Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSLR or Prosumer camera model

Default Re: DSLR or Prosumer camera model

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    18-200vr is costs as much as a new body
    tamron/sigma 18-200

a camera is as good as its user.

but ya if I'd get a dslr all I need is a basic body with a 18-200mm.

Quote Originally Posted by schon
    a basic body with a 18-200mm.
    which is superior in most ways to a prosumer

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata

using a prosumer will always leave u desiring for a dslr and ur very likely to upgrade.
    Maybe upgrade to a 4x5" camera? haha...

Well for me when I made my purchase I have already considered the pros and cons.. so the desire is not in me.. had it been sold to me 2nd hand, I might consider really consider a move to DSLR, but I am satisfied with my purchase

Or you can sponsor me hehe...

And schon, you are right!
    Last edited by Hexlord; 14th January 2006 at 07:15 PM.
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

DSLR or Prosumer. Look, it's going to be a fairly lopsided discussion mainly due to that there are only 2 camps here.
    One: The users who have affirmed their need for the qualities only a dslr gives and thus don't see the point of mucking around with a prosumer.
    Two: The users who understand why there is a prosumer market and can sense you don't have a 100% clear direction of your photography hobby. (eg. me)

Obviously no one here is going to share their account of why getting a dslr was a bad choice. Most likely they have given up on photography because they've failed to sustain interest in it and made a $$ loss in their little misadventure.

My advise, if you are sure you can sustain the interest for the long run, then invest in a dslr system. Else you are better off with a prosumer for general photography.
    Last edited by foxtwo; 14th January 2006 at 07:20 PM.

using a prosumer will always leave u desiring for a dslr and ur very likely to upgrade.
    What is important is that you go through the process of understanding, rationalising why you need to upgrade from a whatever to a dslr. Partly because you have learned more on the technical aspects of photography; you desire a bit more/full control; you are ready to explore other genres of photography in detail; you've wet your whistle and am ready to dive in fully....

There is no telling how long any one person takes to move to the next stage. Months, years, never, given up? Again it's all based on interest.

Without that process (directed at pple who have no clear path in this hobby), well... i just think it's a clear 50% even chance you are wasting your time and so good luck. If you make it we'll see some pictures up in the near future, if you don't we'll see your camera up for sale.

ps. I may be a bit old fashioned. haha... :shrug:
    Last edited by foxtwo; 14th January 2006 at 07:44 PM.

i hav a confession...personally i come from manual slrs. i didnt experience the pns-prosumer-dslr sequence.

many pns now offer manual settings so u can actually develop ur intrest from there and skip prosumers. i dont see a need to upgrade to prosumers from such advanced pns.

a prosumer would be for those unsure abt their hobby

oh well, my comments may be rubbish anyway. I've never seriously touched digital.
    I started & am still using manual slr, and lately invested in LF because that's where my interest lies now.

Yeah, Film is still extremely good. I love it too. Just no $$$ to always spend on developing.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    oh well, my comments may be rubbish anyway. I've never seriously touched digital.
    I started & am still using manual slr, and lately invested in LF because that's where my interest lies now.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    18-200vr is costs as much as a new body, normal consumers will not spend money on that if they are just looking for a regular camera. PnS are normally brought around all the time so the conditions are not there for fungus to grow. But lenses kept in a dry box, can end up unused for months. Dry box is not a foolproof way to stop fungus from growing, thus most of the time only dslr users end up complaining about fungus on the lens.

That reminds me, time to clean my lenses.
    If lenses have to be used so infrequently for fungus to develop, then that would make me very much relieved. Even my telephoto zoom gets fresh air at least once a month, and every once in a while, I take it out and have a play with it, look through both ends etc.

strawberry-shortcake
    Guests

thank you all for the information regarding DSLR and Prosumer camera.

I notice that Sony has a prosumer model - R1, which cost higher than a DSLR from nikon D50, and only just slightly cheaper than Canon EOS350?

What's the key special feature of Sony model vs. that of DSLR models from Nikon and Canon?

pls advise. thank you v. much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12