Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate the E-1 because...

Talking I hate the E-1 because...

I can't get used to it that the dials when set to "M" cannot be programmed!!! Oly needs a new firmware that will allow the dials to be changed! Gotta get them aperture and shutter dials switched hehe im juz ranting. Anyone else have rants?
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Default Re: I hate the E-1 because...

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR
    I can't get used to it that the dials when set to "M" cannot be programmed!!! Oly needs a new firmware that will allow the dials to be changed! Gotta get them aperture and shutter dials switched hehe im juz ranting. Anyone else have rants?
    Don't quite understand you.

Why would one want to "program" when you want it to be in manual?

It is like saying I want to control everything, but please make it easy. If you want it easy, then don't use manual!

Not too sure if its the E1 or the 14-45mm kit lens but I miss a lot of shots as I cant get the focus. The shutter just cannot be depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by student

It is like saying I want to control everything, but please make it easy. If you want it easy, then don't use manual!
    I THINK he wants to swop the 2 dials. Someone likes the aperture on the inner dial, others like it the other way.

Quite agree. I personally think the E-1 is a great cam.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalbuff
    Not too sure if its the E1 or the 14-45mm kit lens but I miss a lot of shots as I cant get the focus. The shutter just cannot be depressed.
    u can set the release priorty to shutter intead of focus lock.

I think if the shutter cannot be triggered, it is probably a failure of auot-focus, especially in low light. Under such circumstances, I switch to manual focus.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I THINK he wants to swop the 2 dials. Someone likes the aperture on the inner dial, others like it the other way.
    You got it just right! For other systems that I've used - ie, Nikon, you can change the main and sub dial's functions

hi student and jbma,
    think the phrasing of the sentance didn't really make it clear. my preference is simply to have the shutter speed control on the main dial found behind and the aperture control on the sub-dial at the front cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by chii
    u can set the release priorty to shutter intead of focus lock.
    Thanks. Never knew this was possible.

dun quite get what u mean by unable to switch? the main dial & sub dial can be interswitchable via the menu setup. even the focus to infinity can be changed to the other way round. i had it changed cos i also came from the nikon film camp.

Yo nightpiper - ive been trying but i can't switch. mmm yeah, i know about the focus to infinity can be the other way round, but i can't find the dial part in the menu.

I can find...

Dial>>P/A/S but no 'M' is there anohter option i might have overlooked??

what i hope for is at when i use 'manual', the dials will be opposite of what they currently are at.

what i hope for is at when i use 'manual', the dials will be opposite of what they currently are at.
    I am playing with my E1 now. Switched to M.

For me, there is no problem. Can you explain why you find that a bother?

Frankly the circular knob(next to LCD) on the Canon 20D is even more of a nuisance. I got rid of my 20D because of that but it has become std and appears on the 350D and even 5D i think.

Yo nightpiper - ive been trying but i can't switch. mmm yeah, i know about the focus to infinity can be the other way round, but i can't find the dial part in the menu.

I can find...

Dial>>P/A/S but no 'M' is there anohter option i might have overlooked??

aaahhhh.... i see what u mean. ya, it seems like there's no customisation in M mode. guess it takes some getting used to. a new firmware to addr this issue wud be nice.

actually what i dun like (not hate, hate is too strong) is its inefficient use of the buffer. when u switch to lower rez in jpg, it still only allows u to take 12 pics continuous (12 RAW continiuous is great though).

there's also a "Y2k" bug, ie, when u have a big CF card & u r shooting low rez jpg, the counter doesn't display anything above 2000 shots. preview LCD also only show 1999.

but i have been living with it, not a big hinderance for shoots, juz nit picking.

Frankly the circular knob(next to LCD) on the Canon 20D is even more of a nuisance. I got rid of my 20D because of that but it has become std and appears on the 350D and even 5D i think.
    huh?which knob?

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    huh?which knob?
    The big cirlular one next to the LCD

Yo student i find it a bother cos i'm used to having the main dial and sub dial switchable. I usually reset these to have the main dial control my shutter speed and the sub dial controlling the aperture value. With it 'reversed' as it is now on the E-1, it is a hindrance to my shooting, not that I can't learn and get used to it, but it would be so much better if it could be customised and switched... err... get it?

hehhehehe~ i think we all have our own personal preferences hehe i just wished they could have a new firmware to allow the 'M' setting's dials to be 'customised' or switched... haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast