Thread: How to get a A4 or bigger print from a portrait?

Default How to get a A4 or bigger print from a portrait?

Wonder if anybody have tried shooting a family portrait hung on the wall, and get 1 of the family member's picture so that can use for memorial picture... (dun ask reason ok, cos sad enuff liao...)

I know if the picture is glass/plastic mounted have to remove the top piece... just that if its glossy, how to position the lights & such... i have a macro lens, should be able to rite... what else i need?

I dun think i can bring the photo to do a flatbed scan... and i think they prefer that portrait.

or best of all, who got experience in shooting like tis? or would like to teach me a step by step how to do it?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Re: How to get a A4 or bigger print from a portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    Wonder if anybody have tried shooting a family portrait hung on the wall, and get 1 of the family member's picture so that can use for memorial picture... (dun ask reason ok, cos sad enuff liao...)

I know if the picture is glass/plastic mounted have to remove the top piece... just that if its glossy, how to position the lights & such... i have a macro lens, should be able to rite... what else i need?

I dun think i can bring the photo to do a flatbed scan... and i think they prefer that portrait.

or best of all, who got experience in shooting like tis? or would like to teach me a step by step how to do it?
    i had to do that for my late uncle's funeral cos they urgently needed a photo. tried scanning but those canvas marks super obvious. in the end i shot using dslr with bounce flash, then touch up in ps.

to reduce light reflection, i positioned the photo as vertical as possible and switch off all the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i had to do that for my late uncle's funeral cos they urgently needed a photo. tried scanning but those canvas marks super obvious. in the end i shot using dslr with bounce flash, then touch up in ps.

to reduce light reflection, i positioned the photo as vertical as possible and switch off all the lights.
    thanks... was thinking scanning will bring those mark as well... wats the file size u used? and to print, where is fastest?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

sorry to hear that,

for this, use copywork lighting set up,

camera 90 degree with the photo, two lights, one each at a side, 45 degree aim at the photos, use a longer lens if possible, so no reflection.

Hope this help.

pm yqt if you need more helps.

thanks... was thinking scanning will bring those mark as well... wats the file size u used? and to print, where is fastest?
    i resized to a4 and print using my canon inkjet...on matt photo paper. it didn't look that great but after they framed it, it actually looked pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    sorry to hear that,

for this, use copywork lighting set up,

camera 90 degree with the photo, two lights, one each at a side, 45 degree aim at the photos, use a longer lens if possible, so no reflection.

Hope this help.

pm yqt if you need more helps.
    thanks! actually i dun need so soon lah, just that they needed help in it. so helping them as much as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i resized to a4 and print using my canon inkjet...on matt photo paper. it didn't look that great but after they framed it, it actually looked pretty good.
    i think black & white should be not much of a problem rite... or need to make sepia? i am not very good in tis type of stuff... matt better or glossy?

If you're scanning, you can try roygoh's method

I've never tried catchlights method but it seems like a good method.
    will a good cirpol help in cutting the reflection of the canvas surface from the flash? Because the canvas surface is not flat so some white/bright reflections will surely exist?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay

will a good cirpol help in cutting the reflection of the canvas surface from the flash? Because the canvas surface is not flat so some white/bright reflections will surely exist?
    thanks dude!

think i'll bring a gear head to do 8 point shoot...

What?
    seems like a good method?

hello,

last time charge $15 for per piece of copywork on 35mm trans, $25 for 120 trans, $40 for on 45 trans ok.

i rephrase. it's not a "good method" it's a 'PROVEN' method
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

What?
    seems like a good method?

hello,

last time charge $15 for per piece of copywork on 35mm trans, $25 for 120 trans, $40 for on 45 trans ok.
    digital free? or 35mm APS-C 15/1.5 = 10?

i rephrase. it's not a "good method" it's a 'PROVEN' method
    ever see some photog use this kind of lighting set up to shoot portraits?

see already almost want to faint..

digital free? or 35mm APS-C 15/1.5 = 10?

yayaya, DIY is free, ask paul using D2X to shoot for you may be also free, you want?

yup...that was a problem i encountered..but i found still better than the scan i did. will try roy's method if i ever have to do this again

they is a book in library, photograph your artwok, give very details in all type of copyworks set up, may want ot check it out.

anyway, I use studio light to do copyworks, so I can position my lights till very even and no hotspot or reflections, don't need to use PL filter.

Hope this help

they is a book in library, photograph your artwok, give very details in all type of copyworks set up, may want ot check it out.

anyway, I use studio light to do copyworks, so I can position my lights till very even and no hotspot or reflections, don't need to use PL filter.

Hope this help
    i am lucky that this is a flat image, imagine copy from a book.. i die...

i roughly remember a copy stand look..

most likely will be using my 2 cheapo lights, on side with softbox. den camera mounted inverted on the 055proB, camera at vertical down, should be enough liao... maybe for artistic reason, maybe even do a light painting version for them... and lucky me... digital, take wrong can retake... unlike pros like you, do in film... really envy the skills you guys have...

i am lucky that this is a flat image, imagine copy from a book.. i die...

i roughly remember a copy stand look..

most likely will be using my 2 cheapo lights, on side with softbox. den camera mounted inverted on the 055proB, camera at vertical down, should be enough liao... maybe for artistic reason, maybe even do a light painting version for them... and lucky me... digital, take wrong can retake... unlike pros like you, do in film... really envy the skills you guys have...
    hey dude, it's not that hard. Just get the even exposure and alignment right. I've done copy with film 35mm & LF. I don't think you need a softbox, unless one of the lights is seriously brighter than the other. Don't need a PL as long as you off all other lights & follow the laws of reflection.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 19th January 2006 at 04:13 PM.

i've taken the picture... but its on a canvas, so the picture seems to have some artifacts on it... dust like, hard to remove...

anybody know how to get rid of them?