Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Proud to be a wedding photographer?

Default Re: Proud to be a wedding photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Wedding photography is also work what.

Even shooting passport photos is nothing to be shamed of.

Some people just have to look and sound bigger because of their inferiority complex.
    Many of these so called commercial photographers never know how to respect their own profession. They assume that doing corporate stuff, shoots for fashion magazine is big time. Other types of professional photography like candid wedding, passport pictures as well as shopping centre glamour shot is chicken feet.

I have done passport pictures, studio/candid wedding, fashion for magazines, annual reports, aerial photography as well as furneral photography in my career. I am proud of my profession. To scorn at any area of professional photography shows immaturity. In the 1980's I have read in a local fashion magazine quoting a big time local fashion photographer that people go for wedding photography because it is easy and need not much photography skills. What a big shame!

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang
    Well, i gotta say, while doing weddings sure isn't as glamarous as working for National Geographic, the pay from weddings is much better and it isn't half as tough as tramping through the jungles of Kenya and being eaten alive by bugs. Don't know about others but I prefer easy money.

Also strikes me as being weird that people would want the most expensive gear they can get their hands on to do a commercial shoot. To me it seems the best thing to do as a pro would be to get the job done with the cheapest equipment to get the highest profit margin. But then again, I guess whatever floats your boat.
    kuang, you're really hitting the nail on the head

To put it simply, the fees you get from editorial jobs really stinks, plus you have picky editors to work with, plus you have to chase them to pay you like 3 months after the shoot.

I prefer to be a low-profile, un-noticed photographer. I don't rig shots, I don't get folks to pose, I don't do group shots unless couple specially requested (nowadays, many relatives have their own digicams that they can do their own). That's my style. This also saves me the trouble of bei ng caught in family politics when you put 2 folks who can't get together.

I do talk to people, but I don't talk to them about photography, even if they start asking me questions about my gear, I will try to switch the topic. Btw, all my equipment are covered with gaffer tapes such that they don't even know the brand names

Sorry for the OT...

Shoot a wedding with a D2X or a 1Ds Mark II and tell that guy that the camera you using is you just bought for fun the previous day to shoot the wedding cos you lazy to use your LF and MF cameras, and that the camera will be junked the next day
    eat. drink. shoot

Whenever people during a wedding ask me, I just say its tough working as one, nothing to be proud of, but I really enjoy the mission of preserving the couple's happiest moment in life. I'll enjoy the day as much as the couple whenever I think I got a good shot in my pocket

gear-wise, I like to have the best that I could so I enjoy shooting the event.
    money-wise...still need to work on it...to make it easy money.
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 19th January 2006 at 03:03 AM.

hmmm i dun really know the photographer mentioned at all ... honestly maybe he is just trying to say that his focus is on commercial photography and he is not really into weddings ..

personally i started out doing lots of wedding and i must say it certainly pays well as long as you can capture the market you want .... till today, i am still shooting wedding for 3 reasons 1. coz it is bread and butter & 2. it is immediate payment once the good is delivered 3. lots of room for creative work ... i do not look down on wedding photography coz it is really hard work ... the photographer is the 1st one to arrive at the bride house and the last one to leave after the wedding dinner ..

but really, i have cut down on wedding and has concentrated more on commercial & travel projects but i never reject wedding if the price is right ... so i think maybe this photographer is just trying to state the point that his/her focus is on commercial and not wedding ...

hmmm juz seeing it from a different angles ... my honest comments ... i salute all wedding photographers .. really tough work ..

Share the same sentiments as Tris.

I am proud to be called a wedding journalist.

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by twisturn
    hmmm juz seeing it from a different angles ... my honest comments ... i salute all wedding photographers .. really tough work ..
    Dun forget wedding videographers too ! ! !
    video cam very heavy to keep holding lei

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    Dun forget wedding videographers too ! ! !
    video cam very heavy to keep holding lei
    Heavy? uncle you still using VHS har?
    anyway videographer don't need to run, can slowly walk.

Quote Originally Posted by arampan
    Normally I'll tok cok with the photographer whole day but this guy so proud, everytime I go near he talk about himself... I xian jit pua... whole day keep quiet and stay away from him...

K.N.N.
    Me too...can share tips with each other while waiting for relatives...can't imagine work together for whole day and no communication at all...must have "mo qi" so that will not block each other view when shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Heavy? uncle you still using VHS har?
    anyway videographer don't need to run, can slowly walk.
    I once saw a professional wedding photographer shooting from a sedan chair carried by 2 men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    I once saw a professional wedding photographer shooting from a sedan chair carried by 2 men.
    Where? where?

i am quite the opppsite.. i only do weddings when it's friend's wedding or friend's sister.. further than that, i sub contract. i usually keep my mouth shut and not say anything about my main field. unless they ask me "so what else i shoot? do i do this for a living." otherwise. i just eat my humble pie.

while shooting wedding, if happens that you meet those real pro, they will just take a look at you and keep quite and let you do all the work....you'll know and feel it once they look at you. Those that made a lottsa noise and claimed that they are pro's.....they ever did what big evens, got awards before, have all kinds of cameras........normally i'll just smile and do my job......no point talking to them much.

Ai-ya. this camera no good wan, I normally use my phase one digital back cos I'm a professional photographer, I don't waste my time doing this kind of wedding shoot. I do big comission jobs. This wan is my sister's friend then only I'm doing. You know, I shoot for all the big hotels and I get a lot of comissioned projects? I also shoot for many local magazines.

phase one? so?
    its so difficult to not generalize singaporeans with such pple around. sigh. kill em all!

here I am stuck doing mostly commercial work so far and looking for a way into the wedding market.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123