Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SLR or DSLR?

Default Re: slr or dslr

Quote Originally Posted by drektster
    one thing for sure, if your digitial camera fell dead due to dried batteries, extreme cold temp, you cannot take picture at all. but the cas is different compare to my old FM2. right?
    I don't know what an FM2 is (sounds like a feature on a radio), but my SLR from 1980 requires batteries to operate, and of course if there is extreme cold again the battery-operated film camera can have problems.

As for the film issue, in a few years it may be a moot question...already today it's hard to find some slide and specialty films, not to mention places that will develop them.

Just look how quickly 8mm movie film disappeared after videotape and camcorders came on the market.
    Last edited by Mikefellh; 20th January 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Traditional film technology is very matured while digital still has a long way to go. We are at the crossroads and this is a good time to see the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefellh
    I don't know what an FM2 is (sounds like a feature on a radio), but my SLR from 1980 requires batteries to operate, and of course if there is extreme cold again the battery-operated film camera can have problems.

As for the film issue, in a few years it may be a moot question...already today it's hard to find some slide and specialty films, not to mention places that will develop them.

Just look how quickly 8mm movie film disappeared after videotape and camcorders came on the market.
    The FM2 is a Nikon SLR. Hmmm yeah its quite difficult to find places that do develop slides and even MF or LF. Even if they do accept, they'll sent it somewhere else for developing and this makes it more costly.

But then, there are still pleasures in using film which you will not get from digital.

Well, its a new era but I would not think everyone would be crossing over to digital that soon. Some are really Die-Hard film fans

i used to send my slide to stardard photo if i wants it quick (dateline approaches). it takes 2 days to develope in to prints. now, the slides is still here.

now, after so many years that the automobile industry introduce automatic transmission. the manual transmission car did not die out.

if i am a professional draftman, plot all my drawing using computer. if there is a power failure, i still can use my trusty technical pen, markers , set squares.

if one day those mechanical equipment are all gone. in a power failure, you would die first.
    Last edited by drektster; 22nd January 2006 at 07:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12