Thread: merlion ....zoom zoom zoom!!!!!

Default merlion ....zoom zoom zoom!!!!!

Hiee....

This is one of those times when the lion refuses to spit!!!!!!!

Regards,
    me

hi! have been curious about the zooming effect.. doesn't the camera shake if u turn the ring?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Default ...hiee......

Hi Den......

I think i havw found a method .....Hmmm should i patent the method......

Such that the camera has minimal shake.....the photo was takan with a wide to tele zoom and it was done with a variable f-numbered lens. F3.5-f4.5.

Why i said that i need variable aperture....as we can see the target (merlion is bright).....so a lens like this would help in reducing the light coming in to the film linearly - i.e...as i zoom in....less light will come in...hence helping to reduce the risk of over exposure....this image was taken at 20seconds exposure at smallest aperture.

The method that i use is to wrap around the lens with a wire (in this case my cable release). Wrapping it with any ruberized material at the zooming ring will do. Then position the wire/tubular wire and form a setup like a toilet flush...with the wire hanging.......(start with wide angle)

Then set into timer mode.......and then start pulling the "toilet flush like" wire downwards slightly before the shutter release.....

Then as the shutter release.....pull down the wire and this will turn the ring (zoom).....and result in the photo as such....

You need"
    Tripod
    Camera
    400 film
    wire(to wrap around zoom ring
    patience to try out - do it without taking any shots first.

Stay tune...i will ost the setup image

NOTE: I used a cable release as thats the only item i have for this on that day...as its a spur of a moment idea....so i suggest you use other different wires to avoid prolong damage to your cable.....

The setup here:

shown handheld...but must use tripod...

regards,
    me
    Last edited by sulhan; 14th November 2002 at 06:59 AM.

Hey Sulhan

U never fail to amaze me. From beautiful scenics to this "radical" shot. Very nice shot of the merlion.

Post more dude!!!

Hmm.... good concept, but you have got a quite a few patches of blown highlights on the merlion body....

Regards
    CK