Thread: My XX

Default My XX

This is my first submission for your critique though I have been surfing Clubsnap since its inception in 2001. No guts to upload for comment.

Model: Xin Xin (4 years old and very elegant but difficult model to work with)
    Shot with a 50mm prime lens @ f1.8, ISO1000 (I think)
    Light source: Natural afternoon light from the window supplemented by normal room light. No flash
    Background: 2 pieces of coloured paper from Popular
    No cropping, no PS except for resizing for uploading.

I personally feel that DOF is too shallow @ f1.8 as I over-compenated poor lighting by opening up wider. But I like how her tail is shaped and the intense look in her eyes.

Appreciate your honest comments on what and how to improve further.

Default Re: My XX

Nice pose, u actually got a cat to stand still... All my cats just do are lying down...

colours too dull! pull the level highlights back with PS

i like the tail too, very lively. beautiful cat

Not ebough DOF IMO as only the head is in focus while the legs are not.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    colours too dull! pull the level highlights back with PS

i like the tail too, very lively. beautiful cat
    Thanks for the comment.

Colours coming out straight from my camera are usually a little dull, especially for indoor shots. But the printouts are usually quite good, with minor adjustments from the lab tech.

I'm not really into PS yet as I am still learning the tricks of the software.

I shoot with a film camera mentality: hopefully one shot one kill with good composition, no handshake and with no need for cropping. I hate post processing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Not ebough DOF IMO as only the head is in focus while the legs are not.
    Yeah, the DOF is really too shallow. Will probably push up my ISO and reduce aperture as graininess does not appear to be a problem for my camera at high ISOs.

Personally, I think the monotonous background make the picture a little boring (not sure whether it's due to its yellow colour or lack of big contrast with the cat or something else).

It would be better if the DOF is deeper so that the tail is also in focus and if the cat is looking intensely into the camera instead of elsewhere (I suppose this is a portrait rather than a candid shot).

Just my personal view.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    Personally, I think the monotonous background make the picture a little boring (not sure whether it's due to its yellow colour or lack of big contrast with the cat or something else).

It would be better if the DOF is deeper so that the tail is also in focus and if the cat is looking intensely into the camera instead of elsewhere (I suppose this is a portrait rather than a candid shot).

Just my personal view.
    Thanks for your comments.

My aim was to achieve a "studio" look at home and thus the choice of background. What colour of background do you think would bring out the picture?

I've tried straight in the face shots before but they tend to look more 2D as it compresses the face. It does not work for XX.

I've seen very nice studio shots of cats in overseas websites by established pet photographers but so far, none yet in Singapore. Most photographers still cannot handle cats (esp the grown up ones) as they are quite unlike dogs when it comes to co-operating with the camera and strangers. We got to try harder.

Blog Entries

not too bad

but i would have gone for a lower pov to get more wall and less floor

btw the joining point of thewall and floor is tilted

Quote Originally Posted by kiat
    Thanks for the comment.

Colours coming out straight from my camera are usually a little dull, especially for indoor shots. But the printouts are usually quite good, with minor adjustments from the lab tech.

I'm not really into PS yet as I am still learning the tricks of the software.

I shoot with a film camera mentality: hopefully one shot one kill with good composition, no handshake and with no need for cropping. I hate post processing.
    you don't do yourself justice by ignoring digital post process for online viewing.

my mentality: arrange to have the best lighting whether daylight/flash/lights; pushing the shutter with the optimum compositions; cropping/white balancing/filter effect in camera; and finally dictating post process. Do the first 3 things right and you hardly have to do any post process but after conversion to digital, PP a must as you do not get a 100% colour replication.

Dull colours are attributed to lighting conditions, and to a certain extent eqpt used: lenses, film. I think you should invest in at least 1 off-shoe flash (w/ sync cord) unit and a ambient/flash lightmeter if you want better results.

leveling was one of the first things i learnt (on my own) in PS. i hadn't even understood what layers were at that time.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 17th January 2006 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    not too bad

but i would have gone for a lower pov to get more wall and less floor

btw the joining point of thewall and floor is tilted
    Thanks for the comment on the composition. May I understand how this lower POV will improve the pic? I think I was almost level with her when I shot her (she was standing on a cupboard top).

Yup, the paper was a little bent from insufficient storage space. Would have to tape it down next time.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    you don't do yourself justice by ignoring digital post process for online viewing.

my mentality: arrange to have the best lighting whether daylight/flash/lights; pushing the shutter with the optimum compositions; cropping/white balancing/filter effect in camera; and finally dictating post process. Do the first 3 things right and you hardly have to do any post process but after conversion to digital, PP a must as you do not get a 100% colour replication.

Dull colours are attributed to lighting conditions, and to a certain extent eqpt used: lenses, film. I think you should invest in at least 1 off-shoe flash (w/ sync cord) unit and a ambient/flash lightmeter if you want better results.

leveling was one of the first things i learnt (on my own) in PS. i hadn't even understood what layers were at that time.
    Thanks but I think I will pass investing in a off-shoe flash and light meter. I'm still not making any returns on my cam so far except for capturing memories, which is what the cam is intended (for me at least) .

I'll have to invest more time into PS then as I don't think it is an equipment problem (outdoor shots are not dull). Probably more of lighting problem. Do you have the same problem with your equipment when you shoot at home w/o the aid of flash or additional lighting sources?

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comment on the composition. May I understand how this lower POV will improve the pic? I think I was almost level with her when I shot her (she was standing on a cupboard top).

Yup, the paper was a little bent from insufficient storage space. Would have to tape it down next time.
    when you lower your pov, the camera will see less floor as the floor becomes the same level as the camera. try it

Thanks but I think I will pass investing in a off-shoe flash and light meter. I'm still not making any returns on my cam so far except for capturing memories, which is what the cam is intended (for me at least) .

I'll have to invest more time into PS then as I don't think it is an equipment problem (outdoor shots are not dull). Probably more of lighting problem.
    oh sorry, mistook that you were going into professional pet photography. if not flash, i guess you could still purchase a couple of standing lamps with directional heads instead. (i'm not sure where to get them actually.)

Do you have the same problem with your equipment when you shoot at home w/o the aid of flash or additional lighting sources?
    yeah of course, what's bright enough for the eyes is never bright enough for the lense, even wide open.