Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 79

Thread: Travel to Hokkaido

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Asahikawa is prolly the coldest spot in Hokkaido. But there's nothing more a set of long johns and 3 additional layer of clothes can take care of.

    Akan, Hakodate & Asahikawa. Missed these 3 on my last trip. Otaru was quite charming.

    Next time try Wakkanai, Rishiri islands and other Hokkaido tip cities. Rarely any foreign tourists (except local tourists) goes there during winter.





    Japan is relatively safe so its ok even to walk the streets late at night. Walking on the path less trodden is quite ok even for a 1st time traveller methinks.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  2. #22

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    i second that, while i was there last year at sapporo, chanced upon a misplaced rayban sunglasses and was pretty sure that it's been there for some while...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Japan is relatively safe so its ok even to walk the streets late at night. Walking on the path less trodden is quite ok even for a 1st time traveller methinks.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Little things like these tells u abt the culture of the general populance (black sheeps not withstanding).

    I guess these are one of those little charms that make ppl go gaga over Japan to make repeated trips over and over again.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  4. #24

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    i'm one of them who'll go back there in spring time again....
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I guess these are one of those little charms that make ppl go gaga over Japan to make repeated trips over and over again.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by user12343
    i'm one of them who'll go back there in spring time again....
    ARGH~~~

    Words like these really make me wanna sit down and start planning for my next trip even though its 1yr frm nw.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  6. #26
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Asahikawa is pretty quaint.. from there you can travel to Daisetsuzan. Hakodate, I didn't go, I went to Onuma Koen instead, and also Otaru, where you can find the good sushi yummy...

    If you intend to travel a lot, go buy the JR Rail Pass, there's a 3, 5 day pass, you can take unlimited rides on JR buses and trains by flashing the pass. It's cheaper than paying for per ride.

    There's the famous Clock tower straight right outside Sapporo ahead down a few streets. There's a famous Ramen shop also near Sapporo, I find the ramen there not bad. The ancient civilisation located at Shin-Sapporo has nothing much to see... so don't bother, it's not really worth the 980 (IIRC). Do visit Daisetsuzan.

    I've posted my Hokkaido (Sapporo) shots back in November, you can take a look...

  7. #27

    Smile Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    watch japan hour.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Japan hr is crap for tourists, some of the locations are small towns that is not that easily accessible unless you drive and also they are quite far.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Asahikawa is pretty quaint.. from there you can travel to Daisetsuzan. Hakodate, I didn't go, I went to Onuma Koen instead, and also Otaru, where you can find the good sushi yummy...

    If you intend to travel a lot, go buy the JR Rail Pass, there's a 3, 5 day pass, you can take unlimited rides on JR buses and trains by flashing the pass. It's cheaper than paying for per ride.
    The 3, 5 day pass is assuming u travel in Hokkaido only. Its significantly cheaper than the 7 day JR pass, but its only restricted for use in Hokkaido only. Once u cross over to Honshu, can't use it anymore. The 7, 14, 21 days pass gives u unrestricted travel all over Japan. Assuming u're going on a train ride journey from Tokyo all the way up to Sapporo, its worth ur money.

    There's the famous Clock tower straight right outside Sapporo ahead down a few streets. There's a famous Ramen shop also near Sapporo, I find the ramen there not bad. The ancient civilisation located at Shin-Sapporo has nothing much to see... so don't bother, it's not really worth the 980 (IIRC). Do visit Daisetsuzan.
    I personally think that the Clock tower is overhyped.

    Around Sapporo, there isn't much cultural stuff to see although there's lotsa chances for street photography. Not forgetting the Tanuki Menkoi Street, Susukino & the Ramen Alley in Susukino which is just 2 subway station rides away frm Sapporo Station. Subway ride there shld cost u abt 200Yen or so.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Japan hr is crap for tourists, some of the locations are small towns that is not that easily accessible unless you drive and also they are quite far.
    Prolly its for those more seasoned travellers who are more than willing to take the path less trodden. Not for first time visitors.

