Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What makes a photo special?

Default Re: What makes a photo special?

Quote Originally Posted by tunster
    Simple answer for you: The Photographer
    why not the viewer rather?

Because he ask "makes" mah, not "looks".

Hehhehee....

Quote Originally Posted by tunster
    Because he ask "makes" mah, not "looks".

Hehhehee....
    but it's 2 way also right? a photograph without a viewer will never be interesting mah even if the photographer is the viewer, there is still a viewer right? ok, think too much liao

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    As for this thing we call 'capturing moments', for example a unique shot and pose that was captured at a sporting event, do we expect the pose as a result of certain actions and capture it or is 'capturing moments' a result of a totally unexpected, unanticipated move and that u're fast enuff to capture it?
    think those are so called photojournalistic shots. you have a fast cam is good enough liao! you can capture moments/emotions/expressions. using those shots to invoke emotions in viewers. making them relate to the actions involved. some might have some composition elements in them. those with composition elements in it are the shots which i felt are special cos they require some good photographic skills to achieve.

IMO, all photos are special. its the viewer who looks at at it that makes it unique. if it strikes a cord with that viewer then its special. if not then its just another photo.

Blog Entries

er... x factor?

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2
    think those are so called photojournalistic shots. you have a fast cam is good enough liao! you can capture moments/emotions/expressions. using those shots to invoke emotions in viewers. making them relate to the actions involved. some might have some composition elements in them. those with composition elements in it are the shots which i felt are special cos they require some good photographic skills to achieve.
    As such, the photographer captures the Moment (regardless of technicality aspect) and its not only the photographer who knows what that photo is about but the viewer him/herself one look at the photo (even though its not taken by him/her) can immediately relate him/herself to the photo without the need for a single explaination by the photographer?

Such is the acme?

*thinks*
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

"Special" means different things to different people - photographers and viewers alike.

My out of focus picture taken 22 years ago of my infant son on the potty doing the "kek" is very special to me. But it will be meaningless to others.

At the end, I feel that the photo is "Special" to you when you will keep it.

You will want to hang it on the wall and look at it, or you may want to keep it and look at it now and then.

Or if you are only to salvage ONE picture in a fire, that will be the one. It may be so because it is so expensive that it is "special", or it may have no or little monetary value, but have everything else. Or it may be both.

Thus, frm ur POV, the word 'special' is relative?

But den again, what makes some photos so special that they are put up for exhibition, or the fact that are featured on magazines, books, mass media, etc, that they stand out?

What exactly is that special tinge of 'element' in them that majority of the ppl see this photo, recognise it as such even like 10yrs or 20yrs down the road? Think Picasso or Leonardo da Vinci. Their works are so great that they stand the test of time even though its a simple portrait of a woman - Mona Lisa.

I'm sure all of us here, ameuter to working professionals are working towards this goal. Works that can stand the test of time over centuries & millenia. Even if its that just "1-hit wonder".
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

as above mentioned, for us humans, Emotion captured will be the most captivating picture. hence the 'photojournalistic' type of photography?

personally I feel that if the photograph can depict a story, it lets the viewer think about the image.

jsbn,

I think your question is about "Special" as in "Special-photographically speaking" or "Special-artistically speaking".

This is my very opiniated POV.

I agree with eikin that "art" should be about life. People can argue whether "photography" is "art". But let us take photography as "art" for the moment.

An unspoken life remains locked with the person. Life spoken speaks to the world. This world may be small, like CS, or it may be large, as to the world. We have always said that photography, like many art forms, is visual communication.

So the photograph aims to communicate. Put in other way, photographs tell stories. And the power of a photograph depends on its ability to tell a story about the subject.

I will name some examples of very special photographs that has stood the test of time.(Although I do not do photojournalistic imagery, I am biased towards them)

Tomoko in the bath by Eugene Smith
    The Migrant Mother by Dorothea Lange
    The Falling Soldier by Capa
    Many many images by Cartier Bresson
    The Naplam girl (cannot remember the photographer)
    The Afghan girl by McCurry.

These images tell powerful stories about life. In the case of Cartier-Bresson, his images pointed out the little "miracles of life" that exist in fractions of seconds before life returns to it banality.

You can chose images from the world of portraitures, or fashion, or landscape etc. At the end of it, the special ones are special because they are so powerful in telling stories.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    The Napalm girl (cannot remember the photographer)
    The photographer was Nick Ut.

read the story

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    The photographer was Nick Ut.

read the story

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm... The Photographer?
    Absolutely correct. It is the photographer who creates the picture. Whether the viewer can appreciate it doen't matter. History has shown that new work by living photographers will never be appreciated as much as it being recognised.

Such new work may or may not be recognised after his death. See how much time it is needed to recognise Picasso's work?

------------------------
    New work from living photographers including images never before done by past masters and not being even noticed by curators.

Quote Originally Posted by forward
    History has shown that new work by living photographers will never be appreciated as much as it being recognised.

New work from living photographers including images never before done by past masters and not being even noticed by curators.

I am afraid I have to strongly disagree with you.

Reverting to history - let me give you a few examples of photographers (dead) whose works were appreciated and recognised while they were still alive.

Stieglitz
    Weston
    Adams
    Bernhard
    Strand
    Avedon
    Smith
    Cartier-Bresson
    Brandt
    Karsh
    Newton
    Bravo
    Penn
    Lindhberg
    Etc etc. Others can add...............

Current living photographers

Gibson
    Kenna
    Hosoe(think he is still alive)
    Newman
    Tenneson
    Carter
    Imboden
    Minkkinen
    Uelsman
    Etc etc etc etc
    Last edited by student; 16th January 2006 at 07:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12