Thread: Split Thread: Wai's power supply questions

hope darren dun mind abt this OT...may be the mod can help me to split this up?

ok...here is the list may have some more device to add...

I need a battery that can power up the followings continuously for 6 hours at least, all of them require 12V DC

a telescope's computer
    a laptop <- main batt eater,as it is constantly capturing video/pictures and have to assist the telescope's computer
    a Hi8 video camera
    a CCD camera with peltier/fan cooling
    a small portable TV <- not for entertainment, but for display of images
    two digital cameras
    Last edited by Wai; 14th November 2002 at 01:00 AM.

Originally posted by Wai
    hope darren dun mind abt this OT...may be the mod can help me to split this up?

ok...here is the list may have some more device to add...

I need a battery that can power up the followings continuously for 6 hours at least, all of them require 12V DC

a telescope's computer
    a laptop <- main batt eater,as it is constantly capturing video/pictures and have to assist the telescope's computer
    a Hi8 video camera
    a CCD camera with peltier/fan cooling
    a small portable TV <- not for entertainment, but for display of images
    two digital cameras
    OK, I have split this latest post into a new thread.

Looking at the number of equipment that you would have to power, I am inclined to suggest that you get an AC generator and then use separate DC adapters for each piece of equipment.

216W of total power consumption is not a whole lot of power, but if you have to draw that kind of power off a single 12V source than the current becomes dangerously high at 18 A.

An AC generator with 220V output can easily supply the required power at less than 1.5 A (including losses in the separate DC adapters).

To me, a single battery supply for all that equipment is not practical.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by roygoh

216W of total power consumption is not a whole lot of power, but if you have to draw that kind of power off a single 12V source than the current becomes dangerously high at 18 A.
    ic....i guess this will be the main problem??

may be those power supply with multiple source will be safer?

AC generator....i think too bulk and expensive already....

Originally posted by Wai

ic....i guess this will be the main problem??

may be those power supply with multiple source will be safer?

AC generator....i think too bulk and expensive already....
    I did a quick search for portable generator and yes, they are indeed very expensive (>US$1k). The power rating is also in the kiloWatt range, so it is an overkill for your application.

Alternatively you can get an AC invertor that is powered by the car battery/generator. No experience in that. There are a lot rated at a few hundred volts, and priced around US$200.

Finally, you might want to take a look at the following:

http://www.cetsolar.com/xpower600.htm

40 AH capacity at 12V. Also has 110 Vac output.

Did you get the total current requirement of 18 amps by adding the output ratings of the DC adapters, or by adding the current consumption ratings given in the specifications?
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Consider these UPS selling?
    www.apc.com

If you are using car battery, maybe you can get these DC->DC voltage regulators to supply your stuff directly. Less losses.