    Anyway, some of the Ryokans and restaurants they'd introduced are not exactly cheap....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  11. #31
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    The 3, 5 day pass is assuming u travel in Hokkaido only. Its significantly cheaper than the 7 day JR pass, but its only restricted for use in Hokkaido only. Once u cross over to Honshu, can't use it anymore. The 7, 14, 21 days pass gives u unrestricted travel all over Japan. Assuming u're going on a train ride journey from Tokyo all the way up to Sapporo, its worth ur money.
    Yep.. I stayed in Hokkaido for 5 nights, so the rail pass was very useful, only issue is the timings of the train often makes me rush for the train like mad. I'm often seen running with a RoverPlus + tripod bag at 8 in the morning


    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    I personally think that the Clock tower is overhyped.
    It is... it is. I prefer the TV tower instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Around Sapporo, there isn't much cultural stuff to see although there's lotsa chances for street photography. Not forgetting the Tanuki Menkoi Street, Susukino & the Ramen Alley in Susukino which is just 2 subway station rides away frm Sapporo Station. Subway ride there shld cost u abt 200Yen or so.
    There's breath taking scenary if you're willing to travel.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Yep.. I stayed in Hokkaido for 5 nights, so the rail pass was very useful, only issue is the timings of the train often makes me rush for the train like mad. I'm often seen running with a RoverPlus + tripod bag at 8 in the morning
    6+ better. The sunrise and den u see cloud change colour over the TV tower lagi swee.

    But too bad, most shops ain't open for breakfast at that time...


    There's breath taking scenary if you're willing to travel.
    Bro, want to go again?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  13. #33

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Oh, the other thing abt winter in Hokkaido, you can try their Aurora Ice-breaker cruise, which only operate in winter. Its at Abashiri, the eastern end of Hokkaido though.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=127310
    Yes, there are also agencies there that you can signup day trips, packages etc


    Quote Originally Posted by code
    Thinking of going there in Feb. Any idea what is the cheapest way to get there? Are there direct flights there or do I have to travel via train from Tokyo? Any F&E package by any agencies here?

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    The last time I went in Dec 2004, I took a flight from spore to tokyo narita then, transfer for a 1 hr domestic flight to hokaido. Temp was bet 1 degrees to -10 degrees then. Luckily my f80 can take the cold

    There is also this place where there are shops selling musical boxes which I can't rememeber. Not sure if you guys been there..........

  15. #35

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by CMan

    There is also this place where there are shops selling musical boxes which I can't rememeber. Not sure if you guys been there..........
    I think you are refering to a shopping place (with this steam clock tower or something) in Otaru where they sell a lot of handmade musical boxes. Tour agencies and brochures make it seem like a really romantic place but if you have been to Europe, Otaru is not that breathtaking but overall it is nice. Must try the scallop they grill over the open fire. Really mouth watering.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by code
    Thinking of going there in Feb. Any idea what is the cheapest way to get there? Are there direct flights there or do I have to travel via train from Tokyo? Any F&E package by any agencies here?

    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Try Prime Travel Agency (basement of Hong Leong Building) for cheaper airfares. It has promotions now and then and they do F&E also. If you want to fly to Hokkaido rather than go by train, try to get flights arriving and departing from Tokyo in the same airport. Will save you around $50 per trip for airport transfer.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    You better train yourself running around naked after shower in an air-con environment
    This is true cause that is what I do after getting out of the shower. I ran straight to teh bed and hide under the blanket. Then slowly I get dress.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by kiat
    Try Prime Travel Agency (basement of Hong Leong Building) for cheaper airfares. It has promotions now and then and they do F&E also. If you want to fly to Hokkaido rather than go by train, try to get flights arriving and departing from Tokyo in the same airport. Will save you around $50 per trip for airport transfer.
    Tks!!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    I can wholeheartedly recommend Prime Travel. Just went on a 9-day trip to Hokkaido with them in December. The food and accommodations were first class, and each of us paid only about 2.5K (booked during Natas travel fair). Skiing at Furano, ryokan stays, fantastic onsen and even a trip on the Cassiopea. Fantastic value.

    Here's a typical meal:

    Last edited by StreetShooter; 17th January 2006 at 10:20 PM.

  20. #40
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Travel to Hokkaido

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    6+ better. The sunrise and den u see cloud change colour over the TV tower lagi swee.

    But too bad, most shops ain't open for breakfast at that time...
    Went past at 7 one morning before flying back to Osaka, quite peaceful and quiet there.



    Bro, want to go again? [/QUOTE]I'm tempted, but would like to explore other parts of Japan,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •