enough but if you are able to modify it by wiring the flash tube into the chamber.

Was that one of your shots? What setting did you use and how much faster do you need to go?
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 22nd January 2006 at 10:41 PM.

Yes. That's one of my photo I taken. The setting is 5us for interval frame delay and 5us for shutter opening. So overall the fps is 0.1 million.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon
    Ah. That was my guess. In a situation like this, maybe you can try the studio flash. Or what you can do it to get the set of Akira studio strobes which comes in a set of 3 and cost around $600+. I don't know if they are powerful enough but if you are able to modify it by wiring the flash tube into the chamber.

Was that one of your shots? What setting did you use and how much faster do you need to go?
    The shot looks ok to me except for some light falloff at the corner, which might be due to the way the image is captured with the digital camera. Is there not enough details in the shots?

Sadly no. The pentration at the exit face should be more visable...

Sadly no. The pentration at the exit face should be more visable...
    In that case, you will probably need only 1 to 2 stops more exposure. You may want to try the Akira studio flashes. I am sure it's a whole lot more powerful than a Metz 30. A set of 3 lights should costs about $600 which I think should be quite affordable. You can buy it from Akira opopsite IMM. Then you can modify one to fit the flash tube in the chamber running highly insulated wires to the head outside the chamber.

There is something I realised about the flash bulb which I dismantled. The flash bulb itself is connected with a positive and negative from the circuit (from the flash itself orginally) and there is another extra wire connected to the negative side. The connection to that wire to the circuit in the flash was broken by mistake and when I triggered the flash, it become so power that there is some burnt mark by the side of the flash liao. So is that connection restricting the maximum potential of the flash itself?

There is something I realised about the flash bulb which I dismantled. The flash bulb itself is connected with a positive and negative from the circuit (from the flash itself orginally) and there is another extra wire connected to the negative side. The connection to that wire to the circuit in the flash was broken by mistake and when I triggered the flash, it become so power that there is some burnt mark by the side of the flash liao. So is that connection restricting the maximum potential of the flash itself?
    I think it is some kind of feedback line to prevent the voltage from getting too high. It's probably to preserve the flash tube.

I don't think using consumer studio strobe would be able to recycle fast enough at the speeds that you are shooting at. Even if you could get the stobes to recyle that quickly you would probably have to have the strobes at the lowest power setting.

I personally don't think that a digital camera would be able to, again shoot at the speeds that you want. You are better off using a mechanical shutter, I think.

An Arri at high speed, shoots somewhere between 300 to 400 fps. Don't know if that is high enough. If that is the case you would have to use a continuous, flicker free light source. If you were using a strobe you would probaby have to syncronise the shutter speed to the frequency of the strobe. Not easy in my opinion.

Ever thought of using those strobes found at those discos?? You would probably need a few of them.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    I don't think using consumer studio strobe would be able to recycle fast enough at the speeds that you are shooting at. Even if you could get the stobes to recyle that quickly you would probably have to have the strobes at the lowest power setting.

I personally don't think that a digital camera would be able to, again shoot at the speeds that you want. You are better off using a mechanical shutter, I think.

An Arri at high speed, shoots somewhere between 300 to 400 fps. Don't know if that is high enough. If that is the case you would have to use a continuous, flicker free light source. If you were using a strobe you would probaby have to syncronise the shutter speed to the frequency of the strobe. Not easy in my opinion.

Ever thought of using those strobes found at those discos?? You would probably need a few of them.

Just my 2 cents.
    One strobe of the ordinary flash would be more than long enough for lowy to capture all the 18 frames.

Paiseh all, Now I got another problem. My sup wants me to look out for those rail system like those for filming movie which can move the camera easily (cos it is approx 30kg). Anyone knows where got sell or link I can take a look?

Unless you have a huge budget, I think you would be better off renting one rather that trying to buy one. Those things are not cheap.

And also it is not just the track you would need the dolly(the thing that goes on the track).

http://www.dannyboyservices.com/dollys.html

I think you are getting in way over your head, if you are wanting to get all this equipment.

Next question, why would you need a track system and dolly for still photographs? Unless you are shooting a video/film then you would need one, other than that I don't see a need for all that, a good tripod would be more than enough.

Just a thought...

How about an array or 2 of cheap fluorescent bulbs??

Perhaps, 5 x 5 Philips Twister (20W), mounted to a square piece of plywood, with aluminum foil or white reflective surface on one side.

Can even cut out the center portion for the lens to peep through
    (B=bulb, C=camera lens)

B B B B B
    B B B B B
    B B C B B
    B B B B B
    B B B B B

The above set up gives approximately 24 X 1000 lumens of light output.

Can DIY easily too. May not even break the $200 mark.

As for the camera rail, if the camera is currently mounted on a tripod, you can also consider getting a tripod dolly from Cathay Photo. Cheaper alternative? Go Ikea or some hardware shop and buy yourself the heavy duty castors used for furniture. Then make yourself a sturdy trolley for the camera using the castors, thick plywood, screws or bolts and nuts.

Allan
    Last edited by chaltan; 8th February 2006 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12