Thread: My Experiment

Default My Experiment

Experimenting with some different lighting techniques and trying out a new style too. What do you guys think? Just slam if needed, I'd expect the first go to be bad.

My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Default Re: My Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Experimenting with some different lighting techniques and trying out a new style too. What do you guys think? Just slam if needed, I'd expect the first go to be bad.
    kind of hard to decide with one pic. any more pics or detailed summary of ur plans?

my humble comments:

I like the "floating" feel of the picture, with the subject in a pensive mood.

However, there are a few points that distracted me:

1. The subject seems too centred, IMHO should shift him (or is it her??) to the right, giving more space on the left for his "pensive thoughts".

2. One part of the chair back seems a little overexposed as compared to the rest of the photo. Quite distracting.

3. The subject is also too high up, such that the lighted part cuts the top of the frame. Would be better if his forehead also "fades off" like the rest of the shot. As it is, I tend to be drawn to his watch first.

Again, just my humble opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by merkava74
    my humble comments:

I like the "floating" feel of the picture, with the subject in a pensive mood.

However, there are a few points that distracted me:

1. The subject seems too centred, IMHO should shift him (or is it her??) to the right, giving more space on the left for his "pensive thoughts".

2. One part of the chair back seems a little overexposed as compared to the rest of the photo. Quite distracting.

3. The subject is also too high up, such that the lighted part cuts the top of the frame. Would be better if his forehead also "fades off" like the rest of the shot. As it is, I tend to be drawn to his watch first.

Again, just my humble opinions...
    1. Hmm, I was thinking about the space when I shot this. Perhaps I should have gone with a looser crop.

2. The armrest you mean? I'm still not very good at controlling studio lighting with the positioning at stuff. It'll take awhile for me to figure out how to control highlights.

3. Interesting. I didn't consider this. I'll keep this in mind for future such shots.

Oh, it's a she btw

Foxtwo --> I only made a tentative foray into backlighting and have only produced one picture unfortunately. I will try my best to work on this and post more as time permits.

to me, this pic is good, also depends what you want to show people about this pic.

but got a question.... is that a guy or gal?? certain details must still be shown i think.

that is my personal option only.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Foxtwo --> I only made a tentative foray into backlighting and have only produced one picture unfortunately. I will try my best to work on this and post more as time permits.
    ah ic. reason i asked was i wasn't sure if making it look old-fashioned and timeless (leather cushion, white shirt, pensive pose) was part of the low key lighting style. If they are, then i kinda like where it's headed.

i'm wondering what the photo is supposed to say. what were your intentions?

random thought: i'd like it if it were cropped such that you don't see the eye anymore- just from nose downwards. i think that might accenuate the mood of the shot. the person's eye seems kinda "dead" as compared to the tight-fist-gripping action.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    ah ic. reason i asked was i wasn't sure if making it look old-fashioned and timeless (leather cushion, white shirt, pensive pose) was part of the low key lighting style. If they are, then i kinda like where it's headed.
    Yup I was going for the more laid back style. I'm glad it came through at some level for you. I went with a little desaturation as well to go along with the style. I'll try to produce more soon if I can spare the time.

I didn't expose the eye as I was trying out a portraiture style that didn't include the eyes, the common focal point of a portrait shot. Subject is female but she has very strong features and cheekbones.

saltnlight --> I have thought about what you suggested prior to posting but I decided to go with the original crop. Thanks for the suggestion though