View Poll Results: which range of focal length you most frequently used for pass 3 month

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • ultra wide 10-20

7 6.67%
  • super wide 15-35

25 23.81%
  • normal 24-80

55 52.38%
  • tele 70-200

14 13.33%
  • more tele 100-400

4 3.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which range of focal length you most frequently used for pass 3 month

Default Re: which range of focal length you most frequently used for pass 3 month

12mm...
    sigh.

Default Re: which range of focal length you most frequently used for pass 3 month

i will go for

80% - 100 mm to 400 mm
    10% - 17 mm to 40mm

Smile Re: which range of focal length you most frequently used for pass 3 month

Most of the time 24mm.(~80%)
    Sometimes 50mm.(~15%)
    Others 105mm.(~5%)

since most of us use the 70-200 range (including myself), do you feel it is money wasted on the lens which correct me if i am wrong, most of us have 1 right?

i regrate not taking my friend's advice and went ahead to buy this lens , thinking its very usable although i was using wa most of the time when i bought the 70-200.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

28-105 * 1.5, choose what huh?

Quote Originally Posted by quekky
    28-105 * 1.5, choose what huh?
    hi quekky,

the option here does not refer to any lens, but range of focal length. in your case, you are using a => of 40-160, but what is the focal length or range of focal lenght you use most?

for 18-200 VR... hardly say.. dunno why, i shoot at 18 and 200... guess i want a wide and the subj itself...

My main lens is a 28-105mm, but I tend to shoot from 35mm-70mm.....

If not, either of my prime, 35mm or 50mm.......
    Art is perception; Perception is art.

According to my shooting patterns lately:

1) 135mm ~50%
    2) 50mm ~35%
    3) 85mm ~8%
    4) 17-85mm ~4%
    5) All other ~3%

Most frequently use lens:

35f2
    85f1.8

most frequently used lens:
    70-300mm: 95% of the time at the 300mm, saving up to maybe get at least a 400mm or 500mm. 300mm is still too short for me.

strangely, i m a person who have zero interest in landscape photography, i think i m one that loves details and hence the range i use

occasionally will use the kit lens 18-55 to play with panorama thats all..
    Last edited by kcuf2; 31st January 2006 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    most frequently used lens:
    70-300mm: 95% of the time at the 300mm, saving up to maybe get at least a 400mm or 500mm. 300mm is still too short for me.

strangely, i m a person who have zero interest in landscape photography, i think i m one that loves details and hence the range i use

occasionally will use the kit lens 18-55 to play with panorama thats all..
    no, i dont think it is strange.
    if we viewing from another angle, say tele shooter, is it strange for people to preferr to shoot landscape?

at least like that you dont have to spend lots of money to cover all range of lens.

just enjoy your style of photography.

14mm - non stop, for three weeks. =)

12-80 would be more correct for me.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    since most of us use the 70-200 range (including myself), do you feel it is money wasted on the lens which correct me if i am wrong, most of us have 1 right?

i regrate not taking my friend's advice and went ahead to buy this lens , thinking its very usable although i was using wa most of the time when i bought the 70-200.
    I had a 70-200mm in the past too and didn't use it as often as I liked. However what I feel is more important is the % of keepers you get from a day's worth of shooting, not how often you use a particular focal length range. Looking at it in this light, I get a much higher % of keepers with a 70-200mm lens on a 1.6X crop camera then I do with the kit lens.

Sometimes I find the WA shots a little too common and overdone. Hence, the telezoom crops things tightly and encourages me to think more about capturing just the essence, rather than an expansive view.

In the end, photography is all about getting the shot. Even if you have a lens that is a little less used, it doesn't hurt to hang on to it if it does, on occasion, bring very special, fresh perspectives to your photography. But obviously, if you get to the stage where you want something longer or wider, then sell the current lens and look for the one that you deem more useful.

Have been using my 50mm 1.8 for about 95% for the last 3 mths, or should say 75mm 1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    I had a 70-200mm in the past too and didn't use it as often as I liked. However what I feel is more important is the % of keepers you get from a day's worth of shooting, not how often you use a particular focal length range. Looking at it in this light, I get a much higher % of keepers with a 70-200mm lens on a 1.6X crop camera then I do with the kit lens.

Sometimes I find the WA shots a little too common and overdone. Hence, the telezoom crops things tightly and encourages me to think more about capturing just the essence, rather than an expansive view.

In the end, photography is all about getting the shot. Even if you have a lens that is a little less used, it doesn't hurt to hang on to it if it does, on occasion, bring very special, fresh perspectives to your photography. But obviously, if you get to the stage where you want something longer or wider, then sell the current lens and look for the one that you deem more useful.
    interesting view, % keeper more inportant than % usage. have to think about this angle of view

basically, my range now covers from 16mm FE to 500mm .
    even have a 28-200 ultra zoom lens.
    my lens are not sellable lar, marks all over .

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee
    interesting view, % keeper more inportant than % usage. have to think about this angle of view

basically, my range now covers from 16mm FE to 500mm .
    even have a 28-200 ultra zoom lens.
    my lens are not sellable lar, marks all over .
    That's a very expansive range...covers a huge range of focal lengths. If you're using one of those DSLRs with a crop factor, the 500mm lens will give you the reach of a 750mm or even an 800mm.

Anyway, lenses don't need to be sellable, they just need to be usable. I'm still in the process of working out a permanent but lightweight setup which will be useful under a variety of conditions, and for a variety of subjects.

ha ha ha, i once use a backpacker bag to carry 70-200mm, 300mm, 500mm lens plus d60 and 1vhs, 540ez, 550ex, 190 and 055 tripod, walk for 10km just for fun. almost end up crawling back home.

18-55mm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast