Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ND filters..... please explain.....

Default ND filters..... please explain.....

just saw some pics with and without the ND filters....

if i'm not wrong, it saturates the colours right? if so, how different are ND filters from polarizing filters?

any recommendations where to get and what brand to get? i was quoted S$40+ @ CP today for a Hoya +2 ND filter. reasonable? need i get such 'branded' stuff?

ND filters are simply "sunglasses" for your camera. They block out light so that less light reaches your camera so therefore requiring either a larger apperture or longer shutter speed. ND filters are graded by the amount of light that they block out. ND2 blocks out 1 stop of light, ND4 blocks out 2 stops, and ND8 blocks out 3 stops, etc. They supposedly do not alter colour balance or saturation.

$40 for a ND filter?!?!? I got my Hoya 52mm ND4 for only $10...

You read wrongly.

ND filters are supposed to be a uniform neutral gray. The intention is to reduce the amount of light entering the lens so that you can use a lower shutter speed, for example. This is useful in cases when you want a lower shutter speed for shooting things like waterfalls and you are already at the minimum aperture (e.g. f/22) and still can't get a slow enough speed.

Graduated ND filters are half-grey, half-clear and used in situations like landscape photography where the exposure difference between the sky and foreground is too much for the film/digital sensor to handle.

The difference between cheap and expensive ND filters are that the cheaper ones are not multicoated and may not be neutral, which can cause undesirable colour casts.

ND filters does not increase saturation.

Regards
    CK

that is to say ND filters act like 'sunglasses' and i have to stop the camera down to compensate for the 'darkness'

other than because the min aperture is reached and i can't stop it down anymore, what other reasons would there be for me to use an ND filter?

darkness, where did you get your hoya filter?

Originally posted by desmondwong
    that is to say ND filters act like 'sunglasses' and i have to stop the camera down to compensate for the 'darkness'

other than because the min aperture is reached and i can't stop it down anymore, what other reasons would there be for me to use an ND filter?

darkness, where did you get your hoya filter?
    1. When you need to fill flash outdoors, want a wide aperture, and shutter speed is above your flash sync speed.

2. When you are using fast film, want a wide aperture, and shutter speed is beyond what your camera can handle.

3. You feel shiok using one. You can tell your friend "I have ND filter! You have or not?"

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    3. You feel shiok using one. You can tell your friend "I have ND filter! You have or not?"
    thanx for your explaination.... but i think this one a bit the...... eh..... bo liao! haa haa......

say if i were to choose between ND and polarizing, which would be a better option?

Regards
    CK
    I like your last reason. I wonder how many of us are guilty of it.

thanx for your explaination.... but i think this one a bit the...... eh..... bo liao! haa haa......

say if i were to choose between ND and polarizing, which would be a better option?
    They serve different purposes, though a polarizer can act as a ND filter in a pinch.

Regards
    CK

so if that's the case, any good 77mm filters to recommend for the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70 f/2.6 i'm using? and how much would it cost? thanx.
    Last edited by desmondwong; 13th November 2002 at 01:51 AM.

Add one more reason:

4. If you want to achieve a shallow DOF and you need to open up the aperture but the shutter speed is beyond what the camera can handle.

kailord
    Guests

i only have a circular polariser and have tried using it as a poor man's ND filtre... so i should expect colour saturation once i get my pics back huh... even for indoor lighting?

i can't really see well after putting on the CIR-PL .. so dark. normally the viewfinder is already so small and hard to focus.. with CIR-PL even worse...

Just wondering, coz haven't used a graduated ND filter before. Could i still use TTL metering to get the correct exposure since the filter is half-dark, half-light?

andrew

Originally posted by kailord
    i only have a circular polariser and have tried using it as a poor man's ND filtre... so i should expect colour saturation once i get my pics back huh... even for indoor lighting?
    i can't really see well after putting on the CIR-PL .. so dark. normally the viewfinder is already so small and hard to focus.. with CIR-PL even worse...
    Poor man's ND? I thought the ND filter is cheaper.

They serve different purposes, though a polarizer can act as a ND filter in a pinch.

Regards
    CK
    err... really? Polarizer only stops 1 stop max. Can act as ND?

so if that's the case, any good 77mm filters to recommend for the Tokina ATX Pro 28-70 f/2.6 i'm using? and how much would it cost? thanx.
    your quote of about $40 is probably correct.
    Though higher quality Hoya will cost you more for ND filters.
    Also, I strongly recommend if you can ND, dun just get a +2, get at least a ND8 (which is a +3).

Originally posted by Shadus

err... really? Polarizer only stops 1 stop max. Can act as ND?
    so polarizers are like only ND 2?

Originally posted by shawntim

so polarizers are like only ND 2?
    No no, they're not ND at all.
    In fact, they won't block off light evenly.
    I'm curious how to use them as ND filters, so hoping ckiang can enlighten

Originally posted by Shadus

No no, they're not ND at all.
    In fact, they won't block off light evenly.
    I'm curious how to use them as ND filters, so hoping ckiang can enlighten
    Polarizer reduces light, so it can act as an ND filter. A 1 stop ND filter is also a ND filter. I frequently use a polarizer when shooting waterfalls so that I can get the shutter speed low enough. If you use them in the unpolarized position, it should not be too uneven.

This is shot with a Hoya circular polarizer at full polarization, 1s or so at f/22 on Velvia.

Regards
    CK

so in the end wat's the difference betweeen a Polarizer and a ND filter?

Originally posted by SianZronG
    so in the end wat's the difference betweeen a Polarizer and a ND filter?
    As well as reducing light coming into the camera, a polarizer also polarises (duh) and removes glare/reflection and increases contrast/colour saturation under the right conditions.

Regards
    CK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast