Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2710111213 LastLast

Thread: Who are we? What are you?

Default Re: Who are we? What are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    Haha.

Looks like you've got my hidden message.

The world will become a ridiculous place if a person has to be good in the thing before he is allowed to have a negative opinion on it.
    I see... in that case.

heheheh.

../azul123

hmm... i think that canonised was correct in that analogy he drew up... the term 'professional' can be given to someone for academic achievements or some other achievement that demands the title of 'professional'... however, it think that it has to be earned (socially or academically) whether or not they deserve the title, but not taken upon oneself just like that. Sry if i OT'd!!! my bad!
    Budget wedding photographer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet

We had been OT for a while, steering things back, I still cannot stand wannabe professional photographers, whose ony claim to fame is a big professional looking DSLR, and maybe did a paid shoot or 2, and know nothing about the craft nor the business.

DP, now your question about Pros is clearer after you rephrase it.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 22nd January 2006 at 02:45 PM.

Hello to all camera holding people,

Firstly, I am not asking for a curry with DP, or a DP curry, or what ever

I would like to congratulate DeadPoet for starting this thread.

I know that "anyone could have", but DP did and thanks to him.

This has to be one of the best discussions I have read in CS for some time.

There have, so far, been many intelligent words written by many with different views.

As much as I believe this to be so far a healthy discussion and will help awareness, I am equally happy to see no one "giving the finger" type of replies.

May this, and future threads of this nature be long and fruitfull.

Cheers to you all
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Would you call him a professional doctor if he only treats like 1 or 2 patients a year, and on top of that, half his "patients' are his mother/father etc? But he has the top of the line MRI/CAD whatever machines. Perhaps you've misunderstood Deadpoet's intentions.
    For any licensed doctors, (or accountants, lawyers, etc), whether he treats only 1 or 2 patients a year or a thousand, legally he is recognised as a professional (in his profession) ..... that's, no one can take away his title.
    But in this thread, photographers (or cleaners, waitresses, stewards, etc) have no such accreditation system and as such anyone can call himself a pro and there is no right or wrong about this. It is up to us to accept or reject his title.
    I am so sure many of us here have been called a professional one time or other, when we showed our photos to some friendz, etc. I guess most of us will feel a bit embarassed and brushed it off as "no la, i m still learning from others"... (Maybe inside us we feel shiok because it is a recognition from someone who likes yr work - but are we up to a real pro's standard?). The one who comments that (let's call him Mr K) is probably someone who find your works good enough and respectable. Probably he has only a P&S or even a 1D, but still he finds that yr work is good enough to be a pro (in his view and experience). Maybe if we show our photos to some others, they may feel that they are only very amateur-standard....
    Personally I m not bothered by any ppl who call themselves pro. I just want to see their work and decide for myself whether that person is a pro. But, isnt me the same as Mr K?
    To give another example, I feel some waitresses, models, etc are so good in their works that I am willing to call them professional. To me, a pro is someone who does his job and duties to the highest level of satisfaction to his client. Recently we engaged a young photographer (23 yo) for a simple job. He arrived 15 mins before time and completed his assignment without any instruction from us. He didnt have a big cam or lens but his quality is what we wanted and satisfied. He didnt call himself a pro but i will not hesistate to term him a pro. For models, people who know her will agree with me, but I find this Doville to be a real professional.
    Not trying to pinpoint anyone,for some ppl, it is very hard to accept others when they call themselves names. I guess the reasons are many and probably only a psychologist can explain better.
    For God's sake, dont call yourself a pro, let your works speak on your behalf (n definately not your hardwares!)
    always the Light, .... always.

What an interesting day. Went pub crawling this afternoon, like many Sundays, met up with a friend and knowing that I love to shoot, she introduced me to a friend who is a ...... well, I couldn't believe it, a WBPP. I did not say a word, not sure if he is a member of CS, I pretened to be totally ignorant about the finer points in photography, I probably am , and let him make a fool of himself, to a point that my friend was apologetic, after the WBPP left.

Won't bore you guys wth the details, truthfully, I try not to wast memory space, but it was a good laugh afterwards over a pint or 2 ... actually I think it was 4 or 5 pints afterall.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

What an interesting day. Went pub crawling this afternoon, like many Sundays, met up with a friend and knowing that I love to shoot, she introduced me to a friend who is a ...... well, I couldn't believe it, a WBPP. I did not say a word, not sure if he is a member of CS, I pretened to be totally ignorant about the finer points in photography, I probably am , and let him make a fool of himself, to a point that my friend was apologetic, after the WBPP left.

Won't bore you guys wth the details, truthfully, I try not to wast memory space, but it was a good laugh afterwards over a pint or 2 ... actually I think it was 4 or 5 pints afterall.
    so the WBPP came and left? and left you a silly impression...

What if he is a member of CS or reads CS too and now sees your post?

BTW, care to explain to this newbie what is WBPP. I can only guess that it's probably some accredition (related to Photography?).
    Last edited by Clockunder; 23rd January 2006 at 09:41 PM.

i think it means

"W"anna "B"e "P"rofessional "P"hotographer?

Quote Originally Posted by zhang3feng
    i think it means

"W"anna "B"e "P"rofessional "P"hotographer?
    Ok thanks.

Yawwwnnnn... Why not just shoot first and ask questions later?

Quote Originally Posted by retrospect

The photographs had been taken.

Now the questions.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by student
    The photographs had been taken.

Now the questions.
    I still haven't got my D2X, I cannot be pro

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I still haven't got my D2X, I cannot be pro
    I may never get a D2X, so I have no hope to be a pro!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by student
    I may never get a D2X, so I have no hope to be a pro!
    Good one

and your point is?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

vince123123
    Guests

Unfortunately, that line is being used as a catch-all response to ANY topic that the person using the line doesn't like or doesn't feel like participating in, or is scoffing at. It initially was coined in response to equipment threads and that line would be used to tell someone to forget about equipment and go shoot. Now it has been used for anything...

For your case, maybe its even a subtle dig at your signature heheh :P

and your point is?

and your point is?
    My point? Simple. Why bother and get irritated over what others choose to call themselves?

Let them call themselves what they want, and the rest of us just enjoy the hobby. Discussion is good, but too much of it becomes meaningless because it'll never end.

We can never agree with everything in this world, so why bother getting irritated? Yawwwwwn.

Ok, this shall be my last post. Not coming back to this thread. Enjoy the debate!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Unfortunately, that line is being used as a catch-all response to ANY topic that the person using the line doesn't like or doesn't feel like participating in, or is scoffing at. It initially was coined in response to equipment threads and that line would be used to tell someone to forget about equipment and go shoot. Now it has been used for anything...

For your case, maybe its even a subtle dig at your signature heheh :P
    Hey vince, you're spot on. I can't agree with you more.

I know I said I would not come back to this thread, but I couldn't resist replying after the page refreshed.

Subtle dig? Man, I thought I was too blatant about it already.

vince123123
    Guests

Well, I don't think that his signature was intended to be the way you have made it to be.

Hey vince, you're spot on. I can't agree with you more.

I know I said I would not come back to this thread, but I couldn't resist replying after the page refreshed.

Subtle dig? Man, I thought I was too blatant about it already.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2710111213 LastLast